Through colour render on timber frame + brick with lime mortar

Members online

squishio

Hi All,

I've been reading various posts on similar topics, but as yet I havent been able to come up with an answer to my exact situation.

I have a 1890's end of terrace cottage, very shoddy brickwork solid 9" brick walls with lime mortar, gable wall was rebuilt with celcon+s/c mortar aprox 15years ago, rendered with s/c over EML
We have just done a full width dormer loft conversion which is mostly timber frame (clad in 18mm ply with tyvek over it) other than the gable wall which we continued up in block.
I'd like to render the entire rear of the house and potentially the gable wall too to match.

I was looking at Weber Pral M, but their techs say it's only for block/brick structures and will be too strong to go onto the brick wall anyway due to the lime mortar.

For the dormer, I know I could put aquapanel as a substrate, but I dont have the depth available to create the ventilated cavity that Knauf specify. I had planned on covering everything in EML and coating the lot, but has anyone got any suggestions or reasons why that would be a terrible idea?

Full disclosure, I'm not a plasterer nor professional builder, just gaining as much knowledge as I can, because as yet, I have not found a plasterer who knows the answer to the above, just people ready to slap on whatever I tell them to.

Heres the house, hopefully gives some contect to the question!

IMG_20180716_1903208.jpg

Thanks!
Rich