top coat wont go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have no experience with mineral. Anyone got any links or pics? Also does anyone know where to get the accelerator for top coat?

Baumit and Parex do an additive but there is a lot of ammonia in them so be careful mixing and disposal of materials,they would have to write it into their spec which would then allow you to use it,they can also change the colour of the texture so if your doing a a street of houses you would need to put the additve in all the buckets for those houses to keep them all the same colour,its the high humidity that slows down the drying process mixed with lower temps.

Baumit and Parex do an additive but there is a lot of ammonia in them so be careful mixing and disposal of materials,they would have to write it into their spec which would then allow you to use it,they can also change the colour of the texture so if your doing a a street of houses you would need to put the additve in all the buckets for those houses to keep them all the same colour,its the high humidity that slows down the drying process mixed with lower temps.

I dont think any of the major companies here allow accelerators anymore.

on a full EIFS system no problem.....but we do alot of acrylic finishes on sand and cement render here, reason they disallow it was the ammonia ate the galvanized plaster stops beads.....they then rust out and the lawsuits start flying.....be careful using the accelerators if your working on an exterior sand and cement basecoat beaded job.

The trouble with topcoat in this temp is it will hang wet for days I wont put it on unless I got 3/4 days fine weather

I dont think any of the major companies here allow accelerators anymore.

on a full EIFS system no problem.....but we do alot of acrylic finishes on sand and cement render here, reason they disallow it was the ammonia ate the galvanized plaster stops beads.....they then rust out and the lawsuits start flying.....be careful using the accelerators if your working on an exterior sand and cement basecoat beaded job.

Probably best to use plastic beads. They are fast becoming normal practice just need all merchants to stock them.

doing a krend thin coat at the moment, asked about an accelerator and they told me they dont make one, i went down the tarpaulin and space heater route,

I have used the accelerators and so far they have worked. The mineral sounds interesting as it sets in hours but colours are limited. The manufacturers spec paint finish on mineral so another return visit after waiting again for drying time.

I have only used it once as a trial but it was on Weber ocr with a couple of coats of sbr done a couple of hours before.

Definately got to kill all suction as the slightest bit of suction and it just doesn't rub up. But for for the colder months it seems the answer.

Like said, Wetherby makes them sound like it is new? This stuff is similar to Webers Alpine and that was around in the 80's.

I have used the accelerators and so far they have worked. The mineral sounds interesting as it sets in hours but colours are limited. The manufacturers spec paint finish on mineral so another return visit after waiting again for drying time.

I have only used it once as a trial but it was on Weber ocr with a couple of coats of sbr done a couple of hours before.

Definately got to kill all suction as the slightest bit of suction and it just doesn't rub up. But for for the colder months it seems the answer.

Like said, Wetherby makes them sound like it is new? This stuff is similar to Webers Alpine and that was around in the 80's.

Return visit is a pain but the mineral system should be about £2 a m2 less than the normal system so it balances out.

Also with the Mapei system you can paint the mineral T/C after 2 days

Return visit is a pain but the mineral system should be about £2 a m2 less than the normal system so it balances out.

Also with the Mapei system you can paint the mineral T/C after 2 days

Mineral used to be much cheaper than bucket coat. A 25 kg bag was buttons from relius and went further.

Any tell us what a bag of noblo is going for currently ?
@richarbrown

Last edited by a moderator:
Rich is using the Mapei now.

A 25kg bag of 1.5mm will go 10m2 it's roughly £16.85 per bag + VAT

I have a breakdown of the 2 system costs in the office so will try and post it tomorrow

Priming for the mineral top coat is a must because the base coat will suck the life out of it!
i disagree i rarely use primer during the winter and never had the life of it sucked out on me. i recall a few winters back wetherby actually got called to site about wash offs after days of being finishesd and reccomended not using primer.
just a question @RJDEAN are you adding any water to your texture?
another point made earlier is to use a winter additive i recently used sps envirowall winter additive without primer and after roughly an hour or two of being finished it was almost weather proof. word of warning it stinks like a dirty drain and isnt cheap but if you can put up with smell and cost i suppose it saves the embarresment of re-doing your work at your own cost.
hope this helps

hi ive had same issue with topcoat not going off so could try not priming so it will pick up quicker
@fred20
yeh mate try it on a small panel just to see how it goes, only add a small amount of water to the texture so so it wont pull your arms off when your spreading, its a bit of trial and error really

hi ive had same issue with topcoat not going off so could try not priming so it will pick up quicker

It will only pick up quicker due to suction. A primer helps adhesion and stops the suction. Eliminating the primer could cause the top coat to contract. Not ideal so I would go careful doing this

i disagree i rarely use primer during the winter and never had the life of it sucked out on me. i recall a few winters back wetherby actually got called to site about wash offs after days of being finishesd and reccomended not using primer.
another point made earlier is to use a winter additive i recently used sps envirowall winter additive without primer and after roughly an hour or two of being finished it was almost weather proof. word of warning it stinks like a dirty drain and isnt cheap but if you can put up with smell and cost i suppose it saves the embarresment of re-doing your work at your own cost.
hope this helps

Yes we put about 250ml water in top coat

hope this helps
weatherbys new mineral top coat when i didnt prime behind the soil stack and 2 window reveals it sucked like **** maybe its different from the mineral youre using ,this is winter grade ,dearer than the silocone top coat

Status
Not open for further replies.