Trowel handle

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanD

Rendering outside and my trowel was lent up against my bucket whilst i was rullling off, look back and the daft roofer has instead of reversing out, 3 point turned and ran over my trowel! 5 years iv had that bad boy so as you can imagine i wasnt best pleased!
The blade seems to be undamaged but ill find out when i skim, but if you can imagine he knocked the trowel flat on its face then ran over it so the handle is bent downwards (cant get finger between gap of handle and blade) Is there any way to replace the handle and save it ?
Safe to say i wont be leaving tools on the floor now either!

The handles are changeable but if its bent its shagged. You can only change the grip as far as I know.

So it looks like this then? :RpS_unsure:

photo_zps8de4db90.jpg

Cut the old handle off then get yourself a lend of two stilson.

1. Grip the handle tang tight right at the front of the tang with one pair of stilsons.
2.Put a piece of copper pipe over the rear of the tang to protect the threads.
3. Put the other stilson tight onto the threaded end and then proceed to bend back into shape.

Of course you will need to have half descent upper body strength but with a bit effort and time you can get it back to usable.

Oh and remember you want descent sized stilsons cos the longer the handle the better the leverage = easier to bend

In always sceptical taking handles of trowels. Crossthreaded one once and ended up in the bin

In always sceptical taking handles of trowels. Crossthreaded one once and ended up in the bin

had to rescue my trowel a few years ago tried to take the handel off and the nut snapped off with the threaded bit still inside it:RpS_crying: had to drill into what was left and put a self tapper and washer on the end to hold the handel on

Status
Not open for further replies.