Unifinish anybody using

Status
Not open for further replies.

hstoke

Got a skimming job starting Monday reasonable ceiling and various doorways to other rooms for the walls for a few days should I use unifinish instead of splashing pva around I know of the cost difference but ...,is anybody using uni at the mo ??

Noooooooooooooooooo, just use pva, on Mat painted walls it goes off as soon as you put it on

not me mate. seen it in b and q at about eight a bag but the three pound a bag extra swings it for me. if it was the same price as multi id give it a go. otherwise ill stick to the ten minutes rolling the pva on. doesnt make sense to me. the figures dont add up.

I have used it a few times and had mixed results... some really good but some that just made it hard work....

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
have in B and Q here but its £11
Plus you know fine well if the walls hot then its not going to work
roller on PVA or grit

Got a skimming job starting Monday reasonable ceiling and various doorways to other rooms for the walls for a few days should I use unifinish instead of splashing pva around I know of the cost difference but ...,is anybody using uni at the mo ??
I use it most days ...alot of people are scared of new products and change .if u going to use it get it on lay in straight away and u will be fine

I be working at a bungalow the walls r good just been stripped of paper as i remember they r arnt painted case of suck it and see

Over painted walls it was great but anything that has some suction I got done up like a kipper...

I use it most days ...alot of people are scared of new products and change .if u going to use it get it on lay in straight away and u will be fine
You think it's bad now you should read back in 2006 when the forum started... change was not even an option and most would not even give anything a chance...

Now the modern plasterers are willing to give stuff ago but new materials take time for confidence to gained in a material :)

You think it's bad now you should read back in 2006 when the forum started... change was not even an option and most would not even give anything a chance...

Now the modern plasterers are willing to give stuff ago but new materials take time for confidence to gained in a material :)

They've even got beads that go around arches now Danny , scary stuff ;)

Good point ...ten years ago who would of thought they be using plastic trowels and flexi finishing trowels...spraying walls inside and out etc..I include myself in not embracing change..I only just got on the monocouche and ewi side of work and wish I had done years ago.one good thing about this forum is it does make people aware and hopefully embrace d changes/options

Rubbish I have used it, on an artex ceiling it hung about a bit too long and on a Matt wall went off as soon as you put it on hence why I could and will not recommend it, especially as it is aimed at the domestic market so there is no one making good behind you it has to be cock on for the the client to paint.

Rubbish I have used it, on an artex ceiling it hung about a bit too long and on a Matt wall went off as soon as you put it on hence why I could and will not recommend it, especially as it is aimed at the domestic market so there is no one making good behind you it has to be cock on for the the client to paint.
WP_20150820_12_12_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20150820_14_12_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20150820_12_12_32_Pro.jpg

But look it makes life no easier, you are not able to put as much on as when you pva and use multi from my experience with it, apart from artex ceilings and it hangs around forever.

I'll not be using it again that's for sure nor would I recommend it

I agree with @gps to a point... PVA takes no time at all... maybe if you have little wall to do and you just want to get in and get out then it would be fine but I dont see the benefits of it on a big project...

Its all about choices though and BG want to give us plenty of options which is good :)

just been to b and q and it is £11.28 a bag. was looking at the wrong price. so i deffo wont be using it. pay more twice the price of multi or board for the privilege of not using pva. i dont think so. just greed. like with the magnetic

just been to b and q and it is £11.28 a bag. was looking at the wrong price. so i deffo wont be using it. pay more twice the price of multi or board for the privilege of not using pva. i dont think so. just greed. like with the magnetic
In the trade point flyer its near the £10 mark and they r doing silkabond contractors pva at £14.40 for 10 litres which ain't bad

In the trade point flyer its near the £10 mark and they r doing silkabond contractors pva at £14.40 for 10 litres which ain't bad

yeah. i got a few of the silkabond a few weeks back. like you say not a bad price. gonna clean the tubs out and use them as jerry cans in case theres some kind of economic and social collapse. havent seen the unibond offer but it would still be twice the price of board which i generally use. i cant really comment on whether its any good or not but i just think its poor marketing. like the magnetic.

Avoid unifinish, stick to the pva. Don't know why we need these new products, the old ways are the best. If it ain't broke, don't fix it in my opinion.

I don't think BG give a s**t about giving plasterers choices and options. It's all about the money, they've tried to solve a problem that doesn't really exist and cash in and it's backfired big time.

I don't think BG give a s**t about giving plasterers choices and options. It's all about the money, they've tried to solve a problem that doesn't really exist and cash in and it's backfired big time.
I think they do care to ve honest if they piss people off that does not make good business sense

They've got the market sewn up, Danny. Their customer relations aren't a big priority IMO.
Oh yeah they have market share for sure but I think they do care and those that have been to bg HQ will also have seen that...

It's just a product that never got off to the best start and the merchants are pricing it a bit beyond what the average plasterer is willing to spend...

for someone that has waisted years of my life pva ing walls and waiting for them to go dry so that the plaster doesn't smudge like foook like all this supposedly plaster whilst pva is tacky malarkey say.

Theres defo a market for the product and I also don't mind paying a bit for it though....

IT JUST NEEDS TO WORK WITH NO COME BACKS!!!! rant over!!!

When i used it i noticed small white bits in the powder and also still there when mixed, i assumed this was part of the ingredients which makes it stick.
Used a pallet of board finish last week which also contained these small white soft product!

image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.