Travelling to work is work

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep I am doing an article on this at the moment for plasterers News... this is a real game changer for a lot of firms that take on people...

My mate is a gas fitter and he is driving to and from wales on monday to do 2 jobs.... there is 12 hours of driving at least before he even picks up any tools

As a trade you're daft if u don't price travel into a job or at least take it into account. The same as parking etc. So it should be priced in for guys that work for you.
At the same time you could also say if u don't want to travel and not get paid get a more local job. It can be seen from both ways depending if you're the employer or employee

It's a difficult one this. What about the hours stuck in traffic? Times that sat navs give you are always wrong nowadays because there will always be traffic jams. Paying someone to sit in traffic can't be priced into a job surely.

It will mean all vans will need trackers so allow employers to tally up time spend driving.

This would b*ll***s me up using my van to pop to Tescos or what ever on the way home.

Just get pissed am sure you can't get done for drunk flying?? BA pilots are pissed all the time it's autopilot all the way with those maggots

we have worked for a firm that paid our time to get to the job. they just put into their gps that the work was 30 mins. away . there was 15 mins wasted with roadworks!

I think it's just for existing companies and employees. New ones can opt out. But the ruling is retrospective on existing. Don't quote me on that but I think that's what the expert said on the radio

Easier when working for yourself in Domestics and small privates , you price all that into the job.
In my case i dont leave to around 9:10 , where i live it is a waste of time leaving any earlier unless you leave at 7:00.
Plus i mostly do domestics and not gonna be there when kids are having breakfast and everyone getting ready.
Over the years ive timed it and i lose around 15 minutes leaving at 9:10 over 8. Works for me but i price it into jobs same for everything , the time and costs involved pricing the job , the same for getting materials , prep and clean up etc etc.

Most builders dont care about anything bar you lashing stuff on the walls , i had one arsehole who tried docking me an hour each morning from 7 to 8 am because we werent working and waiting on the crane driver to put the tubs over.

When I was cards in we all had trackers ,I used to set out early to get to jobs sometimes 50 miles away ,like to hit the ground running ,one lad went to the yard at 3 minutes to 8 ,back at yard at 4.15 every day ,and he was traveling then in busier traffic ,we got paid the same ,who was the daft one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.