That video where skim fell off the ceiling!

Members online

hail hail

Private Member
Anyone find out the reason why that skim fell of the ceiling. Reason why um asking, it happened to another plasterer I was working with today.

I'm in throwing on a 10ft part dormer ceiling (with slope) and the other plasterer is in throwing on a 1m wide long ceiling. Everything going as normal until I hear a big shout 'f**k' and my name only to see the other plasterer walking in with skim all over him. To be honest, I was laughing my balls off at it but was discussed after it fcuked our day up.

The ceiling was under a flat roof, roof was all over the place and the boarder's battened out and bordered. We had to bond it yesterday to sort it out for skimming. Today, threw on about 9am then this happened :(

I've seen ceilings bow, or collapse when someone had threw bonding on, then skimmed straight away, but this is the first time I've seen skim just peel and fall off a ceiling.

Anyone any ideas to how this happened. I'm sitting wondering is there a bad batch of gypsum going about

Only had it once where a ceiling had been painted with a chalky lime paint then artex over, the artez let go as I was on final trowel, heart breaking.
As it happens got a bedroom in a different house on the same street tomorrow, client won't have the Celings lowered and boarded (they slope down in the corners) so gotta risk it again

Ive seen that as well..

Unusual thing about that one was its was still like piss, the first time I came across distemper it was a suction and adhesion issue which was only a issue when I was troweling up..

Since then goes without saying really I away opt for a hack off and redo, not a fan of washing as I don't reckon it will get rid of it all..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ive had it before. and few others have. always seems to be after 2nd trowel.

the artex comes clean off the ceiling leaving the existing lovely smooth grey original.skim..

Yif youve saved some of the bags of skim hail hail you need to get a rep to take it to be tested.
Would you normaly give the bonding a devil float before skimming?

@hail hail just to confirm mate, it was battened and boarded and then bonding coat and then skimmed, is that right ?
Any pictures?

I'll be honest I only ever had ceilings peel when skimming over Artex with pva and multi.

car-sales.jpg

They call him honest Pete! :envidioso:D

@hail hail just to confirm mate, it was battened and boarded and then bonding coat and then skimmed, is that right ?
Any pictures?

I'll be honest I only ever had ceilings peel when skimming over Artex with pva and multi.

You wouldn't know honest if it jumped up and slapped that silly boat of yours

Did you pva before skimming?and was it still wet?

I wasn't the one on this ceiling. I'm sure it. I asked the other plasterer did he PVA it because I'd already had PVA mixed up and his answer was no.

Any pictures?

Yes, battend out, boarded then bonded. Had to bond it because of the boarding. Next day after bonding, went to skim in morning then this happened.

what was on the back of the plaster when it came off?

You could see the imprint of the bonding.

Was the bonding still on the ceiling or did that fail?

Bonding still on ceiling.

I wasn't the one on this ceiling. I'm sure it. I asked the other plasterer did he PVA it because I'd already had PVA mixed up and his answer was no.

Yes, battend out, boarded then bonded. Had to bond it because of the boarding. Next day after bonding, went to skim in morning then this happened.

You could see the imprint of the bonding.

Bonding still on ceiling.
Did you rub up with a brush?