Tapit tape external render review

Members online

It ain't the same mate it definitely performs different I don't find gripfill nowhere near as good as pink grip
It may be different now but when launched about twenty years ago it was same product with pink dye.
The guy filled the tubes himself, went on to be a huge success because everyone was talking about it being pink.

Yeah gripfill seems too soft and sloppy for beadwork pink grip holds its form better

Haven’t used either in ages Tom, but remember the difference. For what I do these days, either sticks like turbo or adhesive foam.

I used to fit out chinese restaurants and all the stainless steel in kitchens was stuck on with clear silicone and a few blobs of instant grab to hold it while silicone went off.

It was designed for reskims so new work would be a bonus.
site work is all about the speed, staples are fast but can be a bit hit and miss on board and not hold back as tight as tape.
To be widely used on new builds it would need to be accepted as suitable method of fixing by the bead manufacturers, NHBC etc.
Catnic for instance have recommended the use of staples for 25+ years. Even staples or clout nails are supposed to be at 400mm (I think that's right), image using this tape at that rate.

To be widely used on new builds it would need to be accepted as suitable method of fixing by the bead manufacturers, NHBC etc.
Catnic for instance have recommended the use of staples for 25+ years. Even staples or clout nails are supposed to be at 400mm (I think that's right), image using this tape at that rate.
It will be.
Staples have NEVER been recommended by any manufacturer.
Recommended fixing is galv or stainless nails or plaster dabs @600mm centres. (british standard)
my tape is also recommended at 600 centres and will become BS approved.

Last edited:
It will be.
Recommended fixing is galv or stainless nails or plaster dabs @600mm centres. (british standard)
You're wrong, as I said before Catnic have recommended staples for 25+ years. This was clear as day on their website and their printed brochure.

It will be.
So for a standard window at roughly 2.4 by 2.4 you're going to need 30 bits of tape. You said 150mm a strip I think so that 4.5meters of tape. Assuming around 30meters on a roll? So you can do 6 windows for your £8 roll?

So for a standard window at roughly 2.4 by 2.4 you're going to need 30 bits of tape. You said 150mm a strip I think so that 4.5meters of tape. Assuming around 30meters on a roll? So you can do 6 windows for your £8 roll?
You have standard windows floor to ceiling in your house?

On a STANDARD window 1300x2000 you would use 3 per side 4 across the head so ten. 14 if doing cill.
And you will not be getting my tape for £8?

On a STANDARD window 1300x2000 you would use 3 per side 4 across the head so ten. 14 if doing cill.
And you will not be getting my tape for £8?
But you said it worked better with the tape put straight up the edge of the bead rather than wrapped over and cutting abit off the corner? So that would be 20 bits, 28 with the cill?
How much is it going to be?!

But you said it worked better with the tape put straight up the edge of the bead rather than wrapped over and cutting abit off the corner? So that would be 20 bits, 28 with the cill?
How much is it going to be?!
If you go with the bead you cut one strip in half, choice is yours.

I will get in touch with my technical department and let you know
20201219_171932.png

View attachment 56795
View attachment 56794
View attachment 56793
View attachment 56792
I'm stating the obvious with this review, and already knew what was going to happen but to help tapit out this was my verdict,

Winged/mesh beads are used on lots of my work that include ewi and carrier board so it's a nonstarter as the fitting process needs to be done with render,
Every stop abutment on a render system needs a stop/ bell cast bead the obvious issue is that you can only apply the tape to the one and only fixing point of the bead meaning it will just flap around these beads need fixing with an adhesive or mechanically fixing to be held in situ,

This brings us to angle spine beads used on render only systems brick and block construction the problem on this type of construction external window reveals are generally no more than 50 ml in most cases less, I have to trim the internal corner meaning there isn't enough room for a fixing point for the tape inside the reveal so can only be fixed on the outer edge meaning flappy beads again,

Most brick and blockwork is sloppy and beading requires bedding out to create plumb and level lines and allowing one bead edge to meet the other the only way this can be achieved with the tape is to use Packers which would be completely insane for obvious reasons,
An 8-ft stop bead for instance apply your adhesive bed your bead if it's out a bit put your level on tap it into place 2 seconds,
With the tape it becomes right ball ache if it's out having to to peel the tape off and move the bead and start again,
The tapes addition performance on old brick and new blockwork was very poor or non-existent,
View attachment 56791
That all said I'm not saying that isn't a market for it internally as a general construction tape,
I'm sorry it's a s*** review but it's my honest opinion, I genuinely do wish you all the best with it tapit and hope it works out for you.View attachment 56796

Well done for taking the time and putting that lot together!

That 17sec clip, 3rd one down looks like it's sticking to your hand more than the wall.

Well done for taking the time and putting that lot together!

That 17sec clip, 3rd one down looks like it's sticking to your hand more than the wall.
No adhesive tape would stick to a saturated wall, it was pointless really.

Last edited: