To Pva or not to Pva with drywall adheasive

Members online

Server

I currently have a wall that was plastered, which has all the plaster removed and is now down to the breeze brick. The wall is very dusty. I am now going to put plasterboard on it using gyproc drywall adheasive.

The question is should I Pva the wall before applying the adheasive, if so, what ratio (dilution) of Pva to water should I use.

Yes .Brush wall and then a weak coat of PVA. Then dab away to your hearts content. Ps. The anti PVA movement will be along in a mo to say other wise.:fuckyou:

image.jpeg

Had a customer in a listed building dabbed their own walls to save a few quid. Conservation officer told them not to use pva (on dusty brick) so as to preserve the original wall. I tapped it to check the adhesion and it fell off right in front of me.

Splash the wall with a drop of water to kill off the dust, then pva. Follow instructions on back off the tub as to how much to dilute as some brands are thicker than others.

Hello I'm here

No pva needed

Ever
I not with ul on that one.
I used adhesive a few times on dusty backgrounds and some joints cracked.
Then when same backgrounds came round again I pva dab points. Only on dusty backgrounds. never had an issue since. I looked into this and could not find spec with dry wall adhesive on a dusty background. Plenty of adhesive used so only reason I had for movement was adhesion of dabs on surface.any plaster on a dusty background will not adhere properly. This dri wall adhesive is a myth that u can hit any surface without any prep what so ever.

Last edited:
Never pva'd a wall before dabbing even if they were proper dusty, a good brush down + wet before you dab + never had a problem or they've never noticed the boards falling off the wall!! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never pva'd a wall before dabbing even if they were proper dusty, a good brush down + wet before you dab + never had a problem or they've never noticed the boards falling off the wall!! [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems quite clear that guys have had adhesion problems due to surface.
I know it can be used on high suction background but if it's a 100 year old sand lime common brickwork wall with old plaster hacked off I am using pva on it.
I have seen when a wall was stripped with adhesive dabs on it and a scraper pulled them off.as in a thread above.

I not with ul on that one.
I used adhesive a few times on dusty backgrounds and some joints cracked.
Then when same backgrounds came round again I pva dab points. Only on dusty backgrounds. never had an issue since. I looked into this and could not find spec with dry wall adhesive on a dusty background. Plenty of adhesive used so only reason I had for movement was adhesion of dabs on surface.any plaster on a dusty background will not adhere properly. This dri wall adhesive is a myth that u can hit any surface without any prep what so ever.
No worries bud was having a bit of a laugh.. But tbh I have never used pva before dri wall adhesive.if it works okay just do it I suppose.
Come on Utd.

As above. Sweep all dust off and a weak coat of pva. I even give new breeze block a weak coat as I've seen it came unstuck do to their high suction