Stilts

Members online

leicesterjester

thinking of getting some stilts for some big ceilings I have coming up. I have never used any so are they as easy as they look? And what's the best ones to get value for money. Got about 3 weeks of high ceilings to do 3 metres to 3 and half would stilts be high enough?

Any recommendations and tips on using them welcome

24-40s go up high enough for 10foot /3m ceilings of ur around average height, 3.5 would be a. Stretch. I've the 18-30s and they are high enough for me. Can't get the nerve for the higher ones

I’ve got all sizes but hate going off the top turnbuckle. Better off with a double width rolling tower scaff if you’ve got a labourer with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No wind up, don't know what heights you can work off with them. Know nothing about them just trying to open options up to make life a bit easier

You’d want to be an experienced stilt user to go that high.I’ve two sets and still takes a bit of nerve to use the higher ones.My advice is don’t.

thinking of getting some stilts for some big ceilings I have coming up. I have never used any so are they as easy as they look? And what's the best ones to get value for money. Got about 3 weeks of high ceilings to do 3 metres to 3 and half would stilts be high enough?

Any recommendations and tips on using them welcome

Got some sur-pro 24-40. Pricey but nice.
I'm 5'9" and these are perfect from 2.4m up to 3m.
3.5m is a shitty size as it's the bottom end of big stilts (48") which means they wouldn't be any good for your 3m.

Advice:
For 3m height, you need a high spot to sit and put them on. Don't try jumping up on them like some show off youtuber.
Pick your feet up higher than normal when walking. Feels weird but you really don't want to be scuffing the stilts across the ground.
Don't walk backwards. And never walk backwards. Or backwards.
Clear everything to the edge of the room (or preferably out). No extension leads.

Bigger the room, the scarier it is. Practise around house on lowest setting for a while and read the instructions to get them adjusted and comfortable. Hallway is a good starting point, plenty to grab on to.
Once you can walk OK, practise with a dry hawk and trowel 'shadow-skimming' your hallway.
Scrim-up a few jobs on them first as scrimming means you are always touching a surface so it gives you a bit of support.
If you don't have one, get a labourer for first few jobs with a spare hawk for fast loading. Doing it one-man is fine but it's just more sh1t to think about when you really don't need it.

It's just so nice to do ceilings without hopping up-down or balancing on some crappy scaffold board.
Also handy for painting, one rollers, stilt man cuts in.

Never used stilts...jumping up full height..... f**k it only live once may as well end it then. Get marshalltown ones there half decent.

Get a tall hop up of ebay 42 quid

I always used hop-ups but knackered my legs falling off a ladder, for anything more than an 8ft ceiling it's just too much stepping up. Unfortunately I mainly do refurbs so there's very few 8ft ceilings.
I still find stilts a lot easier/faster than when I used hop-ups etc

Reach 3m ceilings off my Skywalker 18-30
But I am a tall f**ker!

Attachments

• B99EC4D2-BEF4-49D6-85EA-7D00A7C343D7.png
    B99EC4D2-BEF4-49D6-85EA-7D00A7C343D7.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 408

Attachments

• 20161221_140401.jpg
    20161221_140401.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 244
  • 20170131_131551.jpg
    20170131_131551.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 307
  • 20170130_100325.jpg
    20170130_100325.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 263
  • 20161221_123044.jpg
    20161221_123044.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 259
I sometimes duct tape 2 squares of celotex to my boots if ceiling is 2.5m that's as close to stilts as I get

they are fine on highest setting one step and your halfway across the room most i can reach is 3m and iam 5.9 and thats the biggest you can get here you can get bigger ones from usa

When i tried em I was fine until I.tried to put a stroke on then it became a pat ue head rub ye belly situation