startin out help

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott

been trying to get help in the form of a low intrest loan but its like tryin to blood out of a stone ive got to write a 25 page buisness plan and get 50 people to fill a plastering questionaire for market research a think its to put you off but the only thing that pisses me off is that a prob wnt get started in business untill the new year when every 1 is skint not a gud time :'(

ive just started out to .. been plastering for a few years now but got made redundant from last job so decided to do it full time .... didn,t need to borrow any money though got a bit of redundancy . just waiting for the phone to ring now ::)

timmo72 said:
ive just started out to .. been plastering for a few years now but got made redundant from last job so decided to do it full time .... didn,t need to borrow any money though got a bit of redundancy . just waiting for the phone to ring now ::)

Im in the same boat as you mate, redundant. Got it all, tools, van, but that dont make the phone ring does it ::)

A few months, just been doing bits and bobs due to baby daughter being born. But going to have to have a big advertising blitz after Xmas.

1st day today ,,, doing a bathroom for a neighbour .. got a bedroom to do next week . and 6 ceilings lined up for january so fingers crossed . pick me van up tmrw ;D

how much you want to borrow and how you were going to invest it .......also how much work you plan on having coming in .........

spunkybum said:
how much you want to borrow and how you were going to invest it .......also how much work you plan on having coming in .........
i wanna borrow 3grand for tools and a van i have 4 jobs comin in.................maybee 5 countin piss takers

turn them inside out .......get youre middle finger on the outer bit and pull the lid over with youre thumb ;)
have you got an overdraft scott ? you might be able to get 1-2 grand that way also mate theres also the dreaded credit card you can get 0% on and keep swapping them over ......

never had a credit card and dnt want 1 and me overdraft limit is 50pound am also seein sum1 about a grant but am not relyin on them T***s to give me owt

ive got £2500 overdraft on my buissines account cost me £200 a year though
and £1500 over draft in the other account. think ill need in jan and feb ;D

i had a 3 grand loan to pay for tools, pretty sure i didnt spend it all on tools tho but im fully kitted out not, can get enough stuff to get you going for way less tho, just buy the tools you need as and when you need them, just make sure you have some cash aside so you can go and get what you need as you'll get it back from payments from jobs 8)

a dnt really need any tools cos av got every thing on lend from sum1 a know that gave it a go and packed in but ad prefer to have me own tools especially if aq can get a grant to get them

I started out with about £250 worth of tools...a 405 peugeot estate £200 and slowly built up don't need much to start out...choose your jobs carefully take on smaller reskims at first...marketing urself is the key u will get loads of work if you get that right...can be done cheaply also for example leaflet drops door to door.

a wouldnt bother with puttin leaflets throo doors the just get scrumpled up n binned am just gonna let every1 know by mouth that av finally arrived ;D

scott said:
a wouldnt bother with puttin leaflets throo doors the just get scrumpled up n binned am just gonna let every1 know by mouth that av finally arrived ;D

this has been discussed amongst the tilers on a different forum and the average success for calls from leaflet drops is about 1-2%.... so if you delivered 1,000 leaflets thats between 10 and 20 calls for quotes per 1000 leaflets delivered, 1,000 leaflets could easily be delivered in a day, beats being sat inside with nothing to do and could actually drum up some work, people have also said they had customers that have hung on to the leaflet and rang up for work 8-12 months later. i know the chances are that people will take 1 look and chuck them in the bin, but even if gets you 1 job, its still worth it 8)

but am not just gonna sit in the house am gonna get cards made and hand them out more chance of goin in the wallet an when they need a plasterer they can allways think oh av got a number on a card in me wallet

depends on quality of leaflet and where you drop them...first run i did 200 small flyers and got £7000 worth of work in 6 months from those alone. Not bad for 1 1/2 day design and print 1/2 day distribute. Cost of leaflets about £10 printed in high quality on home printer. Don't rely on word of mouth till you are firmly established could be couple of years or more of very hard work.

Not to say that you are not firmly established Scott just saying from my experience leaflet drops have been successful

well worth it freed!

someone else mentioned looking on www.rightmove.co.uk or somethign similar as you can see houses which have been sold within the last 6 months, then they put those addresses into a programmes like autoroute or whatever and it will work out the quickest route to all those places and they deliver leaflets/cards to their homws as chances are they have moved in and will want work doing to the house as theres bound to be somethintg they aren't happy with 8)

fair enough mate might give it a try just av allways binned leaflets but anything that will help is worth a try ;)

wow nice tip spoon...saw another one of yours recently think it was parking your van outside B&Q on a Sunday. ;D

up to you cheif really i know it seems such a waste as you know people will pick them up and thing whats this junk and throw it straight in the bin. just gotta remember than out of all them people there will be the odd few that will think ooh i need a plasterer. a couple of days after putting signs on my van a neighbour came over and asked me if i could tiler her conservatory, she didnt reralise i was a tiler also and was just on the lookout for a tiler, good timing 8) worked out well as shes recommended me to someone else too and they want me to tile theirs once its been built :)

FreeD said:
wow nice tip spoon...saw another one of yours recently think it was parking your van outside B&Q on a Sunday. ;D

yeha b&q, local supermarket etc fortunately/unfortunately for me i work at sainsburys on a saturday which jsut happens to be joint up with homebase, so my vans parked right outside all day long and ive been asked for busieness cards while i get out/into the van and the odd phone call 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.