What advice would you give to an absolute beginner?

Members online

Ull have to survive on £40-50 a day for a gud couple of years if ur wrking with a spread anymore and u wnt be worth it to the spread end of day its got to be viable to the spread aswell that's y young ens will come out on top as u can pay a 17 year old £30 a day and get same amount of work done and u can rib the s**t out of a spring chicken ha..

Ull have to survive on £40-50 a day for a gud couple of years if ur wrking with a spread anymore and u wnt be worth it to the spread end of day its got to be viable to the spread aswell that's y young ens will come out on top as u can pay a 17 year old £30 a day and get same amount of work done and u can rib the s**t out of a spring chicken ha..

To get on life sometimes money has to be put on the backburner.....speculate to accumulate.

That's biggest thing the money issue..how many years can a man with a family or bills and commitments etc survive on low wages..lets be honest the money is s**t for a fair few years then that's not guaranteed after that all depending on the person..then your on knackered shelf wen u actually do become competent and earning if u start late

To be fair Tommys a proper grafter and credit to his family.
His hard work and determination over the last 18 months are paying dividends now, with about 8 pay rises in the last 12 months
I know lads with many years more experience then he has, who will never be in the same league as the one hes heading for.
Having a decent teacher helps aswell(y).
If I'd of had one I may of actually passed physics and ammounted to more then just a plasterer @theplasterman ;).

W
His hard work and determination over the last 18 months are paying dividends now, with about 8 pay rises in the last 12 months
I know lads with many years more experience then he has, who will never be in the same league as the one hes heading for.
If I'd of had one I may of actually passed physics and ammounted to more then just a plasterer @theplasterman ;).
Who's tommy Scottie lol??

W
Who's tommy Scottie lol??

hes The lad mentioned in this thread who was in a very similar position to the op of this thread , who i took on 18 months ago and who's getting a pay cut tomorrow cause after seeing the wage figures in your post it seems I'm paying him about 3 times what I could get away with.

hes The lad mentioned in this thread who was in a very similar position to the op of this thread , who i took on 18 months ago and who's getting a pay cut tomorrow cause after seeing the wage figures in your post it seems I'm paying him about 3 times what I could get away with.
Tell tony I'm sorry wen u cut his wage

Brilliant that one.:risas:

Just text me dad and told him

He said he only got himself to blame.:hola:

nooooooooooo :llorando:

thanks scottie5 :inocente::inocente:

On site is the best training n yes are there are plenty of plasterers out there but if you have the commitment n dedication to be the best you'll never be out of work! I went for it 15yrs ago never looked back!..(I was 32) You'll end up with a few aches n pains along the way but the money good, for good work that is n "job satisfaction " when you do some really nice work makes you smile to yourself!!!

How much? For how long training? It's a scandal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How much? For how long training? It's a scandal.

Its just business....businesses all want to make a healthy margin, after staff employment, materials, rent, upkeep, public liability, all the fees to stay registered with the governing bodies, the entry fees for the nvq's its probably less profit than you think. You even get free tea and coffee:)

Its just business....businesses all want to make a healthy margin, after staff employment, materials, rent, upkeep, public liability, all the fees to stay registered with the governing bodies, the entry fees for the nvq's its probably less profit than you think. You even get free tea and coffee:)

I'm not talking about their profit, I'm talking about how you could put the money to better use subsidising your low pay, on-site, with a proper plasterer, it would last a lot longer than the three weeks you are at goldtrowel or however long it is.

I'm not talking about their profit, I'm talking about how you could put the money to better use subsidising your low pay, on-site, with a proper plasterer, it would last a lot longer than the three weeks you are at goldtrowel or however long it is.
When you are 30 there is no low pay on site or otherwise, if you got no training at all theres no one who would give you a job....as a career changer there was no other option available to me....i tried to ring a few local companies and they couldnt wait to get off the phone. Places like goldtrowel give people like me a chance to change their careers...i know most think they are a blood sucking monster but they gave me a route into the trade when no other routes were open to me.

Fair play if that's what you think, but are you sure you only got a job because you had been on the goldtrowel course?
I'd say you're the exception rather than the rule.
Personally (and I don't think I'm by any means on my own) it would put me off taking someone on that had been on one, rather just someone to show how keen they are in a few days work.

what i liked about goldtrowel is they started courses at weekend for people who aint able to do it in the week and also andy was a decent fella whatever course you want to do you got to pay

Very good advice if not a little of putting for you, it is hard to get going in this industry, your age is against you, courses are a rip off, try local plastering companies but don't leave your job just yet.

Fair play if that's what you think, but are you sure you only got a job because you had been on the goldtrowel course?
I'd say you're the exception rather than the rule.
Personally (and I don't think I'm by any means on my own) it would put me off taking someone on that had been on one, rather just someone to show how keen they are in a few days work.

I didnt get a job, im working for myself on domestics