What's best; Vandex, Dryzone, or something else?

RETEP

We had a penetrating damp on a wall. The exterior is fixed. the interior plaster stripped back to brick. When I stripped the wall the whole thing was holding water, but now it seems to have dried off. We Just want to seal it up incase the problem on the outside comes back and starts allowing water in again. We are a ground floor flat and only have control over our floor. Also, it's a period 1880 property in Brighton and it built out of an awful material called Bungeroosh. The bit we are talking about is brick though.

I have been recommended Vandex to just slap on the brick work then get it plastered as normal. Someone else recommended a product called dryzone, someone else said lime plaster. So now I'm a bit lost. What would you guys recommend?

Sorry if this subject has been covered before. I did do a search but it didn't seem to cover my specific problem.

You've really got to find out the cause of the problem outside, and fix it. Then put on lime mortar. It will always breathe.

Thanks guys. The issue outside is fixed... BUT, I'm not sure it won't come back to some degree. Our neigbours hired a bit of a cowboy to fix it. So it's fine for now, but who knows. How much can lime plaster resist dampness? I figured vandex would displace it elsewhere; Lime will allow it to evaporate. But how much water can Lime take?

You've really got to find out the cause of the problem outside, and fix it. Then put on lime mortar. It will always breathe.
I think Dryzone do a sulphate resisting lime plaster. Which will allow the wall to breath.
Lime plaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if it's lime plastered it will need to be painted with a breathable paint to compliment the system. I personally wouldn't vandex onto brickwork without rendering first. Have done loads of damp proofing around Brighton and treated bungaroosh.

Hello all, new to the forums and I seem to be having these damp issues too in certain areas. I live in an old 1850 cottage in Shropshire and have been researching lime plaster as a solution to the damp along with tanking the wall first. I'm fully confident about carrying this work out myself, consider myself a plasterer at intermediate level, ie. have the skills but not quite the speed But which lime plaster would you recommend and where can I purchase this?

Wayne

Hello all, new to the forums and I seem to be having these damp issues too in certain areas. I live in an old 1850 cottage in Shropshire and have been researching lime plaster as a solution to the damp along with tanking the wall first. I'm fully confident about carrying this work out myself, consider myself a plasterer at intermediate level, ie. have the skills but not quite the speed But which lime plaster would you recommend and where can I purchase this?

Wayne
Google mike wye
Most prebagged mainstream gear will contain cement

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Wayne
I was looking at these guys, they have quite a few other products which might be helpful, too. https://safeguardstore.co.uk/dryzone-renovation-plasters/

im am a qualifed damp and timber surveyor but not an expert in Bungeroosh as its only realy used at the seaside and even then its mostly been bricked over in the past,

i think you need to call safeguard europe or triton chemcials and have a chat to them as i dont feel vandex or a cement based tanking system is the way to go as theres the risk that your hidding the problem rather than dealing with it, a good alternative would be to use a plaster mesh cavity membrane system, these are very easy to use and wont trap the mostyre but will stop it coming through..if not ring round you local pca regsirted damp proofers and ask them for free advice most will give it to you and being local they should know how to deal with it...

I use the wykamol membrane over bungaroosh, have redone plenty of failed vandex jobs. Most of central Brighton is bungaroosh. It's a nightmare substrate to deal with.....

I use the wykamol membrane over bungaroosh, have redone plenty of failed vandex jobs. Most of central Brighton is bungaroosh. It's a nightmare substrate to deal with.....
Most of the house is the bungaroosh you would expect but here it's mostly brick. Perhaps because it's a bay window area.

Interestingly we had a damp proofing guy come round, and he's quoting to use a membrane, too. not sure the brand. is it hard to apply. was thinking of doing it myself.
DSC_0421.JPG

The membrane system itself isn't hard to use as long as you are careful when fixing it and follow manufacturers installation guide. The issue you have using a membarne in this instance is that you can't bring the finished wall out further than the cornice or it will look terrible. You would need at least 30mm for the system to work (using dot and dab). There is another membrane you can use that can be stuck, pinned and solid plastered but you would need to be able to float and set to complete the work. What was the name of the damp company you had quote?

We have similar problems to RETEP with a property of the same age and construction in Brighton. Can anyone recommend a contractor who could investigate and fix this type of issue please?

We have similar problems to RETEP with a property of the same age and construction in Brighton. Can anyone recommend a contractor who could investigate and fix this type of issue please?

Hmmmm not sure who is down that way