Spraying on rib lath

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelarse

Private Member
iv got a job im currently pricing

all the outside walls are being batoned and rib lathed to build the walls out a couple on inches to make a better margin for a dwarf wall running around the building

has anyone tried spraying sand and cement onto rib lath? does it stick or just spray through?

i think the batons are 400mm apart

thanks

whats building paper??

and why will it crack?

is it easier to just put on scratch coat by hand?

do u think it will need a fill out coat, scratch and then top?

I havent done any spray work but i have rendered on riblath and southern is right you will need building paper you can get it from most builders merchants just staple it on before you put the riblath on i havent had it crack well the only time it did was when we did it one straight on to ply i told the builder it will crack and they showed me the architects drawing and it was riblath straight onto ply when it did crack i told them to hack it off and redo it properly all they did was gun it over with a s/c terolean, bloody cowboys ;D

ok. whats the purpose of the paper?

i know its waterproof. is it to help too much gear falling through?

do u think 3 coats are needed?

cheers

Try it without the paper and you will see what the purpose of the paper is ! 3 coats if the rib lath is put up badly and 2 if done well

it'll still allow moisture through mate it creates an independant barrier away from the timber so itll allow for a bit of movement

dont use rib, use cement board, all you have to do is screw it to the battens, then mesh the joints, then over with an adhisive to bed the mesh in and then top coat straight on it, Rip always cracks like a spiders web.

I get the adhisive from les, ac850. you lay a thin coat of the ac850 and then push the mesh into it. leave it 24hours then put your mono or ocr on top of it, speak to les about it mate, we use knauf external cement board. you can cut it with a knife or hand saw. its about £22 a sheet 900x1800. tell him simps told you to use it. ;D

You can but you shouldnt :eek: They do a white base coat with fibres in for that and i cant remember what its called ;D

Take a look at rendalath or k-lath,has the paper already attached.

the paper creates a separation layer from the background ,and will definitely save you cash in material.

rib lath if done properly should not crack any more then any other lath,the trick is to tie wire each sheet between each and every stud or batten in this case,nailing every 4-6 inches vertically.

Rendalathe is pants so is rib lath I only use cement boards now had nothing but cracks with the renda lath I had to bed a mash in with the first coat to stop cracking

nick0412 said:
ok. whats the purpose of the paper?

i know its waterproof. is it to help too much gear falling through?

do u think 3 coats are needed?

cheers

Plaster and wood expand and contract at different rates when warming up or cooling down, during the day and night etc.

Thats why you can plaster on wood, and it will be ok for a while, but will fall off in a short space of time.

The paper takes in the moisture I've worked a lot with plastering on to timber and I think the best way is cement board or insulation

Sorry read that wrong thought you was talking about renda lathe wich has an anti contamination membrane then the paper which obzorbes!! Moisture

Status
Not open for further replies.