what is the trowel called that I want?

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

niceandflat

Hello plasterers

Just joined the forum and I need some advice please. I recently did a 4 day DIY plastering course and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I am doing another two days in November to do a bit rendering and larger areas with another plasterer. The course was more hands on with mainly trowel practice to acheive quite an acceptible finish, but not too much on the theory or tool side due to the time.

I am a sparky by trade and have had my share of house bashing and plastering chases, and quite big patches of walls where blown plaster has fallen off. Anyway I was wondering if anyone could tell me the difference between permashape and broken in? I am after a SS trowel with the ground in edges, but not the curved type as I can't get the feel of them. I keep getting told different things from wholesalers that the curved blades are permashape, or they say they are broken in. I intend to buy one from mail order as they are more competetive than the wholesalers near me. Which by the way quoted me almost £50. nd I don't want to buy the wrong trowel by misunderstanding or being told by a till operator that the trowel I want is called a permashape or preworn then end up with a curved blade.
:RpS_crying:

So any advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers.

my first trowel was a permashape I like it.....

but even pre worn in trowels are not very worn in and they need a lot more work to make them any good for skimming....

B&Q are normally pretty good for MT trowels....

Permashape are the gold ones arent they? Although the old boy I worked with had 1 and within weeks it was nearly bent double.

He uses an old coil shuvvel wi a sweepin brush fo is angles after he's wapped it on wi is converted dyson (re badged as a Ritmo) :RpS_lol:

can thy understand this un Essexandy :flapper:

No problems with the Yorky lingo now, two days up there with lashing of ale and I was well tuned in.

Thanks for the replies lads, what about the narrow trowels for tight spaces, is it wise just to have one an inch wide and one about 3" wide? And what about external coner trowels, are they neccessary, correct me if I'm wrong but surely you can rub up the corners from the corner beads inwards?

I hate pre worns!

Everytime I have a screed or render job I buy a Marshall town to break in the old school way

Status
Not open for further replies.