To PVA or not to PVA that is the question

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorhouse

New Gaffer thinks he knows it all. Looking for options on would you PVA 5to1 and let dry painted thermolit blocks before dot and dab.
vwx2iv.jpg
[/IMG]

just key the blocks with your hammer

Yup, scutch hammer and just chip it down in as many places as you'd put dabs. Uniform adhesion/suction straight onto the structure.

Quicker to roll on WBA and use secondary fixing like nailable plug on next day before you skim - done that over painted walls. I'd dab over the joints for extra key.

Nailable fixings..................abit OTT dont you think

Thanks, he don't want to pay for WBA and said use PVA. I said will just scratch up surface for such a small area and get job done.

would use WBA if i was to gloss it. its only emulsion and as dot and dab not skim seems a waste to treat all wall when can scratch up where needed

OK folks help out a newbie

WBA yeah OK heard of it but not much else, this is a neccessity for controlling suction on an unusual surface?

Are thermolit blocks similar to aircrete (it is thermalite blocks just a spelling thing?) some were saying just hack into it a bit which suggests a very rough way of creating a key but something like WBA is surely for suction?

Any help appreciated as ever. Love these topics for when I can get an answer and I'll put you all on my Christmas card list.

WBA yeah OK heard of it but not much else, this is a neccessity for controlling suction on an unusual surface?

Are thermolit blocks similar to aircrete (it is thermalite blocks just a spelling thing?) some were saying just hack into it a bit which suggests a very rough way of creating a key but something like WBA is surely for suction?

Any help appreciated as ever. Love these topics for when I can get an answer and I'll put you all on my Christmas card list.
the bonding agents do control suction but they also form a key for what ever coat of material you are putting on top

Thermalite, aircrete etc are all insulating blocks and a very soft. So you don't need to hack into them, little more than a scrape with pressure will take off the surface. So using a scotch or comb chisel/hammer takes very little time and effort. You remove the doubt about the kitchen/bathroom emulsion peeling off in sheets as you're sticking direct to the block structure.

I'll quite happily take on the challenge to scrape faster than you can get any of the liquid agents on the wall. Hammer from the bag start scraping, you'd have a wall done in minutes.

Obviously this doesn't apply to 7n blockwork as though doable it does take longer.

As for nailing fixings into them, rather you than me Gungadin!

Get a handboard of gear and give it the tightest coat of drywall where your gonna dab the. Dab straight on as it's still wet or if you have time pregrit

Thanks for your comments, found out where the gaffer went to school. The Tommy School of DIY. PVA is the way Tommy says :)
[video=youtube_share;LpAe75e19X0]http://youtu.be/LpAe75e19X0[/video]

Pva will do cock all on painted blocks Pva controls suction aswell as adhesive there is no suction already in them blocks the issue here is key either pregrit or scutch the block

Once again a simple problem is being over thought by the many on here. The simple solution would be to EML, Tank it with a membrane, stud wall with a vapour barrier on the back, insulate the studs, vapour barrier on top, duplex boards, WITH NAILABLE FIXINGS, RIB lath, hardwall then skim.

It's so simple......but no, no everyone wants to sound technical with PVA or Textured products.

This place has gone to the dogs since dom1no left.

Cancel my account Danny I'm outta here.

Ok @flynnyman you say nailable plugs are totally waste of time ? where BG / Richard Lord recommend it ? Was it only for fire safety ? :)
Where the **** did I say that? BG don't recommend them neither did Richard lord for dabbing normal boards like what Arti said this is basics either pregrit or just go straight onto it to be honest I've dabbed thousands of walls like that without any prep. I'm out of here delete my account Danny :)

Status
Not open for further replies.