Thistle Undercoats Q&A

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BritishGypsum

Hi all,

It’s time for another Q&A! This time we’ll be looking at Thistle Undercoat Plasters on 7th October at 4pm.

As usual, we’ll be taking live questions for an hour but let us know if you have any in advance - our favourite may just win a prize!

Cheers,
British Gypsum

When will we see a fast setting undercoat. Or an accelerator to add to it.?
Would be ideal on domestics. Time is money after all.

When will we see a fast setting undercoat. Or an accelerator to add to it.?
Would be ideal on domestics. Time is money after all.
I could have done with that today,I waited for what seemed an age to skim a tiny patch.an accelerator would be good with say x scoops per bag for 1h set x for 45minute set and so on.i think the same would be great for skim too you could buy a tub and keep it in the van for when it's needed.

I would like a gypsum based backing coat that designed to skim next day personally. I prefer to float all day and skim next, which at the moment means having to give it a weak pva before skimming. Dri coat is too expensive to use regularly and Sand and cement is too much hassle for internals.

I could have done with that today,I waited for what seemed an age to skim a tiny patch.an accelerator would be good with say x scoops per bag for 1h set x for 45minute set and so on.i think the same would be great for skim too you could buy a tub and keep it in the van for when it's needed.

I've just tried out a new quick set bonding for them that might make it to the market.
Good bit of kit.
60 min set.
Great for patches etc that you mention.

I've just tried out a new quick set bonding for them that might make it to the market.
Good bit of kit.
60 min set.
Great for patches etc that you mention.
The only downfall with that is that only a few merchants will stock it because they may not sell enough before it goes ood,at least the addative accelerator will last on the shelf for a longer period and you can also choose how long the set is.

Hi all,

It’s time for another Q&A! This time we’ll be looking at Thistle Undercoat Plasters on 7th October at 4pm.

As usual, we’ll be taking live questions for an hour but let us know if you have any in advance - our favourite may just win a prize!

Cheers,
British Gypsum
Can we put to bed , that you can use hardwall on solid 9" brickwork outside walls ( not out outside ) hope so cos that's what your tech dept AV been telling me for years , it replaced renovation plaster

Can we put to bed , that you can use hardwall on solid 9" brickwork outside walls ( not out outside ) hope so cos that's what your tech dept AV been telling me for years , it replaced renovation plaster

Thats why it smells so bad!
Did BG do renovating, i cant remember.?

@BritishGypsum . Thanks for the PM with kind offers of cheap gear with lumps in but I can get them from wickes or bandq with easier to open bags. I was thinking I could collect the bags from further inside the factory where they wouldn't be as open as the ones near the exit of your factory.

As I said, cash, no questions asked.

Maybe I should mention there maybe two more houses after this

@BritishGypsum . Thanks for the PM with kind offers of cheap gear with lumps in but I can get them from wickes or bandq with easier to open bags. I was thinking I could collect the bags from further inside the factory where they wouldn't be as open as the ones near the exit of your factory.

As I said, cash, no questions asked.

Maybe I should mention there maybe two more houses after this

You crack me up!

Do you have any new base coats in the pipeline?given the choice a lot of spreads would chose to use s&c over gypsum based backing coats

Yes something with a bit of texture like s&c but light weight,easier than hardwall to float up and no or minimal priming or wetting down before you skim it.:)

Maybe if you went in with a shovel and a pick and bagged it yourself? Maybe even barrow it straight to the job? Gotta be cheaper ;)

Maybe if you went in with a shovel and a pick and bagged it yourself? Maybe even barrow it straight to the job? Gotta be cheaper ;)

Good point. But how would you get the big lumps into the delicate bags ?
Leave it to BG, they've been experts at feckin it up since 2009

In Boston they sell accelerator and retarder in packets with cut off amounts per time required. Just cut off the time u want and add it. Obviously that's too complicated for England. We use that precise dirty water bit of cement oh s**t it's going hard in the tub technique

Thanks for the questions so far everyone - there's some good ones in there (y)

Just a reminder that we'll be live at 4pm today, so we'll see you then!

Status
Not open for further replies.