wat van to go for

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
we pick up our own materials because we make money out of it, and with have got what we need when we need it.

they all fit in the the back of the truck anything longer than 6ft on the roof rack, so im guessing it will be even easier in a small van. well i know it is the fella i work for has a caddy and has all his kit in the back no problem.
managed to make my truck a few inches shorter today:RpS_crying:

Why does any plasterer need a van that will fit an 8x4 sheet of plasterboard in the back? I have the small ford transit connect, all I have in my van is my tools, plastering and joinery tools as I also build stud walls and fit doors, skirting board and architrave.
I also carry a few bags of multi finish and a tub of PVA for those just in case jobs that might get sprung on me. I can also carry 8ft lengths of 4x2 on the roof rack if I need to.
when I need plasterboard on a job, I just find a builders merchant near where I will be working and have the boards and plaster delivered.

I have never lost out on a job because I told a client that they would need to have the boards delivered to the house instead of me bringing them in my van.
not to mention that a smaller van is going to be better on fuel. because my van is only small, I drive around in it quite a lot and not just to work. it's easy to park and it's easy to drive, this doesn't mean that I can't drive or park a big van. I did have a bigger transit for quite a while, but after a while and the fact that getting materials delivered is easy, I decided to get a smaller van.

There is also the point that I keep my van very clean, I also keep my car clean. but the main reason I keep my van clean is because I think it gives a better impression when you arrive at a site or at the home of a client and your van is nice and clean inside and out. if you go to the trouble of keeping your van clean, it shows a certain level of care and attention to detail. it also shows that if you are willing to keep your van clean, you are more likely to leave your work area clean when you have finished.

I remember working for several building companies between leaving school 12 years ago and now, it was a very rare occasion when any of the vans would be cleaned.
ok so in the building trade time is money, you either spend time working and earning money or you clean your van. you could clean it after work but a lot of people can't be arsed doing that. which is not a very good attitude to have when you consider the kind of work you do.
my van is cleaned inside and out every weekend without fail. because I clean it every weekend, it doesn't take very long to get my van clean again if it is dirty in the first place.

as for which van, find the van you want and get it as cheap as possible, if you buy new or used.
also don't forget to keep your van clean, take care of your van and it will take care of you.

**** me m8 thats a bit long winded. So if u need one 8x4 u get it delivered?

I have a rack inside my van where I store beads in, could not have that in a small van!

Get a car. Something like a Vauxhall Carlton or a Ford Scorpio. Make sure it has the initials PL before the registration number. Always make sure the car is full of swarthy looking men in high vis jackets and a Tesco bag with their beetroot sandwiches in. You'll get loads of work.

Oh, and make sure you speak like Borat!

As for keeping your van clean, I used to clean mine every week eithout fail, it didn't get me any more work. The people I work for know I can do my job properly. When I used to turn up in my gleaming Sportline, everyone on site thought I was a c.u.n.t.

I now treat my van like this.
Herbie mucky seat 02.jpg
Full of sand, dog hair, mud, and little black bags of dog crap.

Last edited:
Get a car. Something like a Vauxhall Carlton or a Ford Scorpio. Make sure it has the initials PL before the registration number. Always make sure the car is full of swarthy looking men in high vis jackets and a Tesco bag with their beetroot sandwiches in. You'll get loads of work.

As for keeping your van clean, I used to clean mine every week eithout fail, it didn't get me any more work. The people I work for know I can do my job properly. When I used to turn up in my gleaming Sportline, everyone on site thought I was a c.u.n.t.

View attachment 2027

Herbie rides again! :RpS_laugh:

thats what vans are for mate:RpS_thumbsup: i gave mine a really good clean got it sparkling about 7 or 8 weeks ago so that i made a good impression when i turned up to new job, it just got called a pimp wagon and props made everyone suspicious of my ability just as if i had turned up with a bag full of all shiney new tools

View attachment 2027

Why am I being called a c.u.n.t just because I keep my van clean? of course it has nothing to do with how well I can plaster or do other work. but if you see a man with a clean van, I think it shows he cares a bit more than a man with a dirty van. not just where plastering is concerned, but how clean that person will be and whether or not they will leave your house clean after a job.
I don't just mean that once upon a time I saw a tradesman with a dirty van who didn't clean up after himself.
but if for example you do see a man with a dirty van, it doesn't give a very good impression does it? is he really going to keep his work area clean and tidy, and clean up after himself after he has finished when he can't even be bothered to clean his own van?

I can recomend the ford transit connect, I down sized from a transt and can still carry almost the same load if you fit a decent roof rack, I've had it 2 years now and have carried (at different times) 60 lenths of metal stud or mf ceiling sections. 20 lenths of timber studs, 10 sheets of 8x4 pb, all on the rack. Inside comfortably holds 10 bags of stuff as well as plenty plastering/carpentry tools.

Why am I being called a c.u.n.t just because I keep my van clean? of course it has nothing to do with how well I can plaster or do other work. but if you see a man with a clean van, I think it shows he cares a bit more than a man with a dirty van. not just where plastering is concerned, but how clean that person will be and whether or not they will leave your house clean after a job.
I don't just mean that once upon a time I saw a tradesman with a dirty van who didn't clean up after himself.
but if for example you do see a man with a dirty van, it doesn't give a very good impression does it? is he really going to keep his work area clean and tidy, and clean up after himself after he has finished when he can't even be bothered to clean his own van?

LMAO are you still blathering on about how clean your van is.

If I were to see you and your immaculate van, I'd think that you had OCD or not much work on. Either way I'd avoid you like the plague, unless of course you were wearing a little eye catching floral number.

bet they look good with your burgundy skinny chinos and your cardigan with your short back n sides with side parting with a pinch of quiff....

the skinny jeans are maroon not burgundy.............:rolleyes) your so yesterday John.................:RpS_cool:

LMAO are you still blathering on about how clean your van is.

If I were to see you and your immaculate van, I'd think that you had OCD or not much work on. Either way I'd avoid you like the plague, unless of course you were wearing a little eye catching floral number.

You seem quite obsessed, some may say OCD when it comes to a nice floral number. I'm not quite sure what to say about a man obsessed with ladies clothes. but if you ask me, it's not in the same league as a man who keeps his van clean.
how clean my van is has nothing to do with my work, I just like to keep my van clean. I haven't got OCD but I am a clean person.
but the fact that I am being called names because I keep my van clean just proves that there a lot of people out there that couldn't give a toss about things that they have spent money on.
cleaning a car or van takes no time at all, if you can't be bothered to do it then that's up to you.

You seem quite obsessed, some may say OCD when it comes to a nice floral number. I'm not quite sure what to say about a man obsessed with ladies clothes. but if you ask me, it's not in the same league as a man who keeps his van clean.
how clean my van is has nothing to do with my work, I just like to keep my van clean. I haven't got OCD but I am a clean person.
but the fact that I am being called names because I keep my van clean just proves that there a lot of people out there that couldn't give a toss about things that they have spent money on.
cleaning a car or van takes no time at all, if you can't be bothered to do it then that's up to you.

its just a bit of banter marra............:RpS_wink: anyway, take no notice of the nasty man.................:RpS_biggrin:

Would you at least consider wearing a blouse? You'd feel liberated I'm sure.:RpS_wink:

I'm not saying keeping your tools and van clean will get you more work.
all my plastering tools and my van have had a lot of use in the last 5 years, but because I look after my things they all still look new.
I still don't know what to make of men obsessed with women's clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.