The Tainted Trowel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dukestreetking

Hello Gentlemen/Gentlewomen, I'm Scott, pleased to meet you all, here is my story,

I done my bathroom, skimmed the walls and I was over the moon with them so then I ended up doing bathroom ceiling, I can't believe how good it looks, even got a few days work from it after a few people seen the bathroom, even the Mrs liked it and the last time she liked something must of been before I met her.

Anyways I was helping out in a pals New tattoo studio and eventually got talking to a plasterer who has been in the game for years and in the end I started knocking up for him got chatting and managed to convince him to give me a go, trowel in hand, hawk at my side... The moment of truth.... Put the trowel on the wall.. Spread it lightly, thought I was doing great...

"What the **** you doing? Are you scared of it?" I said no why, he said just get it on, so I did, then like an idiot I was stood there trying to smooth off what I'd just put on, for about 20 mins why he is stood there laughing... After about a week of do this, do that, watch this, hold it 10mm away etc, he gave me a masterclass, was letting me do bits and bobs after I'd boarded up and then he told me to come back in the week after and he will knock up for me and let me have a proper go, was so nervous but thought right, come on, here we go, I bossed it, felt so proud.

This guy showed me all sorts in such a small space of time and after a week I was skimming with him, at the end of the job he handed me one of his Marshalltown trowels as a gift then said, "You can't mess up plastering, well you can if you're an idiot, in that case I want my trowel back" This has really opened my eyes to how good plastering as a trade is, would love to get into the game by being somebody's apprentice, I asked the old bloke but he said he barely works now, he just does it for family and friends (he is 59 btw) we exchanged numbers and he is gonna bring me in when he is doing one of his jobs, top, top bloke and has given me hope to find work I'd love to be doing every day (ex steel builder/roofer)

P.S did I get your attention with the title? Thanks for reading.

its all about practice, you will spend your life learning stuff in the plastering game, so much can go wrong, your teacher was a bit blase as most plasterers are, you will need about 4 yrs plastering before you are any use on a site, then another 20 learning new stuff and perfecting the old.. welcome by the way, ps nice title, the tainted trowel...

Aye, I think his comment of "You can't go wrong" was a little mess around.

And I think every job now you have to keep on improving/learning, there is always somebody who is better if you stick to one level.

I don't expect to be a plasterer in the near future etc, but I've already got a bit of work through my parents to continue practicing, I honestly forgot what it felt like to go to work and enjoy myself.

And yes, I thought 'The Tainted Trowel' would entice folk.

Thanks for your reply, John.

He did not drive a rust bucket black transit by any chance. Or did he do a lot of filming for you tube.

Hello mate

welcome to the Forum - sounds like you have had a crash course so far..... practice, practice, practice...........

Good Luck mate

Hello and welcome oh and don't worry it is easy with about 5 to 30 yrs of practice :RpS_lol:

Thanks for the welcome, I feel like the new kid at school. I've got the bug now, doing a pals bedroom tomorrow, I tell you one thing though, since I've been looking at everyone's walls thinking, that needs doing again etc. And now my flat annoys me, front room and kitchen were 're done not to long ago, (had full New kitchen installed) I've noticed that a few of my walls are very wavey, especially the window reveals.. What do you pro's suggest I do? Bang some bead on and get them flush or leave them as 6 week's ago I don't think I'd ever looked at them. But I know if I do the reveals I'll end up doing the full lot. Again, thanks for the welcome. Scott.

Thanks for the welcome, I feel like the new kid at school. I've got the bug now, doing a pals bedroom tomorrow, I tell you one thing though, since I've been looking at everyone's walls thinking, that needs doing again etc. And now my flat annoys me, front room and kitchen were 're done not to long ago, (had full New kitchen installed) I've noticed that a few of my walls are very wavey, especially the window reveals.. What do you pro's suggest I do? Bang some bead on and get them flush or leave them as 6 week's ago I don't think I'd ever looked at them. But I know if I do the reveals I'll end up doing the full lot. Again, thanks for the welcome. Scott.
All about how much the bother you,

Status
Not open for further replies.