Thoughts on the sponge float

Members online

James Quinn

Hi guys
Sort of a newbie as i had an account a while back but forgot my username and password ao had to start a fresh.

I am a plasterer of 11 years experience. I have worked for an ALMO (arms length management organisation) setup by the local council ever since i left school. Recently they have expanded and have taken on more plasterers to meet work demand.

Meeting new guys has meant learning different stuff and different methods of work and a method i find is people having different ways of using a sponge float. Some put their 2 coat finish on then go over with it as they say its brings the fats out of the plaster and some people use it when they are loosing it and need to bring it back to life.

What are your thoughts on this and do you use one yourself?

Thanks for your time

@Jurek has been known to use a sponge a time or two. I have had a go and it works ok to bring it back if your in trouble but that rarely happens.handy to have in the tool bag though.

Hi guys
Sort of a newbie as i had an account a while back but forgot my username and password ao had to start a fresh.

I am a plasterer of 11 years experience. I have worked for an ALMO (arms length management organisation) setup by the local council ever since i left school. Recently they have expanded and have taken on more plasterers to meet work demand.

Meeting new guys has meant learning different stuff and different methods of work and a method i find is people having different ways of using a sponge float. Some put their 2 coat finish on then go over with it as they say its brings the fats out of the plaster and some people use it when they are loosing it and need to bring it back to life.

What are your thoughts on this and do you use one yourself?

Thanks for your time
yeah i use one. medium density hydrorubber. two coat method for me. theres a few videos on youtube that show its use. leaves a lovely finish if done correctly. shite if not. great for feathering as well and when you have a liquorice allsorts of different backgrounds.

some old men taught me. they would use a wooden float with carpet tacked to it. draylon was the best. but expensive. didnt clog as much as shag pile. Scouring they called it.

Last edited:
I have never seen a plasterer get a good finish using a sponge...

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

You can get an awesome finish using a sponge but for me it's another process which isn't always necessary. Sponges come into there own on really bumpy walls in conjunction with a plazi.

Cant even understand how they are better than doing it normally in them jobs u mentioned ? How does a sponge float even out a 'bumpy' wall ?? Lol

It doesn't even it out, it's if the skim is on deeper in places, if you sponge it, it gives a uniform response to the trowel when flattening.

Cant even understand how they are better than doing it normally in them jobs u mentioned ? How does a sponge float even out a 'bumpy' wall ?? Lol
It doesn't even it out just makes it easier to trowel with a plazi. I'm talking old cottage walls that you can't land a metal trowel on.

I sponge it anyway at all, on edge, so long as it's dragged over it there's no difference IMO.

Sponge the walls vertically trowel after same direction. Leaves a better finish imo especially on large walls that havent flattened in well.

It doesn't even it out just makes it easier to trowel with a plazi. I'm talking old cottage walls that you can't land a metal trowel on.

R plastic trowels that bendy ? Surely a metal trowel would work still? Just dont see a need it sponging it unless u have lost the set , Just seems daft to me , i agree with scottie5

All the negative posters are spot on regarding the sponge, ie. There is no need for it in a perfect world, however when obstacles need to be overcome it can be a deadly weapon.
Anywhere where the stuff is on too deep for any reason the sponge float always comes out.
The old saying is ideal in this scenario,
'Don't knock it until you've tried it'

Just don't get caught out after sponge. Guaranteed any dodge skimming I've seen didn't have a sponge float before it. It's shows up any missed hollows on the following trowel. You would notice the difference in a finished wall.