Weighing up a screw gun

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing my Dewalt 12v XR2 screwgun. There nothing wrong with it, I just think life would be easier with a collated one.

I don't do "real" site work any more, only builder extension/lofts & domestic stuff. So It wouldn't be used loads.

Here are my choices & why I have made them. Could you give me your professional input of the good ones.

Good ones....
1) Spit 218. (Paslode) This is very light & small, £360 but not Made in Germany.

2) Bosch GAR18VEC-N. Very light £490. Not sure if Bosch have gone a bit DIY though.

3) Fein ASTC 18m. £450. Heavier than the above but German made.

Others I'm NOT considering…
1) Hilti. I know they are good but too dear for what I need.

2) Festool 18- 4500 Li. This looks like it could break easily to me.

3) Makita 18v. reports of jamming a lot & my batteries keep dying on me.

I would go for the Fein but I'm heading toward the Spit at the minute as its so light & £100 cheaper.

What do you think?

Have seen the FESTOOL and it is a good product. They are known in Germany for their quality. Otherwise I would look at Fein. They had one on display at a recent show we exhibited at. Had a good go with it and it performed very well.

I have got the spit on haven't used any other cordless ones to compare it to its very light never jams up but feels a bit gutless I normally use my ryobi corded one much easier on the arms.

The Spit gun is too long. The Fein is utter crap. If you don't do that much boarding, want a Hilti but don't want to pay the earth, get the 110v SD 5000 and collated attachment.

Actually it's the SD2500 110v gun and SMD57 collated attachment. About £300 plus vat.

Hammer and a bag of tacking nails, worked for the past 700 years :RpS_thumbup:

Mate ive worked with some spreads the last couple of years that couldn't nail a full board if there lives depended on it lol. When i started we were still using nails. I got pretty quick but nowhere near the Old boss
Bang bang bang! 3 hits. Nail sat perfectly. No misses and not a blemish on the board.

I wasn't that arsed about getting one till ive been using me marra's Hilti this week and its fewkin mustard, canny pricey like but its defo changed my view about them.

whats the comparison in price between the screws and loose ones ?

Mate ive worked with some spreads the last couple of years that couldn't nail a full board if there lives depended on it lol. When i started we were still using nails. I got pretty quick but nowhere near the Old boss
Bang bang bang! 3 hits. Nail sat perfectly. No misses and not a blemish on the board.

If im putting up 8x4's on me own now ( very rarely, messes me hair up) I always put a few nails in 1st. :RpS_scared:

I wasn't that arsed about getting one till ive been using me marra's Hilti this week and its fewkin mustard, canny pricey like but its defo changed my view about them.

whats the comparison in price between the screws and loose ones ?

I can get a box of collated 35s for £6 on average. The added speed of fixing will more than compensate for the extra cost of screws

I have makita corded old now but still going strong,used the battery senco and makita both ok with the correct screws, absolute pain that they are all minutely different and dont work in certain guns.:RpS_mad:

I'm replacing my Dewalt 12v XR2 screwgun. There nothing wrong with it, I just think life would be easier with a collated one.

I don't do "real" site work any more, only builder extension/lofts & domestic stuff. So It wouldn't be used loads.

Here are my choices & why I have made them. Could you give me your professional input of the good ones.

Good ones....
1) Spit 218. (Paslode) This is very light & small, £360 but not Made in Germany.

2) Bosch GAR18VEC-N. Very light £490. Not sure if Bosch have gone a bit DIY though.

3) Fein ASTC 18m. £450. Heavier than the above but German made.

Others I'm NOT considering…
1) Hilti. I know they are good but too dear for what I need.

2) Festool 18- 4500 Li. This looks like it could break easily to me.

3) Makita 18v. reports of jamming a lot & my batteries keep dying on me.

I would go for the Fein but I'm heading toward the Spit at the minute as its so light & £100 cheaper.

What do you think?

That makes no sense whatsoever IMO.
Looking at the prices of the ones you're asking about and looking at the price of a Hilti about which you say 'I know they are good', it's a no brainer.

Boarding on your own with nails and no props was a skill on itself lol. I don't miss over boarding with nails though. Felt like you were driving in a fence post.

Boarding on your own with nails and no props was a skill on itself lol. I don't miss over boarding with nails though. Felt like you were driving in a fence post.

Me and my mate did 50 odd council houses in Broxbourne in 1990. The tracker there was an old Paddy. Overpacked ceilings in 2 houses each day on his own, no deadman. If you walked into the room and spoke to him he'd turn round,with the board on his head and chat for minutes without bothering to put a nail in . Different generation :RpS_scared:

Being a shortarse I very rarely could Hold a board up with my head. When I first started my boss was the cutter his brother and the other chap would tack and id be the f**k*r holding 8x4s up on my own all day. Would absolutely fly through it though. 3bed house all ceilings and entire upstairs boarded by 10 o clock tea break.

Status
Not open for further replies.