What finish would you choose for your house

Members online

cooptaza

Building my own home in Ireland. Starting end of January. It is going to be a 2 story detached. I was gonna rub it up smooth render, but thinking of maybe a different finish. Maybe the external insulation stuff.

What would you do to your own home

Building my own home in Ireland. Starting end of January. It is going to be a 2 story detached. I was gonna rub it up smooth render, but thinking of maybe a different finish. Maybe the external insulation stuff.

Clad it.... and thats genuine :D

Funny I will be plastering my self build soon and was thinking of posting the same question. Would like to do a weber mono or something similar just for something different to all the houses in my area (West Galway)
But being close to the sea it would be red in no time and the extra cost
Will probably do a sand cement sponge finish, most houses around here have a nap finish but unless it's a light nap and done well I think it looks horrible, can't stand a heavy nap finish and it's a pain in the hole to paint as well.
Sometimes the planners will specify what type of finish has to be done but I could never see them following up on that

I'm a bit of a sucker for grand designs. All sorts of interesting stuff to cover your house in. Depends on the style of your house as to what will look good.

Funny I will be plastering my self build soon and was thinking of posting the same question. Would like to do a weber mono or something similar just for something different to all the houses in my area (West Galway)
But being close to the sea it would be red in no time and the extra cost
Will probably do a sand cement sponge finish, most houses around here have a nap finish but unless it's a light nap and done well I think it looks horrible, can't stand a heavy nap finish and it's a pain in the hole to paint as well.
Sometimes the planners will specify what type of finish has to be done but I could never see them following up on that

My recent trip to scotland has made me reconsider where it is a good idea to render buildings :D

I was thinking of a smooth render finish and doing it right. Unlike some house I seen, A bad render finish looks terrible. Maybe do something to minimize the cracks around window heads too.

I will definitely be putting insulation & plasterboard (50mm) on all the external walls inside and skimming them .

When the two storey side extension's done my place will be re-rendered. Off with the rough cast from the '30s and on with S&C smooth (sponge rub) finish. I decided on that because anything described as "maintenance free" isn't, and S&C done properly looks clean and smart without looking oddly modern on an old building.

Cladding can look OK on the right building in the right setting, but mostly ends up looking w4nk.

The last thing you want to do to the outside of your house is anything that's "on trend" or "fashionable" unless it's going to be sold as soon as it's done.

Weathered galvanised wrinkly tin laid in a half - bond vertical pattern.......an exiting finish overlooked for far too long in my opinion...........be the first to make a bold design statement .....o_O(y);)...lol

If I was in Ireland and new build to be rendered bearing in mind it always rains in Ireland then a smooth render in a modern ocr render system finished in a self cleaning paint.

Just down the road from us had a house built, ground floor is grey engineering brick, first floor is covered in plastisol coated cold rolled zinc sheets and a mixture of some oak cladding looks wicked

Sand and cement finish is on most houses in theIrish midlands.I honestly prefer wet dash,but don't think it would suit coastal areas.

Natural stone or that cement board that looks like wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sand and cement with sandtex paint I got but do like the mono look on the right house @zombie is right though non would be great lol one of the nicest looking jobs I have seen on here though was @FreeD blue thincoat one he posted a while back forgot what it was but looked cool

My option if I had funds would be a glass house no question especially with the views and at night time the glass turns dark so you can't see in

I think sponged with a bit of cedar cladding on smaller panels . Maybe get a architect to simulate a few pics of different finishes on your own particular house to see what suits

Where abouts on my island are you building! I'll need to pop down for some protection money while it's getting built ;)

As for the finish, fill the cavity and install EWI on exterior. Don't be installing the insulated plasterboard, your house loses heat quicker than if you go with the first method I mentioned. Here in Ireland now thou, it's very expensive to build a house. Some ridiculous building regs out there now. Also some ridiculous county council contributions before one even turns a sod of turf. I've heard of cases where it's 15-30k some are paying. Me, I paid only few hundred back in the boom when building my own. Now, since they recession, everything's changed drastically. Sad even thinking about it tbh because it's stopping me selling up and building again!

Where abouts on my island are you building! I'll need to pop down for some protection money while it's getting built ;)

As for the finish, fill the cavity and install EWI on exterior. Don't be installing the insulated plasterboard, your house loses heat quicker than if you go with the first method I mentioned. Here in Ireland now thou, it's very expensive to build a house. Some ridiculous building regs out there now. Also some ridiculous county council contributions before one even turns a sod of turf. I've heard of cases where it's 15-30k some are paying. Me, I paid only few hundred back in the boom when building my own. Now, since they recession, everything's changed drastically. Sad even thinking about it tbh because it's stopping me selling up and building again!
I remember them days of protection money. Mad days. Insulated plasterboard. are you sure it loses heat quicker.
I can say for sure I will be getting good quality sand. I done a house and the sand wasn't great. Plastering was excellent, then hairline cracks started to appear down the line. Looked terrible. Can skimp on sand

I remember them days of protection money. Mad days. Insulated plasterboard. are you sure it loses heat quicker.
I can say for sure I will be getting good quality sand. I done a house and the sand wasn't great. Plastering was excellent, then hairline cracks started to appear down the line. Looked terrible. Can skimp on sand

Yes, if you had 2 similar size houses, one with filled cavity and EWI and the other with half filled cavity and internal insulated plasterboard and heated with same amount of heat, the latter losses it's heat quicker! The first house is able to obsorbe the heat into the walls and release it back once heating is off. I don't if the savings is like splitting hairs but I've read alot about it and heard few engineers mentioned it. Go with the external and save few quid and do it yourself!

As for the days of protection money, that was to keep them men in the north stacked up with Semtex and armilites lol. Every site years had to pay it. Think it's started up again in few places only now it's the dissidents instead of the IRA.

As for the days of protection money, that was to keep them men in the north stacked up with Semtex and armilites lol. Every site years had to pay it. Think it's started up again in few places only now it's the dissidents instead of the IRA.
Not as bad as paying tax.

Yes, if you had 2 similar size houses, one with filled cavity and EWI and the other with half filled cavity and internal insulated plasterboard and heated with same amount of heat, the latter losses it's heat quicker! The first house is able to obsorbe the heat into the walls and release it back once heating is off. I don't if the savings is like splitting hairs but I've read alot about it and heard few engineers mentioned it. Go with the external and save few quid and do it yourself!
Why would you fill one cavity half full. I would fill the cavity full and use insulation boards inside the house on the external walls. The inside room would lose 50mm cause of the depth of the wall but its not much.
It's 50mm insulation boards with plasterboard stuck to them. I fix them to the external facing walls inside the house.

Render it and when it starts to look shite plant that creeping vine stuff to grow over your house then people think you live in a giant plant and you can pick leaves off and smoke them should you wish :inocente:

Why would you fill one cavity half full. I would fill the cavity full and use insulation boards inside the house on the external walls. The inside room would lose 50mm cause of the depth of the wall but its not much.
It's 50mm insulation boards with plasterboard stuck to them. I fix them to the external facing walls inside the house.

Old regs is 100mm block, 100mm cavity with 50mm insulation and 100mm block. I know the new regs are 200 or 300mm cavity now but think there's still to be a gap. I could be wrong though because haven't worked blocklaying in years.