wat van to go for

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you want to do with it, what stuff do you regularly carry, i normally always get a van which will hold a 8x4 sheet,2.5 engine size is what i like,

av got an old astra just now now that am getting steady work im wanting new one as I can afoared car and van

i just got a swb silver transit on a 08 plate and i think its a good van plus u can get 8x4 in the back:RpS_thumbup:

If you get a 2ltr diesel VW transporter the road tax is 120ish a year nearly half that of a transit 2.5 but they are more expensive to buy. The vw will get over 30mpg the transits i believe about 30 ish certain year groups on the transit have dodgy diesel pumps after 50k miles and will cost approx 1.5k to replace depending on where you are in the country. Nissan,Renault and Vauxhall vans are virtually all the same as they are built in the same factory. Have a look on the which van site to do your research.

I have 05 vw transporter t30 130 my dad has a 99 hiace 2great vans,hav a soft spot for hiace!!! Wil never let U down

Got a Swb merc vito , 30 mpg around town, 8x4 go in easy, 5 years free servicing,had it 1 year now no complaints in fact quite nippy

If you buy anything with a ford badge over 4years old have a proper good look underneath esp the sills as have a tendency to rust badly, iv had transits for last 15years but have now bought a new vivaro being a vauxall itll proberly break down a lot! but at least it will look nice on the back of the rac low loader.

If you get a 2ltr diesel VW transporter the road tax is 120ish a year nearly half that of a transit 2.5 but they are more expensive to buy. The vw will get over 30mpg the transits i believe about 30 ish certain year groups on the transit have dodgy diesel pumps after 50k miles and will cost approx 1.5k to replace depending on where you are in the country. Nissan,Renault and Vauxhall vans are virtually all the same as they are built in the same factory. Have a look on the which van site to do your research.

My Transporter does 38-40mpg. 2010 2.0ltr 102PS

you right about the fords mate F.ix O.r R.epair D.aily
I have a nissan primastar lwb same van as yours they all made by renult so being french the most likly problems you will get will be electrics. saying that everything has its niggles these are good vans and very popular so easy to get parts if you need them, good on fuel big enough to carry all your stuff drives like a car. also in a transit you don't look like a plasterer you look like you there to tarmac the drive cut some trees down do the facias and guttering and sell some lucky charms
If you buy anything with a ford badge over 4years old have a proper good look underneath esp the sills as have a tendency to rust badly, iv had transits for last 15years but have now bought a new vivaro being a vauxall itll proberly break down a lot! but at least it will look nice on the back of the rac low loader.

I know what you mean mate, my old mans just bought some ugly looking thing from Fiat or Fix It Again Tony as its going to be known. He he

I know what you mean mate, my old mans just bought some ugly looking thing from Fiat or Fix It Again Tony as its going to be known. He he

Ceartainly will be fixing it again tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. There's a reason you dont see many old fiats about

I've got an Iveco Daily swb. Drives like a lorry, feels like a lorry, pulls like a lorry and loads up like a lorry, but its a van!

why dont volvo make vans? they build some of the best lorrys and plant you can get, the cars are solid so surly they could build a van that would be top quality

Why does any plasterer need a van that will fit an 8x4 sheet of plasterboard in the back? I have the small ford transit connect, all I have in my van is my tools, plastering and joinery tools as I also build stud walls and fit doors, skirting board and architrave.
I also carry a few bags of multi finish and a tub of PVA for those just in case jobs that might get sprung on me. I can also carry 8ft lengths of 4x2 on the roof rack if I need to.
when I need plasterboard on a job, I just find a builders merchant near where I will be working and have the boards and plaster delivered.

I have never lost out on a job because I told a client that they would need to have the boards delivered to the house instead of me bringing them in my van.
not to mention that a smaller van is going to be better on fuel. because my van is only small, I drive around in it quite a lot and not just to work. it's easy to park and it's easy to drive, this doesn't mean that I can't drive or park a big van. I did have a bigger transit for quite a while, but after a while and the fact that getting materials delivered is easy, I decided to get a smaller van.

There is also the point that I keep my van very clean, I also keep my car clean. but the main reason I keep my van clean is because I think it gives a better impression when you arrive at a site or at the home of a client and your van is nice and clean inside and out. if you go to the trouble of keeping your van clean, it shows a certain level of care and attention to detail. it also shows that if you are willing to keep your van clean, you are more likely to leave your work area clean when you have finished.

I remember working for several building companies between leaving school 12 years ago and now, it was a very rare occasion when any of the vans would be cleaned.
ok so in the building trade time is money, you either spend time working and earning money or you clean your van. you could clean it after work but a lot of people can't be arsed doing that. which is not a very good attitude to have when you consider the kind of work you do.
my van is cleaned inside and out every weekend without fail. because I clean it every weekend, it doesn't take very long to get my van clean again if it is dirty in the first place.

as for which van, find the van you want and get it as cheap as possible, if you buy new or used.
also don't forget to keep your van clean, take care of your van and it will take care of you.

Why does any plasterer need a van that will fit an 8x4 sheet of plasterboard in the back? I have the small ford transit connect, all I have in my van is my tools, plastering and joinery tools as I also build stud walls and fit doors, skirting board and architrave.
I also carry a few bags of multi finish and a tub of PVA for those just in case jobs that might get sprung on me. I can also carry 8ft lengths of 4x2 on the roof rack if I need to.
when I need plasterboard on a job, I just find a builders merchant near where I will be working and have the boards and plaster delivered.

I have never lost out on a job because I told a client that they would need to have the boards delivered to the house instead of me bringing them in my van.
not to mention that a smaller van is going to be better on fuel. because my van is only small, I drive around in it quite a lot and not just to work. it's easy to park and it's easy to drive, this doesn't mean that I can't drive or park a big van. I did have a bigger transit for quite a while, but after a while and the fact that getting materials delivered is easy, I decided to get a smaller van.

There is also the point that I keep my van very clean, I also keep my car clean. but the main reason I keep my van clean is because I think it gives a better impression when you arrive at a site or at the home of a client and your van is nice and clean inside and out. if you go to the trouble of keeping your van clean, it shows a certain level of care and attention to detail. it also shows that if you are willing to keep your van clean, you are more likely to leave your work area clean when you have finished.

I remember working for several building companies between leaving school 12 years ago and now, it was a very rare occasion when any of the vans would be cleaned.
ok so in the building trade time is money, you either spend time working and earning money or you clean your van. you could clean it after work but a lot of people can't be arsed doing that. which is not a very good attitude to have when you consider the kind of work you do.
my van is cleaned inside and out every weekend without fail. because I clean it every weekend, it doesn't take very long to get my van clean again if it is dirty in the first place.

as for which van, find the van you want and get it as cheap as possible, if you buy new or used.
also don't forget to keep your van clean, take care of your van and it will take care of you.

what does having a clean van inside or not, make any difference to anything, who gives a monkies, utter tosh.

Do you ever have any hassle with deliverys?I.e late delivery,damages, some gear missing etc?

whats the connnect like im in too minds between that and the combo, i would love a caddy but there blaady expensive

C.u.n.t

There **** get a hiace

dnt need the size mate if i had a big van all id do is carry more shite that i dnt need, the firm i work for now only supplies the little domestic jobs but most of our work is bigger so the materials are either deliverd before we start or supplied for us

If you do get the hiace make sure you keep it very clean. Remember, clean van = clean mind = clean workspace and we all know how important that is don't we boys...

Marshall, I bet if you were to wear a frock with a floral pattern, it would be as clean a a whistle, you're my kind of man. Wanna be pen pals?

dnt need the size mate if i had a big van all id do is carry more shite that i dnt need, the firm i work for now only supplies the little domestic jobs but most of our work is bigger so the materials are either deliverd before we start or supplied for us
What do you do with straight edges dabbing edges etc

Status
Not open for further replies.