subject for jimfish... seriously..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris W

now then jim, the old whatsitmajigger...

ive just been working with an italian spread, 30 odd years in the trade, 20 of them on newbuild banging 100 metres a day on...

guess what he uses, and it aint a 'hawk'??

big 22" trowel, cant buy em over here apparently...

its just a carbon steel trowel, 22x5 with like a d shaped handle on the back, uses 2 hands....

loads the trowel straight out the bucket, wipes it from the floor to the ceiling (or near enough), gets two sweeps out of it, then just graps a bit off the wall and fills the top in...

gets a wall on quicker than i can....

then just trowels up with a 9" trowel...

probably a pain on ceilings which is why i did all the ceilings for him....

worked though...

Chris W said:
now then jim, the old whatsitmajigger...

ive just been working with an italian spread, 30 odd years in the trade, 20 of them on newbuild banging 100 metres a day on...

guess what he uses, and it aint a 'hawk'??

big 22" trowel, cant buy em over here apparently...

its just a carbon steel trowel, 22x5 with like a d shaped handle on the back, uses 2 hands....

loads the trowel straight out the bucket, wipes it from the floor to the ceiling (or near enough), gets two sweeps out of it, then just graps a bit off the wall and fills the top in...

gets a wall on quicker than i can....

then just trowels up with a 9" trowel...

probably a pain on ceilings which is why i did all the ceilings for him....

worked though...
i use a 20 inch carbon steal trowel for floating and a big fck off hand board

is it pretty flexi though wiganlad? my mates is dead rigid... bit like a flooring trowel... with that d handle thing...
its the idea of loading it right up till its proper full and just wiping it from the skirting line right up, then again...
i normally wouldnt load my trowel up that much..

just seemed a funny way of doing it but it went on nice and flat and in quick time too....

he reckons the germans used to do it same way too...

i mix up in a bath with a shovel. then use the shovel to through it at the wall. and then use the bottom of the bath to rule it when its empty.

Chris W said:
hang on a mo, this wasnt hardwall or render, this was finish...

Oh yeah with finish I put it on with a fire hose and flatten it with a tent full of zombie squirels

im starting to think the 'on plastering' should be removed from the 'general discussions' title ;D

in all seriousness, this is the first time ive ever seen any one do that.. (well ive seen this bloke do it before a while back but no one else)..

and it got me thinking about jim and his sparrowtrowel....

and the fact that he reckons you cant buy em over here....

ive asked him to get me one next time he's in italy, i just fancied a go... seems to work alright for him...

so how does he load the trowel exactly? theres a video on youtube where the bloke uses his hawk as a trowel when hes doing hardwall.

just uses a bucket trowel out the bucket, no spot but because its a huge great trowel and he loads it right up and uses two hands it seems quicker... fills the top in with the last bit on the trowel..
he gets prolly 3 times the plaster on his than i get on my 14".
prolly a good hawkfull....
next time im with him im gonna take a little 1m vid of him...

whens the next time your working with him? i cant handle the suspense! is it a large normal trowel or curved edges like a pool trowel?

ordered one of jims bucket trowels . been taking the muck out of a gorrila tub but changed back to the spot .if his thing s anygood i will stick with the bucket i reckon

steve cov said:
whens the next time your working with him? i cant handle the suspense! is it a large normal trowel or curved edges like a pool trowel?
if you can imagine the poly derby's yes?
thats the handle set up but its wooden, the blade is carbon steel with square edges like a finish trowel...
the magnesium floats have a d handle but its offset, his is centralised and prolly 2" in from either end...
pretty stiff blade like a concrete trowel - the ones with the pointy end..
ive just been trying to find one and i cant find anything like it, only what ive described above...

chris i reckon they have them where i get my gear from it s tw wholesale of swadlincote ,sure i picked one up the other day and it was nt much .not sure if there website is up and running yet but they are doing one

Chris W said:
steve cov said:
if you can imagine the poly derby's yes?
thats the handle set up but its wooden, the blade is carbon steel with square edges like a finish trowel...
the magnesium floats have a d handle but its offset, his is centralised and prolly 2" in from either end...
pretty stiff blade like a concrete trowel - the ones with the pointy end..
ive just been trying to find one and i cant find anything like it, only what ive described above...
Is it something like this swiss style trowel about 3/4 way down page
http://www.handwerker3000.org/Hand-Tools/Spatula-Trowels-SCHWAN-other:::22_28.html

call me old fashioned but i use a 13" trowel with a handboard an work off a spot an stand i think im going wrong somewher :p

napper83 said:
call me old fashioned but i use a 13" trowel with a handboard an work off a spot an stand i think im going wrong somewher :p
thats what i use a 13 inch m t trowel and spot and stand its the only way mat lol

Chris W said:
is it pretty flexi though wiganlad? my mates is dead rigid... bit like a flooring trowel... with that d handle thing...
its the idea of loading it right up till its proper full and just wiping it from the skirting line right up, then again...
i normally wouldnt load my trowel up that much..

just seemed a funny way of doing it but it went on nice and flat and in quick time too....

he reckons the germans used to do it same way too...
Hello chris are the edges rounded also does it empty the lot out the bucket and what size buckets do they use 22inch x5 inch thats a big trowel i wonder what health issues would occur useing that over long periods of time also like you said no good for ceilings because its to big there would be waste all over the place see the plastering tool is comfortable to use its easy on the joints you aint lifting massive amounts and stand there holding a hawk full in one hand as you know yourself with time all plasterers suffer with joint and ligament and muscle damage which is due to lifting bending and stretching constantly see i also looked at the health and safety side of it aswell when i invented the plastering tool its comfortable to use no heavy lifting thus in time no muscle or joint injuries so on that note i will be sticking with me tro**hawk but thanks for the post very interesting topic regards jimfish lets start a post on the health issues long term what plasterers suffer from and what we could do to try and prevent it or ease the stress of long term damage.

pftmonojetman said:
Is it something like this swiss style trowel about 3/4 way down page
http://www.handwerker3000.org/Hand-Tools/Spatula-Trowels-SCHWAN-other:::22_28.html

thats the kiddy, nice one boys ;D

jim, i wasnt critising the trowel hawk, what i was doing was making a comparison between the two ideas...

he uses a gorilla tub and a standard bucket trowel to load this trowel directly, no hawk involved and seeing as he uses two hands on it, less strain on the wrist..

looks like the opportunity to import em and make yourself a few quid has been taken away though...

personally i like the idea, he achieves the same standard of finish as me with half the effort and gets more on in a day.. gonna be different on the lids though, or an overskim - gonna want 2 coats, but they always do, and anyway, theres more money in the overskims.... more of a newbuild tool i reckon..

spunky, he just one coats everything mate, nice and thick but cos he gets it on real quick, hes back trowelling it up before its had a chance to cause him any grief... biggish sets too... hence the 100m a day, 3 sets, setting time being quicker using one coat..
he'll sort of 'top it off' using the splodge you get at the skirting line 1st trowel, nowt wrong with his finish..

spunky said:
seggs how many of them were doing 100m and what were they doing mate?
all newbuild mate, wouldnt make that on a reskim including all the prep...
100m + per bloke, nothing too heavy.... reckons his record is 200m per man per day... long runs though..

im so used to domestic, when i come to a newbuild im slow as f'ck ;D took me 2 days to get back up to speed...

Status
Not open for further replies.