Underground Room

Members online

Has anybody built one?

We have just made an offer on a property and all is looking well. It has a huge garden but the property itself needs bulldozing.

We are going to most likely be getting a static caravan dropped on the site to live in. However the first job is to build my home office so that the build/renovation I can still do what i do in quiet while the kids destroy the caravan.

We have talked about building a underground room and then build a shed/cabin on top of it for quite a while now and looking at my local planning portal it still comes under permitted development. With a cabin on top it may end up being used as a a place for guests to stay instead of teh main house so they can sleep while the kids be kids.

I know building underground and close(ish) to the sea sets some challenges but houses have had basements for years and with the amount of technology about there hopefully is some solutions.

from my research, sump pumps and air circulation is important and obviously stopping damp walls.

Has anybody built something similar (@imago probably has) I am expecting it be quite costly but I think in teh long term it will be ok.

My mate built a 3 storey house from scratch with bottom floor underground and the basement cost the same as the 2 floors above. Basement was half the build cost.

there is alot that goes in it.

huge land removal.
reinforcement
tanking.
insurances.

maybe look at the icf option if its not under the house

Yeah I have looked at the ICF stuff... a local builder is building a whole house out of it.

does it stop the damp coming through?

It wont be under my house it will be in the garden :D

My mate built a 3 storey house from scratch with bottom floor underground and the basement cost the same as the 2 floors above. Basement was half the build cost.

yeah Grand designs goes on about how much it costs to get anything out of the ground :D

Yeah I have looked at the ICF stuff... a local builder is building a whole house out of it.

does it stop the damp coming through?

It wont be under my house it will be in the garden :D
ill text you anthony quinns num.

hes the distributer for nudura in storrington.
theyve just done one in hampshire.. and use them for swimmingpool construction aswell

ill text you anthony quinns num.

hes the distributer for nudura in storrington.
theyve just done one in hampshire.. and use them for swimmingpool construction aswell

So as a system they will do everything I would need?

Perfect :D I think I may just call to go see it being used :D

I did work in a bunker once it was unreal feeling being underground
With all this cov and the new world order underground is the way to go mate

sounds good idea underground room in the garden if you go ahead with it post pics up of the full process will be interesting to see it fully done

Did one last year here.s roof

Attachments

• 15988904639289052072920943856663.jpg
    15988904639289052072920943856663.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 233
sounds good idea underground room in the garden if you go ahead with it post pics up of the full process will be interesting to see it fully done

That is the only way I know.

Should know bu the end of the week if this purchase is going through.

As ever nothing set in stone

yeah Grand designs goes on about how much it costs to get anything out of the ground :D
A mate I play golf with was on grand designs he built a house rite on the cliffs of saunton north devon and cost him 2-3mill to get it out the ground, wrecked his life lost all his money and his wife left him lol

A mate I play golf with was on grand designs he built a house rite on the cliffs of saunton north devon and cost him 2-3mill to get it out the ground, wrecked his life lost all his money and his wife left him lol
I see that....the bloke who produced the euphoria albums? His budget was unrealistic in the 1st place.

I see that....the bloke who produced the euphoria albums? His budget was unrealistic in the 1st place.
That’s him, maze as a brush. u would never think he was a million air but a really nice guy. He’s actually got investors in to finish it off now, plus house prices have increased by 12 % down here cause of corona so he should be quids in again

I know that property :D didnt he have to sell half of it or something?

That’s him, maze as a brush. u would never think he was a million air but a really nice guy. He’s actually got investors in to finish it off now, plus house prices have increased by 12 % down here cause of corona so he should be quids in again
It’s an amazing drum...have you worked on it? Good job for the portfolio.

do as the drug dealers do.
bury a lorry container, cut a hole in the roof and put you cabin on top. you then need a trap door in the cabin to access the container. simple!
That was done on a farm just down the road from me.

Has anybody built one?

We have just made an offer on a property and all is looking well. It has a huge garden but the property itself needs bulldozing.

We are going to most likely be getting a static caravan dropped on the site to live in. However the first job is to build my home office so that the build/renovation I can still do what i do in quiet while the kids destroy the caravan.

We have talked about building a underground room and then build a shed/cabin on top of it for quite a while now and looking at my local planning portal it still comes under permitted development. With a cabin on top it may end up being used as a a place for guests to stay instead of teh main house so they can sleep while the kids be kids.

I know building underground and close(ish) to the sea sets some challenges but houses have had basements for years and with the amount of technology about there hopefully is some solutions.

from my research, sump pumps and air circulation is important and obviously stopping damp walls.

Has anybody built something similar (@imago probably has) I am expecting it be quite costly but I think in teh long term it will be ok.
In a couple of weeks we're going back to do some repair work in a basement we worked on about eight years ago. Both the main and backup pumps failed and it flooded during a downpour.
If you've got the space just build bigger above ground. Way cheaper and way less hassle.

you lie.

In a couple of weeks we're going back to do some repair work in a basement we worked on about eight years ago. Both the main and backup pumps failed and it flooded during a downpour.
If you've got the space just build bigger above ground. Way cheaper and way less hassle.

Yeah the more I look and the more I see how much soil needs to come out and teh concrete to go in I am thinking it might be a headache...

However, I really like the idea of ICF... (@Dansouthcoast84) I may just build the 2 garden buildings with that system as it looks perfect and soundproof for me is quite important