The pain barrier!

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPlaster

Private Member
You will meet the pain barrier but if you embrace it and overcome it's the best plasteres job going, I once screeded for six weeks solid instead of the usual house every say two weeks and you get real quick lads, so don't be put off, It's nice to wack 10 ton down Saturday morning, enjoy.

Just laid 4 ton and my back is in half its not been right for a while but i think this was the last nail in the coffin, was struggling a bit come the end, started at 2 and finished at 5 but this would of been fine if this was the only job i done today i also done 2 sets this morning first set was a big ceiling about 40m2 i need a holiday :RpS_crying:

The trick of screeding, is all in the rules,and not moving the screed around to much, that the labs job. 10m3 on Saturday,a nice way to finish the week,keep a steady pace and yu wont be cream crackered at the end of the day.Plenty of water helps, I found that my back twinged because I would become de hydrated quickly ,and not replacing it.I think the kidneys hurt because of it,not the actual back.

Not many spreads get on with screeding Gibbo, but when your getting nearly 12m2 on a supply and fit,for the labour element its a good earner and a good work out.

i can screed no bother mark just havent been asked to do any most firms i work for have dedicated screeders i only do sitework

I would be the same gibbo, I only do a couple a year and every time i say never again it aint worth the pittance i get paid but the company i did it for have given me work ever since i started many moons ago.

I am contractor myself, and I do use screeders, but I still like to keep my hand in as I actually really enjoy it mate.madness you might say.

sand cement screed is donkey work and has to be the hardest graft about. i like above, havnt done any for years. just flo screed nowadays.
dont kill yourself at work lads it doesnt matter how much stuff you have, if your in an early grave,

I lay on average 1 every 2 weeks, for a conny company i sub for, all float and set work on the walls, then a screed to finnish off.Always looks good when you finnish a whole job.

That's how we used to do it back in the day, I've been tacking, float & set with 115²m screed to go down on the same job recently, so it seems if you can supply all the skills you get to pay the bills, it's back to how it used to be and I like it!

Done one last month with sand/cement, first one for ages & although it was hard graft I felt good after it, like a good workout really, as said. First one I'd ever done over underfloor heating pipes too:RpS_thumbup:

Not many spreads get on with screeding Gibbo, but when your getting nearly 12m2 on a supply and fit,for the labour element its a good earner and a good work out.
sods law you mention it and ive got one to do next week

:RpS_laugh: Weird how things work out we were doing a job in the middle of no where a place that i have never worked and we get a call from a builder we do work for asking us to price a job and it was just around the corner just coincidence or mystical forces at work lol.

Only ever laboured when it comes to screed. And the bloke I did it for was s**t at them so I'd like someone to show me properly before I do it on my tod. He used to do it freehand which done properly is ok but his was shocking, and the only other builder I helped do it used poles to screed off and it took ages. Is there a quick way to freehand?

Only ever laboured when it comes to screed. And the bloke I did it for was s**t at them so I'd like someone to show me properly before I do it on my tod. He used to do it freehand which done properly is ok but his was shocking, and the only other builder I helped do it used poles to screed off and it took ages. Is there a quick way to freehand?

Beddy,

There isnt any real quick way to free hand, its all in the rules. Its a bit like pastering, its as quick as the man doing it.What increases your speed is certain techniques you learn along your way.And a dogged determinaion to keep going when the body says NO !

Ok I'll rephrase it. Can you free hand it and get it spot on quicker than laying poles? The old boy used to do his rules around 2ft wide and I personally think that's too wide. They used to belly in the middle so when he was filling in, he was rulling off the high edge which means the rest of the floor is out, if you understand me

Ok I'll rephrase it. Can you free hand it and get it spot on quicker than laying poles? The old boy used to do his rules around 2ft wide and I personally think that's too wide. They used to belly in the middle so when he was filling in, he was rulling off the high edge which means the rest of the floor is out, if you understand me

Beddy,

I am guessing you are talking about your screeds you put round a room , in order to set out your floor before you infill your bays. We used to use spots or foot long pieces of batton leveled in, then taken out when filling in the bay.

These days with the aid of a laser, we still put spots around the room but have the luxury of using the laser and a rod to get these really spot on ( more accurate than a level that has been thrown around the site if you get me) Once we have spotted and formed our bays we just pull back the bays using the rules.

Difficult to explain without pictures I guess.

If your ever in Kent,give us a call and we would be happy for you to come along for a day or two.

Did a screed years ago in a renovation over weekend, got to job on sat morning and realised no spirit levels, they were 40 miles away so had to use brain cell so cut a bit of wood and used ceiling as guage, floor turned out ok but gyproc on ceiling was scored to bits.

Just done a screed today on a prison just sat at home with a coffee waiting for the sore back to kick in lol, must admit though its quite enjoyable something different

Last edited:
F*** me, another Saturday another screed...this time right near Victoria Station...logistics nightmare.Westminster Council.....say no more !

On the rare ocasions i do screeds nowadays, usualy on connies we have 5 foot metal rules which we move as we go so you can fill the the void as you go just dot them in with the laser.

Status
Not open for further replies.