whats best

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnh

hi,just been offered a biggish job puuting cornice up.been a solid spread for 25 yrs and last time i did it was at college.anyway whats the best stuff to put it up with? client paying so doesnt have to be cheap?read about fibrefix on here.does it go off quick like casting plaster?

nice one gibbo.have you much experience at fiiting cornice? do you make a mitre box or cut it freehand

silly question coming. how do i makke the mitre box.the cornice projects across the ceiling more than down the wall. how do i get the angle right to make the box.sorry lads i more used to pushing gear up the wall

get two peices of ply wood about 2ft long, make sure there wider than the depth and projection of the coving.
screw them together at 90degrees using some 3x2 on the back of one peice. You will get a an L shape with the 3x2 at the back.
now, mark along the bottom peice, how far out the ceiling it projects and stick a batten there. the cornice will now sit in the block the same way and at the right projection every time. using a set square you can cut the 45. Block can also be resized for other coving.

mitreblock.jpg

bad drawing but explains it

cheers mike.looks like all questions may have been in vain anyway.got on site today and they had someone pricing it,when they said i could do it on a day rate.dont ya just love some customers

Hi John is it coving or cornice, I have been a fibrous plasterer for 32 years I live in kent and willing to give you any free advice if you need it, just let me know

Status
Not open for further replies.