top coat wont go off!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJDEAN

Anyone else having issues getting the 1.5mm top coat to go off with the temp and weather?
Had a whole gable run off the wall this week! hate this time of year!
I have got clients with GDHIF vouchers that run out in Feb and cant see how im gonna get them done!
Any tips other than dodge the rain?

I used baumit silikon 1.5mm over there lime render and it went hard within 24 hrs.
Drying times are a lot longer over base coat.

Use silicon base coat only! Acrylic is not the same!
make sure the wall is dry before you start with the top coat. Even if it was fine a few days ago, the night before can be wet. Sometimes in early morning you will see frost on the basecoat. Wait till the time is right ! You will need more than 24h for the top coat to set .

Use silicon base coat only! Acrylic is not the same!
make sure the wall is dry before you start with the top coat. Even if it was fine a few days ago, the night before can be wet. Sometimes in early morning you will see frost on the basecoat. Wait till the time is right ! You will need more than 24h for the top coat to set .

Silicone basecoat?

Is this true?

No not if you use an accelerator from the same manufacturer or a recommended.
Some would have a moan, in fact they would do anything to void a warranty if it was proven to do no harm even.

I avoid acrylic or silicone textures in winter. Weber is very slow say 2weeks or more in damp cold conditions. How can you guarantee it won't rain in that window!!

Not for winter I'm afraid texture.

A render manufacturers accelerator used with there acrylic, will not void a warranty I've never heard so much tosh.

A render manufacturers accelerator used with there acrylic, will not void a warranty I've never heard so much tosh.

didn't mean to dislike.... sorry Owls - I agree, if a manufacturer provides a product they have to warrant it! (if used correctly)

I was told by weber if I used another companies accelerator it would void the warranty. Rubbish I know! Apparently weber have an accelerator they use in Scandinavia but nothing here! Iv worked with silicone top coat through 3 winters but no where near as busy as this winter!

Try to get the approval in writing . I never managed. Always suggested , but never black on white. I am talking strictly on site jobs here.On one job it came ready mixed into the top coat and the primer was very thin too. So I guess at the end of the day is not up to us realy. Private jobs you have the freedom . I personally have never used accelerator . Always managed without it. Maybe I can give it a go this week:RpS_wink:

I was told by weber if I used another companies accelerator it would void the warranty. Rubbish I know! Apparently weber have an accelerator they use in Scandinavia but nothing here! Iv worked with silicone top coat through 3 winters but no where near as busy as this winter!

Weber will tell you anything to void a warranty pretty much take is a given there is no warranty.
There is a warranty if everything is fine. If you need to call upon the warranty for any reason whatsoever then you will see it magic into thin air. So for that reason crack on

If the product in question is weber sil tf then you really could be waiting until April for it to go off

We created a canopy with 1000g polythene,wrapped scaffold top and sides,got a space heater with a thermostat which we put inside the 'tent' and left running over night. We set the thermostat to 12 degrees celsius.Worked a dream as the tent never got too warm or too cold. It took all night and most of the following day to set but well worth the extra few quid for the heater and kerosene.

You're all mad.

Use a mineral system then equalise with silicone, buy yourselves a decent diesel space heater and get the job done!.

or put some accelerator in your top coat, at a quid a half a metre, sets in the day, go home and sleep easy.
messing around with heaters and stuff.

Used weatherbys mineral top coat for the first time today ,lovely gear easy to apply than the silicon rubbed up nice ,everything is easy to clean off and within an hour it had started to set

Coloured,the only downside to mineral is you have to make sure you mix the right amount as you have to use with in 2 hours

Used weatherbys mineral top coat for the first time today ,lovely gear easy to apply than the silicon rubbed up nice ,everything is easy to clean off and within an hour it had started to set

Is theirs supplied wet in a tub or is it dry in a bag that you mix with water ?

Its in a 20 kg tub ,its powder,it says add 4 litre's of water but its nearer 5 I'd say for the right consistency they said it's from Ireland its called Terraco

They were promoting this mineral finish as a new thing and unique.
Its been going years probably before texture was batched up in tubs with paint and silicone all together.
I asked them if it was new what was different to the likes of noblo but they didn't know. They probably were short sighted to realise other manufacturers had been doing it years but it just wasn't as popular

Too much fuss about the top coat I think. You need to keep an eye on the weather for the next 72h. Last week finished 4 properties with top coat and waited 72h until set. The basecoat took 5 ******* days. Never had to wait this long ! Webber! Today finished another one . Basecoat took 48h . Top coat was set by the end of the day. Not completely but by far quicker than Webber! At this time of the year I always avoid the primer. Makes your life much easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.