Spray finish down at BG

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
when spraying mono i dont think iv spent more than about £5 a day. mp75, £5-10 max. hardwall about £5. you normally only spray for a couple of hours a day with these. and i agree with mcplaster, cant see the point in the 110. i dont think there are many situations where you will be able to run off a site genny.

Is there much masking prep needed with over spray as in do you have to cover up windows and doors? Say with an average living room or big bedroom would you mask up then spray the whole room including ceiling in one go or even two rooms? Clean machine, flatten off etc?

Sorry I missed these posts earlier.
Nice one Andy for the detailed explanation....could be a nice alternative to dry lined big areas on site. Those s*p*r*lex on poles for big ceilings?

Is it not suited to backing plasters just board? Hardwall & set all off the machine would be nice.

What sort of returns do people investing in the kit expect from the system? Spraying thin coat systems as well would lessen the impact of 5 - 6k.

They've said that is not suitable on any background with "much" suction, such as Hardwall or Bonding. And I see why, with the texture of it when sprayed on the wall it could/would be a mare trying to get it flattened back down. Apparently they've got some guys testing it out on CPI which with it's low suction should be perfect to accept it. It would be well suited to a drylined house for sure, and we all know there are more and more of those.
When it comes to returns on the investment I'm not sure as some of the areas quoted for a gang don't really impress me (which I'm sure they're supposed to) compared with a quick gang hand applying. I was initially very sceptical about spraying finish but having had a go I'm more thinking how it could both take a little bit of the physical side out of the job but also make my son productive from day one.

Andy/currier was it one coatspray after filling joints etc ? Currier did you use the sponge on yours?

It's sort of a cross between one coat and two coat mate, you first put a spray over an area in a horizontal motion and then go straight over it in a vertical movement (cross hatch), this to make sure you get an even covering, a little like when you use Tyrolean coming from different angles.

When they say not suitable for hwall etc do they just mean machine applied could you still hand apply and get a guarantee

When they say not suitable for hwall etc do they just mean machine applied could you still hand apply and get a guarantee

To be honest Dave I didn't ask, it really does have a texture like the old Carlite finish which was great on high suction wasn't it. I thick Steve that went down to BG the day after me said his dad had been hand applying some but I don't know what onto.

im putting it on to some hardwall that we did yesterday tomorrow to see, so will let you all know what its like

It's not that it's the board finish multi finish thing if it's not suitable it's pointless you wont be able to use it on site, they still need to offer the guarantee

your supposed to skim hardwall with standard multi same day but tons of it gets left till whenever and gets a lick of pva so i cant see a problem on thatscore unless the put DO NOT USE ON GYPSUM BACKING PLASTERS on the bag...
what worries me is the 'doesnt like a lot of suction but its fine for overskimming'? dont get that at all... not even a little bit?

true... i bet the 2 week coursers go mad for it though... just imagine being able to skim a 20m set in ONE HIT!!!! couple of coats of pva, bit of spray finish... bobs yer uncle :)

your supposed to skim hardwall with standard multi same day but tons of it gets left till whenever and gets a lick of pva so i cant see a problem on thatscore unless the put DO NOT USE ON GYPSUM BACKING PLASTERS on the bag...
what worries me is the 'doesnt like a lot of suction but its fine for overskimming'? dont get that at all... not even a little bit?
i skimmed over a wall andy had sprayed the day before, it was bone dry but the coast i did seemed not to hardly draw in any quicker.

Also this stuf needs 14.5 ltrs of water a bag i think i read some where so in theory it should stay wetter for longer.

As i said ill see tomorrow on a unpva'd hardwall celcon wall. Should be proper high suction!

dries quick too then? was andys wall pink all over?
what im thinking, based on what youve just put... its the equivalent of pvaing, then using multi? timewise... as in it supplies a steady flow of water for the substrate to suck in so it might, (depending on the age of the wall and its backing coat) save you the pva?
worth the extra hassle of sourcing (and paying) for the product?
prolly find youll need to wet the hardwall down first anyway

something i havent seen mentioned.... how hard is the finish when its dry? by that i mean compare multi finish to one coat.... multi is a lot harder - less water, no sponging etc.... this stuffs more water than owt else innit?

true... i bet the 2 week coursers go mad for it though... just imagine being able to skim a 20m set in ONE HIT!!!! couple of coats of pva, bit of spray finish... bobs yer uncle :)

nah coursers would be crying with this stuff its so different to multi, the only reason we did it ok was coz we listen to joe and my old man has been mixing multi with knauf finish for the past year and this gear seems to be similar to that concoction

doesnt knauf finish have more retarder in it so it sort of grins at you for ages then goes off all at once? have you been mixing the two to get more time per set then?

doesnt knauf finish have more retarder in it so it sort of grins at you for ages then goes off all at once? have you been mixing the two to get more time per set then?

This stuff does remain workable a fair bit longer than multi but doesn't just flash set on you, it's a really progressive set and if you've left it a bit to long (as I did on purpose) it still comes back ok.

dries quick too then? was andys wall pink all over?
what im thinking, based on what youve just put... its the equivalent of pvaing, then using multi? timewise... as in it supplies a steady flow of water for the substrate to suck in so it might, (depending on the age of the wall and its backing coat) save you the pva?
worth the extra hassle of sourcing (and paying) for the product?
prolly find youll need to wet the hardwall down first anyway

something i havent seen mentioned.... how hard is the finish when its dry? by that i mean compare multi finish to one coat.... multi is a lot harder - less water, no sponging etc.... this stuffs more water than owt else innit?

Chris have you tried Thistle Durafinish for over skimming? According to the BG blurb it has good adhesive quailities and can be used on existing "sound wall surfaces"

Durafinish is mined at the same site and uses a similar formula according to Joe from BG.

It did seem to dry quick, the sheet that we took home was dry next morning same as the stuff andy had done before. It dry a very lite grey so I can see where BG is coming from when they say it's easier to paint.

I'm think we can tell anyone that says tape and jointing is better coz it can be decorated soon to stop talking like a fool soon :)

Durafinish is mined at the same site and uses a similar formula according to Joe from BG.

It did seem to dry quick, the sheet that we took home was dry next morning same as the stuff andy had done before. It dry a very lite grey so I can see where BG is coming from when they say it's easier to paint.

I'm think we can tell anyone that says tape and jointing is better coz it can be decorated soon to stop talking like a fool soon :)

Any decisions made on the machine yet Steve? Good luck skimming over that Hardwall tomorrow it's going to be fooking dry.

Chris have you tried Thistle Durafinish for over skimming? According to the BG blurb it has good adhesive quailities and can be used on existing "sound wall surfaces"
nah mate, i heard a good while back that it was a beatch to trowel up or words to that effect, but you know, just different gear i suppose, once you get used to it etc...
So what theyve made then, is a really fine, progressive long setting, rock hard finish plaster you can stick through a machine or hand apply? and durafinish is similar just without the long set?

when you say it came back ok andy, did you have to wet it back up a bit or just lick the edge and lean on it a bit harder? thats the difference between boardy and multi really innit, multi will tend to come back... not so much board finish...

i can sort of see where theyre comin from with the spat idea... the bigger the trowel, the wetter the gear needs to be cos the pressure applied is less because of the surface area of the trowel...

suppose ill have to get a bag and have a crack... its sort of reminding me of trying to use long set one coat for skimming last chrimbo... took a bit of getting used to but once you get the idea its a piece of cake...

im thinking 'one room, one set' overskims... anything that makes the job easier and quicker helps keep you competitive... (or just make you richer :RpS_biggrin:) also thinking back to me italian mate who lays on with a swiss trowel, loads it straight off the board or out the bucket - no handboard (sorry, hawk for the southerners) and by god, is he fast... soon as the labourers finished mixing - send him round with a spat, and you just follow him round with the trowel (probably a plastic one)... finish it with a stainless... 3 hours, room done... possible? without a machine?

i did think about using the long setting one coat in a similar way (you just need plenty of water and a good sponge) but as pointed out at the time.... its soft as sh't when its dry....

anyway.. enough of my procrastination... im off to cut some worktops today... :RpS_laugh:

I was deliberately leaving bits rougher and longer than recommended at every stage just to see how well it would cope with any mishaps or problems. And when I needed to get both lines and pimples out at a pretty late stage I just laid by water brush on the wall just as I would with either Multi or Boardfinish and it came back enough to get acceptable finish even on those areas that needed extra attention.
From what I've read and been told down at BG, Durafinish works very differently and you need to get on it and get it to a better standard earlier than other finishes and it is more "gummy" to use.

Durafinish is a mare to use at first we did a prison with hardwall and durafinish, when you skim your backing even the same day to sucks like a tw&t you have to gyprime the backing first , but you can overskim existing plaster and concrete alrught

This spray finish on to hardwall with out sealing is a no go :RpS_thumbdn:

Sucked same as with finish. Did one wall straight on to dryed hardwall and it was no good, so wet one first and still no good.

So its not like carlite then :RpS_thumbdn:

Henry - we can get Travis to get a pallet in at 5.75 a bag and they are not stocking it yet in the yard so its a special order.

Chris W - Yer think of this gear as 1 room 1 big hit. You will be doing 2 big hits a day instead of the 3 you would need to do to cover the same meterage, but wont be rushing around sweating your bollox off. We are thinking we a team of 3 spreads we will be able to spray on and off till about 1 pm with two following behind trowling up. Its that easy with the spats and the stuff is so slow to go off.

We will find out when our Ritmo arrives which will be a 110V by the way Andy.

What is the price of the spray plaster per bag.

I think the guy down at BG said it would be about £5.40 a bag, but that's full price before any discounts that the merchants may offer.

This spray finish on to hardwall with out sealing is a no go :RpS_thumbdn:

Sucked same as with finish. Did one wall straight on to dryed hardwall and it was no good, so wet one first and still no good.

So its not like carlite then :RpS_thumbdn:

Henry - we can get Travis to get a pallet in at 5.75 a bag and they are not stocking it yet in the yard so its a special order.

Chris W - Yer think of this gear as 1 room 1 big hit. You will be doing 2 big hits a day instead of the 3 you would need to do to cover the same meterage, but wont be rushing around sweating your bollox off. We are thinking we a team of 3 spreads we will be able to spray on and off till about 1 pm with two following behind trowling up. Its that easy with the spats and the stuff is so slow to go off.

We will find out when our Ritmo arrives which will be a 110V by the way Andy.

I'm not surprised Steve even the old Carlite Finish would have sucked in like a ******* on Browning or Hardwall that had been left from Saturday until Monday.
I think you're right about the two big hits a day possibly even one really big one in the winter.
So you've ordered the Ritmo already? I reckon that the 110v is the right one to have.

Not order quite yet, funds in place just sorting out final details

£9400 for the whole package

It better be good!

Because were ruled by Bureaucrats who know jack s**t

really? where u hear that?

and why?? when u can use 3phase? its so stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.