Trying get into plastering trade at 31 :)

Members online

dansaxo123

Hope there’s people out there than can give me some advise. Currently booked ok a 10 day plastering course ( stoke on Trent ) I know there’s people who disagree with these courses but given my age I thought I’d go on a course to learn the basics. I’ve had a go on some walls of mine at home and I’m satisfied with the finish etc but I know it’ll take years to be of a top plasterer. I’m not one of them people that will advertise as soon as I’ve done their course , I was thinking of getting some small jobs start with like a kitchen or bathroom etc. Another idea I had was try to find a plasterer local which will let me do a Saturday for them free of charge so I could watch and learn kind of thing. I work full time in a concrete factory so got the basic knowledge of using a trowel etc just wondering if plastering was a good career get into. Appreciate any advise given thanks you. Dan

Ashley-Gilbert corsa boy.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmm

Attachments

• 2E17D102-AB4D-4F2C-B5D5-82D70B62ACCC.jpeg
    2E17D102-AB4D-4F2C-B5D5-82D70B62ACCC.jpeg
    20 KB · Views: 142
Get one of them flexy trowels and off you go (y) don’t bother with the coarse you’ll be fine in this game nowadays! I think plastering for dummies is still available on hardback;)

Welcome to forum

This is a common question on here ....
Do a search if you haven't already..

Hope there’s people out there than can give me some advise. Currently booked ok a 10 day plastering course ( stoke on Trent ) I know there’s people who disagree with these courses but given my age I thought I’d go on a course to learn the basics. I’ve had a go on some walls of mine at home and I’m satisfied with the finish etc but I know it’ll take years to be of a top plasterer. I’m not one of them people that will advertise as soon as I’ve done their course , I was thinking of getting some small jobs start with like a kitchen or bathroom etc. Another idea I had was try to find a plasterer local which will let me do a Saturday for them free of charge so I could watch and learn kind of thing. I work full time in a concrete factory so got the basic knowledge of using a trowel etc just wondering if plastering was a good career get into. Appreciate any advise given thanks you. Dan

Best thing to do is clean up really good and cross trowel the middle of the wall - that way the customer will say ooh nice and tidy, then they'll touch the wall and say ooh nice and smooth and you'll be long gone with their cash before they notice the corners and come on here crying about it.
Change your number and repeat.

Works for me.

I've got two labourers they've been with me for 3 years there still miles of they could be skimmers but not plasterers

I understand it takes years... I’ve seen people’s plastered walls and there shocking ... even the house I live in to the point where it’s had to have lining paper throughout. I wouldn’t able sleep at night if I did a shite job and charged people.

People are soon to judge .... people don’t get given a chance these days. Anything’s achievable if you want it enough
1.its nothing personal dansaxo,
2.i am certainly not judging you,
3.at least you are trying to fetch an income in for you and your family,
4.i did a 3 year apprenticeship,and all i did for first few weeks,....wash buckets out,flatten angle beads,sweep up,help labourer etc,
5.just sit down and think and look at it from other plasterers point of view,
6.i did 3 years,...yet there will be spreads on here did 4/5 years.

Worst thing you could do is start in kitchens and bathrooms. Majority use kitchen or bathroom paint which is shiney and will show up every mark you leave, of which there will be many

I understand it takes years... I’ve seen people’s plastered walls and there shocking ... even the house I live in to the point where it’s had to have lining paper throughout. I wouldn’t able sleep at night if I did a shite job and charged people.

10 days won't give you what you need.

If you're not doing it as an apprentice then you've got to be in the right place at the right time and have a bit of a stroke of luck.

Mine came for me working for a plasterer turned housebuilder. He did his own skimming but he was old and needed me to labour on him.

Thing is, he hated me standing watching him so he made me go and buy a trowel.

He probably spent more time flattening my 16 year olds shite efforts than he saved by making me work but it kept him happy and I learned something.

Took a lot longer than ten days to learn enough to stop him hounding me though.

Cheers guys like I said I appreciate all your advise :) I was just going to do the 10 day’s get some basic knowledge:) just hoping I can get on with a plasterer but it’s whether or not there willing give me that chance

1.its nothing personal dansaxo,
2.i am certainly not judging you,
3.at least you are trying to fetch an income in for you and your family,
4.i did a 3 year apprenticeship,and all i did for first few weeks,....wash buckets out,flatten angle beads,sweep up,help labourer etc,
5.just sit down and think and look at it from other plasterers point of view,
6.i did 3 years,...yet there will be spreads on here did 4/5 years.
Cheers mate as I said I’ve got a long way to go just hoping someone will give me a shot

You’ll not make a “plasterer” as defined by the old school.
however you can easily learn to bond out, dry line and skim which is 90% all you’ll need on domestics anyway. It depends how fast you are at learning iv had lads with me who’ve been skimming up to an acceptable standard within 4 weeks and others who still can’t do it after 4 years.
End of the day it’s a hand skill, nothing really technical about it. Get in with a local guy as you’ve suggested and see how you get on.
you will probably decide it’s too hard on the body anyway

Where do you live?

I did a 5 year apprentiship a long time ago working with 2 old school spreads I spent the first year just labouring,knocking up bags of Browning in a mixing bath,mixing skim up with that bodger or whatever the f**k it's called,carrying plasterboards,washing buckets cleaning the crap off coving brushing the internals cleaning the skirtings with a sponge everything but plaster,it was only after a year the spreads thought f**k me he's still here with us, we better teach him abit,and now you can get cracking after just 10 days of basic training u can see why some spreads gets annoyed by it

I did a 5 year apprentiship a long time ago working with 2 old school spreads I spent the first year just labouring,knocking up bags of Browning in a mixing bath,mixing skim up with that bodger or whatever the f**k it's called,carrying plasterboards,washing buckets cleaning the crap off coving brushing the internals cleaning the skirtings with a sponge everything but plaster,it was only after a year the spreads thought f**k me he's still here with us, we better teach him abit,and now you can get cracking after just 10 days of basic training u can see why some spreads gets annoyed by it
You must have been s**t. I was trowelling on my first day. After a year I could do everything except for rendering on my own. I bet your skinny