taping and jointing

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

berbie38

hi guys wonder if you lads could help, i have a small tape and jointing job to do for a mate tomorrow which i have never done before i have had a read up and get the general idea but still not quite sure about the external corners.should i use jointing tape with metal inside or i have heard you can use thin coat bead. do i use different types of compound for under the tape than above any info would be appreciated???

Use thincoat bead. The metal tape has no strength. Use Fast Set or Easifill for the 1st coat. Easifill can be used as a finish too. Would be easier for you to use Easifill for the lot. It's dearer than Fast Set but because it is lightweight it goes further. It's easy to sand too. You can use mesh for your flat joints, and paper tape for the internal corners.

1st coat joint fller or easyfill then two coats joint cement use a bead and keep all coats tight otherwise when sanding it will kill you and you can go with what tony says which thinking about is what im saying

TonyM said:
Use thincoat bead. The metal tape has no strength. Use Fast Set or Easifill for the 1st coat. Easifill can be used as a finish too. Would be easier for you to use Easifill for the lot. It's dearer than Fast Set but because it is lightweight it goes further. It's easy to sand too. You can use mesh for your flat joints, and paper tape for the internal corners.

i was just browsing wen i seen this post and thought ad coment ,lol i have been ames taping for 10 years now , first ov all with hand to perfect the use of it then machine taping last 8 years , wen ames taping you use metal flex/corner tape , not the cheep stuff, british gypsum only as the rest is crap and the paper can come away from the metal ,there is enuf strength in it it, it has been developed for this and u can also use it for plastering , DO not use thin coat bead u will get a sharper corner with flex tape , easi fill i would only use for touching walls that have been painted as fast set does not stik to paint unless pvad , easi fill is creamier and takes longer to set,easier to sand etc .... but it sets softer and shrinks,as for sanding as long as u do not leave high lines and smooth the joints in to the board u should not be doin much sanding on it as ur final coat is ur touch up polishing coat , 2 coats fast set 1 joint cement or 1 fast set 2 joint cement

1andyh26 said:
i was just browsing wen i seen this post and thought ad coment ,lol i have been ames taping for 10 years now , first ov all with hand to perfect the use of it then machine taping last 8 years , wen ames taping you use metal flex/corner tape , not the cheep stuff, british gypsum only as the rest is crap and the paper can come away from the metal ,there is enuf strength in it it, it has been developed for this and u can also use it for plastering , DO not use thin coat bead u will get a sharper corner with flex tape , easi fill i would only use for touching walls that have been painted as fast set does not stik to paint unless pvad , easi fill is creamier and takes longer to set,easier to sand etc .... but it sets softer and shrinks,as for sanding as long as u do not leave high lines and smooth the joints in to the board u should not be doin much sanding on it as ur final coat is ur touch up polishing coat , 2 coats fast set 1 joint cement or 1 fast set 2 joint cement

Wow! Thanks for that Andy. I've only been taping for twice as long as you, so obviously i've been doing it incorrectly all this time. When I do use flex tape, I only use BG but in my opinion it is still crap as the paper fluffs up too easily. Tape on beads are great to use as they have a wax coating on the edge which prevents breakdown of the paper, but the cost of these, at 70-80 pence per metre is cost prohibitive on all but the best paying jobs. I prefer a slightly rounded corner obtained with thincoat bead, and if the plasterboarding is rough, then a bead will straighten a corner better than a tape. I agree that Easifill is a softer product than Joint Filler, but if you happen to sand past the cement, at least you won't get a 'hard edge' due to the coarser nature of the fast set; which I imagine would be the case when using a 2 coat filler, 1 coat cement system. I take it you have yet to use the 45 and 20 minute Easifills. The 20 minute is as hard as joint filler, and I have never had a problem with shrinkage with any of it.

TonyM said:
1andyh26 said:

Wow! Thanks for that Andy. I've only been taping for twice as long as you, so obviously i've been doing it incorrectly all this time. When I do use flex tape, I only use BG but in my opinion it is still crap as the paper fluffs up too easily. Tape on beads are great to use as they have a wax coating on the edge which prevents breakdown of the paper, but the cost of these, at 70-80 pence per metre is cost prohibitive on all but the best paying jobs. I prefer a slightly rounded corner obtained with thincoat bead, and if the plasterboarding is rough, then a bead will straighten a corner better than a tape. I agree that Easifill is a softer product than Joint Filler, but if you happen to sand past the cement, at least you won't get a 'hard edge' due to the coarser nature of the fast set; which I imagine would be the case when using a 2 coat filler, 1 coat cement system. I take it you have yet to use the 45 and 20 minute Easifills. The 20 minute is as hard as joint filler, and I have never had a problem with shrinkage with any of it.

lol , ur talking about the bg tape fluffing out wen used with plaster ?
tape on beads ? with the wax coating?

every one will have there own opinion on the shape of corners etc mate i just prefer a sharper edge than the slightly curved that beads gve u , i have never had a prob with hard edges with fast set usin the 2 f set 1 cement method as my fast set is always flushed into the p board and gets a light rub with a sander just to take any snibs etc off and gve u a smoother surface to work on top of etc , i have used the easifill 45 and the other wan thats sets longer a gd fyew times and have always told em to get the real stuff in as i do not rate it atol, fast set is reliable sets in not to bad a time ,very little shrinkage if mixed rite and sands down fine

being in the game as long as u then ud have tried lafarge , knauf fillers? lmao wow s**t s**t s**t !!!! then the knauf kid on flex tape another wow wtf lol

so do use beads wen taping houses tony ? the original post was a guy wantin info on ames taping and what to use on the corners and uv stated thin coat beads ?

I use thincoat bead for housing and commercial work. I've never used tape with skim. I agree Knauf jointing products are not as good as BG in that they are coarser materials, so the finish will never be as smooth. I used lafarge for a while as it was cheaper, but went back to BG. Lafarge make tape-on beads, as do USG. They leave a great job. They are preformed to 90 degrees. See here.
http://pbuk.edifixio.fr/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLd4o3DPIFSZnFO8cbmYfoR6KJGZuiCRnEOyJEgvS99X098nNT9QP0C3JDQyPKHRUBz8eSyA!!/delta/base64xml/L0lDU0lKQ1RPN29na21BISEvb0VvUUFBSVFnakZJQUFRaENFSVFqR0VBLzRKRmlDbzBlaDFpY29uUVZHaGQtc0lRIS83X0JfMzU1LzE!?WCM_GLOBAL_CONTEXT=/Plasterboard+UK/Products/GTEC+Finish/Beads+and+Sealers/GTEC+Corner+90+External

and here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sADeniYVIFk

The downside. £85 +vat for 50 lengths

they make it look so simple but not convinced , av always liked the idea of the roller but is it going to straighten the corners wen u sometimes need to pull em out that wee bit to straighten em? as for u always using beads i have never herd of this and i work and got taught aff me old man who is now 62 and still taping and full a nolege on this and plastering , mibi its a english thing? iv lost count of the amount a private houses iv taped ,hotels,schools ,lodges hospitals etc on price/tenderd for and have never came across this . only time u see it up here is with plastering .a was looking at a fyew american ames taping schools on you tube and i was like wtf!!!!! lol am not in to taping knives and there daft pots for holding there material , usualy they come up with the ideas first but wow ad love to see these guys taping or trying to tape 2 4 bed houses in 7 days to a high standard !! lol a think al stik to the hawk trowel and me machine with mibi the added benefit of there corner bit for my 10" taping box and posibly the flex tape roller worth a bash tae, lol

its too intresting mate

'you learn somting new every day' i just did. wana get in to taping and jointing mydself

lol aye mate gd idea especially with the schools and s**t they building the now , then ya can make some serious muney if yar any gd

it's still crap compares to a plaster finish you bunch of losers :p

a didnt say it was better than a plaster finish !!! u disleksik ? its cheaper !

a do plastering tae ya fudddddddddddddd !

its not ma fault a leave smooth walls regardless pal a just cant help the talent a was gvin but mibi wen u reach 55 yil get better !! and be able to read !!!!

its a bad day wen fellow trowel trades take a grudge for no aparent reason !!!!

And so we get back to the plastering versus the tapers scenario. I would agree that the taped finish isn't a patch on the plastered skim finish when carried out by a good spread, and it always comes down to the points of durability, and when light is reflected along the surface, you can see the different textures of the taped joint and the paper finish of the board (known as flashing). Drywall manufacturers have developed hi-build primer-sealers, and sprayable skim coats that have eliminated this 'problem' but that all adds to the square metre price. I make a good living out of drylining, but in my house, would have plaster skim every time.

Andy - The corner roller for flex is a good tool, esp for the tape-on beads. Just remember it will follow the boarding, so pray for good fixers. As for the mud pans, I certainly couldn't use one.

TonyM said:
And so we get back to the plastering versus the tapers scenario. I would agree that the taped finish isn't a patch on the plastered skim finish when carried out by a good spread, and it always comes down to the points of durability, and when light is reflected along the surface, you can see the different textures of the taped joint and the paper finish of the board (known as flashing). Drywall manufacturers have developed hi-build primer-sealers, and sprayable skim coats that have eliminated this 'problem' but that all adds to the square metre price. I make a good living out of drylining, but in my house, would have plaster skim every time.

Andy - The corner roller for flex is a good tool, esp for the tape-on beads. Just remember it will follow the boarding, so pray for good fixers. As for the mud pans, I certainly couldn't use one.

good points tony , i agree with plaster is better job , i have plasterd all my house insted of re sheetin and tapin as its garder wearing

have u tried the roller? thats wat i was wundering as it looks like it will just press it right to the board and not shape and bits needed

they should but there mud pans in da bin there walkin about like robo cop with all these things attached to em , f**k trying to nok houses out with all that hanging on ya

I had the roller for a while, it did a good job, but I sold it because of using metal bead all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.