Stapling beads

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanLime

I'm thinking of getting a staple gun for fixing skim beads.
Does anyone think it matters which type of of bead you using a stapler? Mesh or "normal" ?
Cheers
IanB

I never use mesh beads they bend to easy or if the walls are out they follow it too much, stapleguns takes a little while to get used to but you'll find the holes eventually, some beads are so cheap it doesnt matter if you hit the metal they still go through

most site spreads are using staple guns on skim beads this days i was shocked at 1st when i saw them doing it, but its quicker and cheaper way if your on a price. give it a go u will wonder y you ant thought about it b4

I was told that it's not a good idea to use staples because they're not galvanised (I haven't checked this claim yet). I've seen plasterers use all sorts of nails & I doubt they were all galvanised or non ferous. Do you think staples are more likely to rust through?

been using staples for over 10 years now and never had any problems apart from finding the hole (so to speak:RpS_sleep:)

I been stapling for years myself but the down sides to it are staplers tend to seize up alot i have personally gone through 3 in the last 5 years and staples aren't cheap well compared to just sticking them up that is and the other down side would be missing the hole when your on a roll it can drive you mental.

i put two marks on the front of the stapler with a fine marker pen then just line the marks up with the holes i dont miss many as for stapler get the stanley aluminium one bit dear but the boolox

5000 staples 10mm for £2.40 plus £2.50 p&p on ebay, last hell of alot longer then a box of screws or platerboard nails and cheaper

I use brad nails sometimes with a stapler I bought from b&q. I find it quickest to use gripfill on inside of bead, hold it in place with a couple of clouts.

I've beaded up several hundred houses over the last twenty years and have used staples on all of them and in my experience you are much better of using 12mm or 14mm staples rather than the 10's. In all those years I've never had one bead knocked of by another trade but I don't scrimp on the number of staples I fire in unlike some I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.