Staircase walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
steve cov said:
see, £600 and you could have bought a kettle and some teabags ;D

if you could price it again would you go in at the same amount?

To be honest, No!! I know it's still over £300 for a day and a half but it could/should have been 3 days!! I won't do another one at that price. All the customer (typical old wifey) done was moan about the mess and how i made her lift her carpet. Tell you what...i left a good job and never even got any appreciation for my non stop sweating chuffing effort!

told you mate. and next time price in a roll of packexe. that sticky plastic stuff on a roll. leave it down if they dont mind and tell them to leave it down while they paint. gets you in the good books aswell. then all you have to do is sweep it when your done

Lesson learned steve. I've seen that stuff used by builder before, it's probably the only practical thing you can use on stairs. The problem is, when lashing on the PVA over artex that's been painted with silk, it pours down the walls and ends up dripping off facing and skirtings and on to the floor. I did point that out to the old girl but i may as well have spoke to the wall. I gave up talking to her when i realised there was no Tea and biccies forthcoming ::)

As said £500 cash, 3 days (not killing yourself), £50 ish on materials, still £150 a day (£600 on a cheque) ;) may not be £40k a year but for a one man band thats not bad money ;D

if you're workin on domestics, you've gotta leave the house as clean as it was when you started. what are you putting the pva on with? a ladle? ;D

can you put pva on with a ladle ??? think I'll try it tomorrow, it'll frighten the fu-ck out of the arshole of a customer I'm working for ;D ;D

yeah you dont want pva going everywhere. remember your putting 2 coats on so you dont need that much per coat. especially on silk paint. alot of people wouldnt take the carpet up so its either the cheap option of dust sheets that keep moving and getting caught in your feet or £25 for a roll of that stuff. a mate told me you can get an applicator that makes it easier to put it up stairs aswell. havent used it myself though

I love my PVA! I never scrimp on it. Personally i've always used a rolller and an extension pole. Okay, when you scrape the stippled bits off the artex, you're left wth 2 different surfaces, raw artex and the silk paint. The PVA sticks to the raw stuff and slides off the paint so i just go to town and lash it on with my roller. ;D

I'll definitely look into getting the sticky polythene next time, steve......IF there is a next time. LOL ;D

You can get plastic backed no slip stairway dust sheets from the decorators merchants, they're quite good. They're also good to use if you pi5s the bed, so I've been told :-[ :-[

SLIPPY said:
Did you give the walls another coat of pva before you skimmed them today ?

I kew somebody would ask that. No, i didn't as the walls were very sticky when i started. Why do you ask? ???

Casper said:
SLIPPY said:
Did you give the walls another coat of pva before you skimmed them today ?

I kew somebody would ask that. No, i didn't as the walls were very sticky when i started. Why do you ask? ???

if its gloss and stays sticky for a long time you dont need to second coat them. its only when there is suction. first coat to stop the majority of it. then second coat for a key

Freerider_2009 said:
CKJ said:
Look lads lets have it right were just plasterers. You dont need much brains to be a plasterer just the ability to work hard, i have been doing this for 15 years now and some years ive made £30k to £35k but most years i have made £25k to £30k which i am more than happy with and i know i could never leave plastering and expect to earn as much. I really enjoy enjoy plastering and take alot of pride in my work. I start at 8am and finish at 3pm every day, i never have any complaints or call backs to put work right

most jobs dont take much brains ONCE you know how to do it, plastering is a skill you learn as going to uni and becoming an architect after 7 years is a different form or knowhow, why the hell arnt plasterers entitled to earn good money? why the (french word) would someone stick at a job that takes years to perfect to earn (french word) all if he can learn electrics or plumbing in a matter of months and earn fortunes.

It may not take intelligence to be ok at plastering but to be the best it takes someone who is switched on and intelligent, I could have gone through university as I went to a grammar school but I decided it wasn't my cup of tea and chose this route, yes thickos plaster but also a lot of people CHOOSE to be plasterers and if good enough, deserve to earn a decent wage! (which I say is aroudn the 40,000 mark).

here here!!! there are too many idiots working for next to nothing out there. Plastering is a skill very few can do properly

cross troweler said:
Freerider_2009 said:
CKJ said:
Look lads lets have it right were just plasterers. You dont need much brains to be a plasterer just the ability to work hard, i have been doing this for 15 years now and some years ive made £30k to £35k but most years i have made £25k to £30k which i am more than happy with and i know i could never leave plastering and expect to earn as much. I really enjoy enjoy plastering and take alot of pride in my work. I start at 8am and finish at 3pm every day, i never have any complaints or call backs to put work right

most jobs dont take much brains ONCE you know how to do it, plastering is a skill you learn as going to uni and becoming an architect after 7 years is a different form or knowhow, why the hell arnt plasterers entitled to earn good money? why the (french word) would someone stick at a job that takes years to perfect to earn (french word) all if he can learn electrics or plumbing in a matter of months and earn fortunes.

It may not take intelligence to be ok at plastering but to be the best it takes someone who is switched on and intelligent, I could have gone through university as I went to a grammar school but I decided it wasn't my cup of tea and chose this route, yes thickos plaster but also a lot of people CHOOSE to be plasterers and if good enough, deserve to earn a decent wage! (which I say is aroudn the 40,000 mark).

here here!!! there are too many idiots working for next to nothing out there. Plastering is a skill very few can do properly
your right it is a skill and i can do it properly

Status
Not open for further replies.