Unprepeared walls.

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well with stripping of the walls paper from the main stair wall ,removal of a dado, plus knocking out a door frame £185 2 days work..oh yeah and patch some blown plaster and fill behind from ripping out the door frame.

I haven't got a clue to price for this sort of thing, and think i'm way undercutting myself.

Ive told the customer than i will remove the rest of the paper on the stairs and landing, plus fit new skirting and architrave, before any plastering starts...the job is fooking huge.

:rolleyes)

If you are taking out the door lining what is being done with that then?try and rip the top off the wallpaper first,then soak with a sponge and scrape,much quicker than steaming.do the repair work first then plaster then once dry fit the woodwork.you seem a bit under gunned in the knowledge department.

Well with stripping of the walls paper from the main stair wall ,removal of a dado, plus knocking out a door frame £185 2 days work..oh yeah and patch some blown plaster and fill behind from ripping out the door frame.

I haven't got a clue to price for this sort of thing, and think i'm way undercutting myself.

Ive told the customer than i will remove the rest of the paper on the stairs and landing, plus fit new skirting and architrave, before any plastering starts...the job is fooking huge.
Idiot.

You're charging £185 for 2 days work and youre going to fit new skirts and arcs before you plaster?

Sorry no my heads in the shed.

Ive told the customer to continue with prep work before any plastering starts.They dont know if they want new skirt and architrave so they can decide on that at a later time...there is so much to do before plastering starts.I have an electrician coming in to sort some lights and sockets out.

twas what I was thinkin? Why fit skirts etc before plaster?

Been misunderstood mate thats not going to happen.

Working for under a ton a day .........with 15 years experience lol

My 15 years were spent mostly with another plasterer...i'm only know breaking out on my own, and its been a tough start.I'm feeling my way with it.

As you know plastering is the easy part...its the other stuff im trying to get to grips with.

If you are taking out the door lining what is being done with that then?try and rip the top off the wallpaper first,then soak with a sponge and scrape,much quicker than steaming.do the repair work first then plaster then once dry fit the woodwork.you seem a bit under gunned in the knowledge department.

No door linings being taken out.

Its an old house walls are helluva mess .

Opinions Vary.

Oh yeah....**** you.

185 for 2 days work no good mate talk about driving prices down.

If they want you to prep say yes drop 200 quid on and then drop a 40 a day slave there with a steamer cmon this is simple.

I went to prep and PVA a ceiling this morning ready for skimming on friday as i was doing another job a few doors down the street. and the woodchip was still on the ceiling. The customer had pulled some paper off where a massive crack was and left the rest. After politely explaining that i told her she could leave the paper on if she wanted it overboarding but it needed to come off if she just wanted it skimming.

She told me a never explained that and i asked her to read the estimate i had sent her at which she had agreed with when asked me to do the job. If i had turned up on friday with the paper on i would have got back in the van and went home....................some people..........:RpS_thumbup:

i always tell the customer not to bother to remove paper from ceiling as i am going to overboard it. saves a lot of problems, ie cracks ,limewash, plus you earn a little more and give a better job.

i always tell the customer not to bother to remove paper from ceiling as i am going to overboard it. saves a lot of problems, ie cracks ,limewash, plus you earn a little more and give a better job.

it all comes down to money, I try to convince them its a pain in the arse to remove woodchip so leave it up and ill overboard, but then im having to replace the coving as well and the cost just spirals.....but you know how it is anyway malc

185 for 2 days work no good mate talk about driving prices down.

If they want you to prep say yes drop 200 quid on and then drop a 40 a day slave there with a steamer cmon this is simple.

Ok thanks mate.

These people have been stung by a builder on another job, and i want to help them out along the way as well as fairly earn.

Its not all about the coin as i see it.

I think the answers change with every question jcr , never adopt this policy if you get arrested, stick to the story...

you never answered my question you said this job was huuge but it doesnt sound like alot of work at all

it all comes down to money, I try to convince them its a pain in the arse to remove woodchip so leave it up and ill overboard, but then im having to replace the coving as well and the cost just spirals.....but you know how it is anyway malc

most of my jobs are not down to money. you have to sell yourself, once i am in the door the job is mine

you never answered my question you said this job was huuge but it doesnt sound like alot of work at all

I don't see where you asked me a question, and thought you were taking the mickey.I'm getting a lot of people here who seem to put themselves down as top spreads and money earners...hey top man.

Its the whole house + builder hacked off outside walls and left because he couldn't handle it.Its an old house,quite a daunting job, but i'm up for it.

All i wanted was advice from people who i respect in the trade and all im getting is some interrogation b*ll***s...cmon lads.

Don't take it personally jcr ,but you say these people are friends of yours but do not understand English very well, have been ripped of by a builder before, a builder before you ran away as he was over awed, then you take it on but are not a builder either, am I right in this summation or not. If not I apologise

the answer to your question im sure has been mentioned just charge what you charge for a day anyway, whats the point in doin something thats not your job for less money when you could be down the road doing some proper work for a full days money.....simples

Priced A big dining room up the other day, customer wanted me to price for removing wallpaper and make good of walls! I just explained that his guess is as good as mine as to the condition of wall condition!! So just priced removing wallpaper on day rate, then once removed advise and quote for making good/re skimming!!

again something that was mentiond earlier in the post (not a dig at your spreading pink but jcr is saying we havent helpd him and what i and you have just said IS the solution and HAS already been mentioned)

Priced A big dining room up the other day, customer wanted me to price for removing wallpaper and make good of walls! I just explained that his guess is as good as mine as to the condition of wall condition!! So just priced removing wallpaper on day rate, then once removed advise and quote for making good/re skimming!!

Don't take it personally jcr ,but you say these people are friends of yours but do not understand English very well, have been ripped of by a builder before, a builder before you ran away as he was over awed, then you take it on but are not a builder either, am I right in this summation or not. If not I apologise

No i never said they were friends of mine.The language barrier was more to do with them not understanding what had to be done.

No i'm not a builder, but most people can install some skirting etc...i dont mind do other jobs if needed.

the answer to your question im sure has been mentioned just charge what you charge for a day anyway, whats the point in doin something thats not your job for less money when you could be down the road doing some proper work for a full days money.....simples

Yeah fully agree...thanks.

Right thanks.

again something that was mentiond earlier in the post (not a dig at your spreading pink but jcr is saying we havent helpd him and what i and you have just said IS the solution and HAS already been mentioned)

Right and ive taken it fully on board.

Thanks.

Best of luck jcr, I can see you are a trier and I hope you earn a decent crust for your efforts, don't be put off by the questioning on here, feel free to ask anything anytime, pm if its easier,

Best of luck jcr, I can see you are a trier and I hope you earn a decent crust for your efforts, don't be put off by the questioning on here, feel free to ask anything anytime, pm if its easier,

I'm still learning mate, and dont have all the answers.

Yeah ill most prob pm, and ive seen how plasterers get treated on youtube to see the culture of hate that goes around.

Cheers all the same.

Yeah ill most prob pm, and ive seen how plasterers get treated on youtube to see the culture of hate that goes around.

Cheers all the same.
It's the same for everyone, we are all learning,best to question something than remain ignorant, even with 25 plus years experience I find that I learn everyday something new,not a bad lot on here once you get settled in. I used to be on a bouncers forum and the hatred and vile was much worse there but I persevered and the site closed down as they were not able to argue and win the argument, you are entitled to your view same as anyone here and I respect that..

Cheers all the same.

somehow these 2 phrases dont fit in with the "ive been doing it 15 years"

somehow these 2 phrases dont fit in with the "ive been doing it 15 years"

Well cmon then mate lets hear what your thinking.

15 years aint a lot of time...ffs i got a 17 yr old lad, and i dont know where the years have gone.

Whats with all the conspiracy stuff ???.

Just been to price a job, but the owners want me to remove all the wall paper.Its the first time ive been on a job where i have to price for removal of the paper.Would like to hear anyone who as done this.

I dont know how to properly price for this kind of thing so any advice appreciated.

them, look all im saying is for 15 years in the game you should know more that this, ive not slated ya at all, but prep work and prices is stuff you should know after "15" years.

oh and you have a 17 year old doesnt really mean alot johniosaif has a 16month old doesnt mean he knows fack all about plastering (he doesnt but thats besides the point
:RpS_biggrin:)

QUOTE=Fatarm;643628]erm ??? How to price the job ??:rolleyes)[/QUOTE]

Just advice on stripping wall paper....not plastering.

Just been to price a job, but the owners want me to remove all the wall paper.Its the first time ive been on a job where i have to price for removal of the paper.Would like to hear anyone who as done this.

I dont know how to properly price for this kind of thing so any advice appreciated.

them, look all im saying is for 15 years in the game you should know more that this, ive not slated ya at all, but prep work and prices is stuff you should know after "15" years.

oh and you have a 17 year old doesnt really mean alot johniosaif has a 16month old doesnt mean he knows fack all about plastering (he doesnt but thats besides the point
:RpS_biggrin:)

I worked with a plasterer for 13 odd years.I started out laboring with him and moved onto the trowel.I took to it ,and continued on the trowel full time.We took on an apprentice and went from there.I spent 6 months in a plastering college, because my mate wanted to learn more fibrous work.

I never priced jobs at all when i was with him.I would arrive at a job ready to go, and in all that time never stripped paper...maybe he had another laborer strip it before hand or like 99% of customers they do it themselves, just because of the costs.

I'm happy with my prices for plastering, but have never priced for a full house for removal of wallpaper.I would never have thought of charging a day rate, thinking it be to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.