The Plasterers Arms Disco

Members online

I'm fit for telling a little story.

The Royal Engineers have the capability to build bars wherever they go and do. @Tinytom will probably back me up on this - but I think drinking on tour might not be what it was - he's a decade younger than me and was involved in very different tours - especially now we have to try to be friends with Arabs.

They built a bar in Banja Luka - eight shipping containers in a square with a roof. The bar was one little hole about six inches square. There was no choice and no change. Beer was DM 1. Put DM 20 in the hole and the hand would pass back 20 bottles of Becks. Seeing as DM 20 was only about six quid for 20 beers, it was pretty much the case that you'd grab what you could carry and hand the rest out.

The RSM, a Canadian infantryman from the PPCLI said that 2000-2200 was plenty drinking time, so we'd guzzle like f**k. In fact, some people would claim that they had no time to talk because they were too busy trying to get drunk.

Anyway, all we had was a DJ, Donk from Doncaster, a REME tech was the DJ, steel walls and a hole for passing Deutchmarks and beer through.

All would be well for about forty minutes, then Donk would smash us with Rivers of Babylon and the place would go beserk for an hour.

Tom, do Squaddies still love Boney M, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Timewarp, and other assorted disco shaite?

Last edited:
I'm fit for telling a little story.

The Royal Engineers have the capability to build bars wherever they go and do. @Tinytom will probably back me up on this - but I think drinking on tour might not be what it was - he's a decade younger than me and was involved in very different tours - especially now we have to try to be friends with Arabs.

They built a bar in Banja Luka - eight shipping containers in a square with a roof. The bar was one little hole about six inches square. There was no choice and no change. Beer was DM 1. Put DM 20 in the hole and the hand would pass back 20 bottles of Becks. Seeing as DM 20 was only about six quid for 20 beers, it was pretty much the case that you'd grab what you could carry and hand the rest out.

The RSM, a Canadian infantryman from the PPCLI said that 2000-2200 was plenty drinking time, so we'd guzzle like f**k. In fact, some people would claim that they had no time to talk because they were too busy trying to get drunk.

Anyway, all we had was a DJ, Donk from Doncaster, a REME tech was the DJ, steel walls and a hole for passing Deutchmarks and beer through.

All would be well for about forty minutes, then Donk would smash us with Rivers of Babylon and the place would go beserk for an hour.

Tom, do Squaddies still love Boney M, Tom Jones, Johnny Cash, Timewarp, and other assorted disco shaite?

Drinking on tour is totally banned now, we did get a couple of cans on Xmas day but that was it and the oc has to smuggle those into theatre.
Johnny cash is still a big favourite, not so much the others though.

Good band. Followed them onstage a few years back.
i-ou9.gif