Whats it like Plastering onsite?

tomtom89

I've just finished my level 2 plastering and done a few jobs for family and friends and was thinking about getting my CSCS card and finding some temporary work onsite. Just wondering whats it like on site? what sort of speed is expected? just starting Im not going to be as quick as someone who's been in the trade for years. Whats are the general hours, rate of pay etc Any information/ advice you have is greatly welcomed. Tom

I've just finished my level 2 plastering and done a few jobs for family and friends and was thinking about getting my CSCS card and finding some temporary work onsite. Just wondering whats it like on site? what sort of speed is expected? just starting Im not going to be as quick as someone who's been in the trade for years. Whats are the general hours, rate of pay etc Any information/ advice you have is greatly welcomed. Tom
Rates aren't discussed but the site guys will be along to advice mate, enjoy

If your new to the trade doubt your gonna earn much on site, though could be a hood place to practice and get quick. Been plastering domestics for 12 years and doubt I could keep up with some of these lot.

The rates are what you make of them @tomtom89 if you turn up at 7 & leave at 1 you'll be able to make £100+ a day once you gain some speed, if your there til 3 ish £150+ if your there past 4 you've done something wrong.

Life on sites is harder graft but easier on the mind. Turn up and the materials are there, nobody bothers you through the day and you leave when you want.

On the negative side its physically harder, colder and your ultimately just a number. You can build yourself a good rep with certain firms but when push comes to shove its not your own workload or reputation unlike domestic plastering.

Domestics is where all clients know more than you. The headers look at a job and think it'll only take a few hours or a day. I think they think we're like robots on speed. If you sit down for a break, you get the look as if your pickpocketing them. c**ts are never happy and as soon as you leave and next trades man in, they talk balls about you because they know everything!

Site work, buy few bags of speed or cokacoka to keep up with them nut jobs. Some sites, if your angle is out 1mm, pack up and go home because you'll never hear the end of it.

First day off site in 18 days ....my body feels broke.
Got a few kitchen walls to float n skim today....it feels like a day off !!
Back onsite tomorrow.

Bearbeef is right after 4 your useless or a greedy cuunt !!
I think mines is greed !!
Taking a good month off over christmas to hibernate.

The rates are what you make of them @tomtom89 if you turn up at 7 & leave at 1 you'll be able to make £100+ a day once you gain some speed, if your there til 3 ish £150+ if your there past 4 you've done something wrong.

Life on sites is harder graft but easier on the mind. Turn up and the materials are there, nobody bothers you through the day and you leave when you want.

On the negative side its physically harder, colder and your ultimately just a number. You can build yourself a good rep with certain firms but when push comes to shove its not your own workload or reputation unlike domestic plastering.

Thank you for replying, Im planning on starting a business in the new year mainly domestic but depends on where the work is. currently working evenings as a Dominos delivery driver and some temp job openings on site are offering double my hourly rate so its quite attractive coming up to Christmas. Do you need any of your own equipment other than float and hawk? are you responsible for mixing up?

cheers

You need everything tom. Generator, tools, buckets, transport. My advice is save up a while longer and buy yourself a decent generator and mixing paddle. Without them two your stuffed and its no fun when a cheap one packs up after a 40 min drive to site in january

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need everything tom. Generator, tools, buckets, transport. My advice is save up a while longer and buy yourself a decent generator and mixing paddle. Without them two your stuffed and its no fun when a cheap one packs up after a 40 min drive to site in january

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

really, i just assumed there would be equipment already there. Might be worth looking for a plastering company who has a contract for site work and seeing if i can temp work for them. I have the basics, a alright paddle mixer, good enough for domestic work but dont know if it would hold out on a site and like you said wouldn't wanna travel distance for something to fail in the end. At the moment im working out the back of my fiesta which isnt ideal ha

If your new to it all mate get yourself in with a gang or a experienced spread

I'm all for people wanting to do it themselfs but trust me mate you will find it better being on with someone for a few years to gain knowledge and confidence in yourself.

I've been spreading for nearly 10 years now (since 16) only the past 3/4 years I've started doing my own work.

Dont throw all your eggs in one basket.

Site we were on last year,had us skimming kitchen first, then in the afternoon painter came in gave it a mist coat,following morning kitchen fitters came in to fit kitchen, that went on for 32 houses. Three of us were skimming two 4 bed houses a week..( No Pressure)

Site we were on last year,had us skimming kitchen first, then in the afternoon painter came in gave it a mist coat,following morning kitchen fitters came in to fit kitchen, that went on for 32 houses. Three of us were skimming two 4 bed houses a week..( No Pressure)

That's why I'd buy new build every time

I got in with someone when I finished my level 2 if I had gone on site on my own then I'd not have earnt any money. If you can find someone willing to take you on and show you how site work is done you will earn good money once your quick enough but it's not just about how much you can put on it's how to organise yourself that's important. I've been onsite 2 and half years and have build up all the tools and equipment I need to work on my own if I need to. It takes time but if your willing to graft you'll get there if you down the site route

I got in with someone when I finished my level 2 if I had gone on site on my own then I'd not have earnt any money. If you can find someone willing to take you on and show you how site work is done you will earn good money once your quick enough but it's not just about how much you can put on it's how to organise yourself that's important. I've been onsite 2 and half years and have build up all the tools and equipment I need to work on my own if I need to. It takes time but if your willing to graft you'll get there if you down the site route
Good advice mate it is down to working smart not throwing tons on

I wouldnt dare go on site, scared the real spreads would laugh at me:aburrido:

U got in with a hungry b*****d. He eats skim b4 he goes to work

Op, , TBH you wouldn't get on site on your own if your just starting out. The foremen will have you chased before your 2nd mix is set. Also, on site, there's a deadline to get finished, if your to slow, you slow down the production of what it is and you'd get chased.

Cheers everyone for the insight. I will have a look around and see if there is any one local who works on site who could maybe take me on and get me some onsite experience. In the mean time I have some work from word of mouth to keep me busy. Do the bes I can and hopefully will lead to more business.

And it's so damned boring...
If you're on a block...all the rooms the same like the last one I was on. It was mind numbing for weeks.

Saw two other gangs get booted off...absolutely disgusting work. There's some real shite out there working alongside some great lads.

Don't forget too that on most sites you'll just be a skimmer. No boarding now the trades been fragmented.

And it's so damned boring...
If you're on a block...all the rooms the same like the last one I was on. It was mind numbing for weeks.

Saw two other gangs get booted off...absolutely disgusting work. There's some real shite out there working alongside some great lads.

Don't forget too that on most sites you'll just be a skimmer. No boarding now the trades been fragmented.

All of its shhit render float board dab...its all shhit.....ive no idea how lads have a passion for plastering .
I used too about 10 years ago now its just a pay day.
You tube videos get a fuucking life.
My god i need a day off.

All of its shhit render float board dab...its all shhit.....ive no idea how lads have a passion for plastering .
I used too about 10 years ago now its just a pay day.
You tube videos get a fuucking life.
My god i need a day off.
Mate I'll pop up and work with you for a few day's,cheer you up... And could do youtube too,lol