whats the best plastering tip/advice youve been giving

• Thread starter Deleted member 29624
  • Start date

Members online

D

Deleted member 29624

Was thinking today about a few tips pete has given me since I started out and also @zombies bonding in skim tip (which ive now used and was impressed) and was wondering if anyone else had any real good tips they were given that makes life a lot easier....i know its going to sound stupid but the course taught us to lay a ceiling on in waves starting from one wall and then moving back towards the opposite wall...pete showed me to just lay on all the way around the edge and then just fill around the light...only simple but I would have carried on doing it the way I was originally shown and that way is so much faster.

Should've been a sparky..................lol
Or should've tried harder at school
Or perhaps I should've gone to school......lol

Always go over the top with sheeting up, extra 10 minutes spent sheeting saves extra hours cleaning at the end of the day.

Find somewhere to chuck your dirty water before mixing up

Get your pva mixes right

Spend time on your edges and blends

Dont play with it to much

Fill beads first

Always go with beads no into them or you will get a ski slope

I tried hard at school and did well...did the fancy office job and then did this....you never know maybe this is what you were born to do

Ok, everyday is a school day, work with different people, we all do things different, youll pick up things you like and things you don't, tip for you Lodan, when skimming but a shovel of sand in your water for cleaning your whisk, at the end of a few days poor out, one it helps clean your whisk and two, the skim doesn't stick to the bottom of your bucket.

Was thinking today about a few tips pete has given me since I started out and also @zombies bonding in skim tip (which ive now used and was impressed) and was wondering if anyone else had any real good tips they were given that makes life a lot easier....i know its going to sound stupid but the course taught us to lay a ceiling on in waves starting from one wall and then moving back towards the opposite wall...pete showed me to just lay on all the way around the edge and then just fill around the light...only simple but I would have carried on doing it the way I was originally shown and that way is so much faster.
Clean your skirting boards and windows with a quick sponge over and dry micro cloth after your first flattening.
:hola:

Ref ceiling Pete's way is all fine and dandy if doing small domestic ceilings....

However on bigger works your better typewriter style so that your constantly laying into the wettest plaster and like wise for troweling up.

Can't lay a 40/50/60+ ceiling going around edges first then filling middle...

Also its relative if it takes multiple mixes if its a rolling gauge!

No disrespect Pete BTW bud!

Best tip I got was off render systems and that was scratch my scratch coat on rendering with a float pushing the screws out more :)

Ref ceiling Pete's way is all fine and dandy if doing small domestic ceilings....

However on bigger works your better typewriter style so that your constantly laying into the wettest plaster and like wise for troweling up.

Can't lay a 40/50/60+ ceiling going around edges first then filling middle...

Also its relative if it takes multiple mixes if its a rolling gauge!

No disrespect Pete BTW bud!
It was only regular domestic ceilings...anything 40+ I would have another chap with me...did a 25sqm easy enough that way but much bigger and I wouldnt want to tackle it alone for now

Also typwriter method was the word I was looking for in my opening post:)

Good little tip when skimming come in off ceiling/ internals/skirtings slightly on first stroke then go up to on flatten stroke so not to ski ramp or loose detail on cove or skirtings etc

In every room there's always walls areas that will get more critical light ie where day light runs across or walls with uplights/ down lights etc always try and catch them when the lights on them and spent that little more time on them.

Always give walls a good hard dry trowel when walls turning...

Learn how to 1 coat plasterboard trust me it can be done and can earn you a lot of money and save a lot of time and get extra sets in.

Always allow an extra day when saying to customers how long a job will take to give you a bit of breathing space.

Don't book jobs in front specific start date advise a w/c with a view to firming up few days before thus allowing time if hit any problems on jobs before or squeeze in a screamer that you'd otherwise loose.

Only skim dry PVA,

Bead up in between trowels,

Scrim as you go along boarding and stick couple of staples in if going to be a while before skimming.

Always allow for waste materials and round up when pricing...

Price in fuel...

Price in upkeep of tools and maintenance of vans...

Always start early...

Small quick gauged 3/4 easier than 2 big and produce more...

Never rush out of a job without being your own biggest critic...

No your limits...

And the biggest and most important learn how to blend flawlessly then there's never a ceiling or wall that you cant take on...

Stairs pull all top area off baton then pick rest up as a blend instead of up and down ladders...

Only pay yourself a minum wage and bank the rest to cover slow times...

Wear gloves my hands are fooked!!!

Could go on for ever but hey ho...

The plaster gos on the ceiling /wall not on me

Under promise and over deliver (domestics)

Learn how to do a rolling gauge properly.

On ceilings in old houses always work ACROSS the joists. That way no matter how much they run out, your work will always be smooth and LOOK flat. (makes your life soo much easier)

Always have a good come back for some sarcastic b*****d who thinks their telling you something you've never heard before don't just punch them in the face i.e your supposed to get in on the walls not on the floor

Good little tip when skimming come in off ceiling/ internals/skirtings slightly on first stroke then go up to on flatten stroke so not to ski ramp or loose detail on cove or skirtings etc

In every room there's always walls areas that will get more critical light ie where day light runs across or walls with uplights/ down lights etc always try and catch them when the lights on them and spent that little more time on them.

Always give walls a good hard dry trowel when walls turning...

Learn how to 1 coat plasterboard trust me it can be done and can earn you a lot of money and save a lot of time and get extra sets in.

Always allow an extra day when saying to customers how long a job will take to give you a bit of breathing space.

Don't book jobs in front specific start date advise a w/c with a view to firming up few days before thus allowing time if hit any problems on jobs before or squeeze in a screamer that you'd otherwise loose.

Only skim dry PVA,

Bead up in between trowels,

Scrim as you go along boarding and stick couple of staples in if going to be a while before skimming.

Always allow for waste materials and round up when pricing...

Price in fuel...

Price in upkeep of tools and maintenance of vans...

Always start early...

Small quick gauged 3/4 easier than 2 big and produce more...

Never rush out of a job without being your own biggest critic...

No your limits...

And the biggest and most important learn how to blend flawlessly then there's never a ceiling or wall that you cant take on...

Stairs pull all top area off baton then pick rest up as a blend instead of up and down ladders...

Only pay yourself a minum wage and bank the rest to cover slow times...

Wear gloves my hands are fooked!!!

Could go on for ever but hey ho...
I havnt got patience for 3 gages zombie let alone 4!! I dnt think 1 coating is quicker than 2 aswell u mite save 10 mins if that zombie