time served v course

Status
Not open for further replies.
why do, time served plasters hate......... course plasters so much.

i know old skool plasterers who did courses right at the start of there apprentiship, then learnt on the job for 3 years, i was surprised when i heard they did "courses" but it was seen as schooling not a course as such!

basically the same as doing a course and working as laubourer/improver, it just fast tracked a bit more these days, they feel people dont pay there dues

they hate courses cause bk in the day they got treated like b!tches and talked to like cr ap while they mixed up for some old b*stad and earned no money and nowadays it more nicey nicey and they feel like people dont earn it these days! i think if ya good ya good dont matter how u got there!!

they just old fashioned and out of touch (the ones ive met) in terms of the way they think its ok to treat newbies and boll ock them like an old fashioned headmaster! in there day u would get a trowel thrown at u if u made a mistake and spoken to like dirt, thats y some of the older plasterers are a**holes  :-*

the game has changed since there day  :-/

Mainly because it makes a mockery of our trade to lead people to think they can learn plastering at a two week training course when in fact it takes years to master properly and I mean years to learn all aspects of plastering.

My family (males) have all been plasterers on my dads side from my great great grandad. They didn't even use drills to mix and had a torrid time in a really hard trade but still loved there job and had probably the best name about and still to this day old timers ask if i am related to so and so and for people to go on a 2 day course then get ther name scrolled across a ford transit with big bold "Plasterer" just seems wrong to me it doesn't do the trade justice. Thats just my opinion ofcourse :) Peace out !

personally i dont think courses have much in common with labouring on site, although i havent been on a course since i was 16 and at BAe, but even then, the 'training school' environment was a whole world away from 'shop floor'..
plastering is a skill, all skills take time to master and its more about what NOT to do than learning techniques when you get out in the real world...
mixing work and education would be a good idea cos you get the best of both worlds...
even i sit here and ponder the chemical compositions of stuff and wonder exactly why stuff does what it does, so if i had the theory id be better placed to make the right decision on site... this forum is great for that...
but at the end of the day theres nothing better (imo) than making a good few cock ups to teach you a bloody good lesson and you dont get that unless your on the receiving end of the customers / gaffers wrath...
i reckon a good plasterer will have made just about every balls up in the book... thats why he's good...

how long do you have to be in the trade.... before you can call your self a plaster?

you can call yourself a plasterer after any lenght of time 3 days , 3 months , 3 years , there is no set time as such .

a customer once told me...... someone who didnt make mistakes, didnt learn anything  ;D

ive learnt loads from mistakes but if u aint got no one there to tell u its a mistake then u aint gonna learn, but i dont agree with the gaffer giving u real attiude about it when u r learning

by 'mistake' i mean something that either costs you time or money, thats how you know its a mistake...
nothing wrong with doin something a different way long as it does the job...
as for the gaffer... well,
i once had a bloke work with me at a firm, and again for me later on...
one thing i got sick of hearing from this guy was 'well i thought..'
no, he didnt think, not at all... thats the reason i asked him to do something a certain way in the first place because i knew the full picture and had spent a good few hours solving problems in my head before i even got on site... for him to come accross something i had given instructions on and stick two fingers up at my instruction only to cause me a headache later on was just plain stupid... and yeah, he got the hairdryer for it...

i learnt on site guy i was working with got some cash if i went 1ns a week god ppl their wernt gona be doing the work i was gona be doing most wer ppl just passing and pissing their teens up. sneeking out for smoke not bothering to turn up .got their tickets nvqs just for lasting till end of the course.i didnt stay to finish mines we wer to bussy working to give me a day up .but ass it hapens im just sorting out going on a free course to get same nvqs in a couple a asesments ...also when pple only do courses thyy normaly have to work and learn anouther few years for some chavy till u learn how to make ur cash. papers allways good to have in presont climate.

Bulls$$t boys,thats the difference,if you havent been around long on site you just dont no all the excuses ,then you fkuk something up and dont no how to pass the blame,time served lads no the bulls$$t,i could screw your gable end up(not literally if you get my drift),blame the gear,the weather or next doors dog for barkin like a bast and get paid with a bit extra for you messin me about with your stupid gable,you cant buy experience!!

spend 3____5 years learning on site become a plasterer .learn 3 years at traning camp.then 4 years on site to becoume plasterer. dont do the site work u ight be able to scimm big 10 mtr walls on ur own .mibi render the odd piller.or just blag ur way throu lifes little fek ups . for those who havent got papers goverment give u the chance to get them free in a couple a days asesment course im haveing a slice a that never no might need it to get on goverment jobs it wont make me beter thou just sound beter.

Bulls$$t boys,thats the difference,if you havent been around long on site you just dont no all the excuses ,then you fkuk something up and dont no how to pass the blame,time served lads no the bulls$$t,i could screw your gable end up(not literally if you get my drift),blame the gear,the weather or next doors dog for barkin like a bast and get paid  with a bit extra for you messin me about with your stupid gable,you cant buy experience!!
;D
blame yer mate, then get yer mate to blame you... confuses the hell out of em till they give up ;)

Never been on a course, don't have no nvqs but can earn my crust plastering. Is it wrong I didn't go down the paper route, well that depends on who's opinion it is. Me, all I know is this is a b4stard of a world we live in and a mans got to do what a mans got to do to put the bread and butter on the table for his family. All I know is, I never leave a bad job and my clients are always happy. Is my plastering going to win any award's, I couldn't give a flying fcuk about that. All I care about is above, putting the bread on the table, having a good name and leaving the clients happy. That's all that matters at the end of the day.

you can call yourself a plasterer after any lenght of time 3 days , 3 months , 3 years , there is no set time as such .
No you can't, there is a four year apprenticeship which gets you to a point where you can start learning to be a spread.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

No you can't, there is a four year apprenticeship which gets you to a point where you can start learning to be a spread.

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk
You can call yourself an elephant if you want, the proof is in the pudding, if you don't get complaints you can call yourself what you want. 4 yeas then start learning maybe brain surgery would be the quicker choice:risas:

As everyone is giving there opinion i might aswell dive in myself. Tbh it doesnt matter if you go to college labour on site or just make a go of it yourself aslong as the job is good in the end thats all that matters to a customer. My mate is a joiner and he taught himself how to plaster and to be fair he is probably the best plasterer i know his work is perfect and quick. Its plastering its not rocket science, i understand not everyone can do it but there are harder trades to learn out there. Before everyone jumps down my throat cos of what i have just said ive been plastering for ten years and still find it amazing. Ive had to learn alot myself due to poor tradesmen working for me and if i can earn the money rather than pay someone else then its a huge bonus.

It is a skill but if your taught proper you will be more skilled, you can get away on site all day long but domestics you will get caught out eventually :)

It is a skill but if your taught proper you will be more skilled, you can get away on site all day long but domestics you will get caught out eventually :)
That not true.Think their more of a chance of getting caught on site whith site agent and people that run the site .Unless they no nothing about plastering .and that very rare thes days .

Those that defend courses and chancing are coursers and chancers. Nobody that has gone to the trouble of learning properly on an apprenticeship, on s**t money for years, are going to say courses are a great thing and welcome along the coursers. Let's just scrap apprenticeships and let the trade really go to the dogs! o_O Same applies to all trades! Standards are getting worse!

Going out into the real world and working on people's houses or chancing it on site after a 1 or 2 week course is an absolute f**k**g joke!
Thing is, coursers and chancers spend enough years practising on paying customers and they become ok, trial and error, but leave a trail of destruction behind them. Look at some of the questions that people come on here with! This is a big reason why so many very knowledgeable and reputable spreads have left the forum over the years. The change in this trade can be seen through here! No disrespect to the forum, I like the forum :)

Rant over. Should have tried harder in school.

Those that defend courses and chancing are coursers and chancers. Nobody that has gone to the trouble of learning properly on an apprenticeship, on s**t money for years, are going to say courses are a great thing and welcome along the coursers. Let's just scrap apprenticeships and let the trade really go to the dogs! o_O Same applies to all trades! Standards are getting worse!

Going out into the real world and working on people's houses or chancing it on site after a 1 or 2 week course is an absolute f**k**g joke!
Thing is, coursers and chancers spend enough years practising on paying customers and they become ok, trial and error, but leave a trail of destruction behind them. Look at some of the questions that people come on here with! This is a big reason why so many very knowledgeable and reputable spreads have left the forum over the years. The change in this trade can be seen through here! No disrespect to the forum, I like the forum :)

Rant over. Should have tried harder in school.
Me to I studied to b a doctor for 2 years.But packed it in becouse I'm a s*x maniac that y I am a plasterer thes days whith big muscles the women love me:musculoso:i never regretted it

Status
Not open for further replies.