Using Speedskim SF blade

Members online

philip mellor

Hi lads,new to forum,bit of advice on using Speedskim SF...I’m layin on 1st coat with trowel,flattening off with 1200 st,2nd coating then fattening off with 600 sf but getting tiger stripes in places!!! Today I Tried 1st & 2nd wet with 600 st plastic blade then finishing with sf spat & no stripes!! Is that the right method? I spread a 3m x 3m room,boarded & used board finish.ive always used multi to increase the area I can manage. Your advice is much appreciated chaps

You clever lad!
You answered all your own questions!
Your mum knew you were a genius........
You’re going to go far.

Seriously though.....yes.

I’m workin local tmorra so don’t recon I’ll go that far!!!! Seriously,really wanted to get it working right cos it takes all the graft out of it & seampt like I’d tried it all ways with the sf blade,never thought to get the plastic brother out of the van!!! I’m 3 back operations & a rotator op into my shortening career & im trying owt to lengthen my lifespan....I’m 45 & look like Gollum!!! Cheers dropsalot!!

Reactions: Gjh
Hi lads,new to forum,bit of advice on using Speedskim SF...I’m layin on 1st coat with trowel,flattening off with 1200 st,2nd coating then fattening off with 600 sf but getting tiger stripes in places!!! Today I Tried 1st & 2nd wet with 600 st plastic blade then finishing with sf spat & no stripes!! Is that the right method? I spread a 3m x 3m room,boarded & used board finish.ive always used multi to increase the area I can manage. Your advice is much appreciated chaps

It is easy to over complicate your technique with lots of different tools, I agree the Speedskim do help but I met a 75 year old plasterer that got me in to do ceilings whilst he did Walls. I was amazed , he had an 11" old mt and his technique looked effortless, finish was flawless.

I am going to show my ignorance here even though we have both but which is the metal and which plastic
Plastic is St blue blade and sf is metal flex 0.3 mm mate there is a black plastic finish blade too think they are due out soon tbh the black plastic is nice for last flick over , a lot can be achieved with just the blue st tbh

Plastic is St blue blade and sf is metal flex 0.3 mm mate there is a black plastic finish blade too think they are due out soon tbh the black plastic is nice for last flick over , a lot can be achieved with just the blue st tbh
We use the plastic for flattening but it gaps like a good un are these black ones going to be as soft?

Gets nicks in the blade like you do in a trowel
True like little scratch lines do you mean , tbh I ignore them and flick round with a metal at the end if they are there to just give finish you want , my blue blade was looking at today tbh and it’s very worn in compared to a new one I have on 900 , me personally I prefer um really worn , might help too

True like little scratch lines do you mean , tbh I ignore them and flick round with a metal at the end if they are there to just give finish you want , my blue blade was looking at today tbh and it’s very worn in compared to a new one I have on 900 , me personally I prefer um really worn , might help too
I ignore them too had it about eighteen months now so it is broken in nearly back out again to be honest but I find them really good, I am not so enamoured with the metal one I prefer a trowel but my son loves the metal one

What no trowelling at all?
If I can I will just tidy edges Andy with trowel when needed but mainly try to use speedy as much as possible mate , won’t lie mate I’ve had some s**t jobs and use my mt all way through but if possible will try just speedy.

These youngsters don’t seem to use trowels much from what I can see unless they are as flimsy as a piece of paper, I much prefer a trowel after flattening in gets right in to leave crisp clean angles
Fair play mate I’m same some times , at least use it as much as possible that’s a help in itself I think , each to there own

Speedskim on pole,can’t beat it for ceilings,stilts are gathering dust in back of van!!!was looking at refina plaziflex 32” plastic spat,any of u lads use em? Bit pricey with pole & attachment (£80)!!

Gorrit!!!!done a room this mornin...2 wipes with plastic,1 with metal,flat as,no stripes & don’t feel like I’ve grafted!!!full of energy,lads at work.....wife can get ready tonight!! Thanks lads,who’d ave thought joining a plastering forum would improve your s*x life!!!

Gorrit!!!!done a room this mornin...2 wipes with plastic,1 with metal,flat as,no stripes & don’t feel like I’ve grafted!!!full of energy,lads at work.....wife can get ready tonight!! Thanks lads,who’d ave thought joining a plastering forum would improve your s*x life!!!
@Danny I want my money back as it's done nothing for mine!

Hahaha