Spot Boards

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassbooster

Alright guys,

I'm gonna invest in a spot board now that I've got a nice run of new exensions to skim out, can anyone recomend any good brands? I've been looking at the one from screwfix, are they any good?

Also, what sheet timber do any of you guys use? i'm thinking a m2ish sheet of ply?

we use external ply. and make sure you get a heavy duty spot. ive used other spreads spots before that were cheap and nasty and they flap and wobble all over the place. and i wouldnt bother with a tall one either. i think theres a bloke on ebay that sells solid ones.

the only reason i say merlin, is we were using one on a job with another plasterer and twice he pulled it over when he was getting his skim off. It might have just been him but it put me off them.

Last edited by a moderator:
i got 2 boards. small 1, bout 1,m2, and a massive 1 for bigger jobs. the biggest i could get on the floor of my transit.

ply, mdf, whatever as long as its thick and straight

steve cov said:
the only reason i say merlin, is we were using one on a job with another plasterer and twice he pulled it over when he was getting his skim off. it might have just been him but it put me off them.
ive never done that,lol labs knocked it over before shovelling floating on it , mines good for stilts too.

we've got 4 lengths of scaff pole we just add to it to lift it up. 4metres high is a bit too much, great for rendering a gable though ;) ;D

i saw a lad use loads of bags of plaster and an off cut of plaster board...his spot would get lower every day till he had to take it out the bucket haha

I floored out a customers loft once with that 8x3 flooring panels and had loads of off-cuts left over so that's what I'm using at the mo, there really good to be honest aslong as you don't leave a load of skim on it and have to knock it off cos a couple have just snapped in half when hit with a hammer.

hi, i bought a workmate type bench specifically cause it extends from rouhly 1m to 2m so ideal when on stilts. then got a offcut of worktop 600 x 700 and screwed timber spar below in the middle and this can be clamped in jaws of workmate

used worktop as moisture resistant but when get round to it want a aluminium one made with sides etc

I have a low stand and just add different lengths of tubing to get it to the required height. Low is ideal on a scaffold as it keeps the board under the hand rail, tubes about 200mm for normal work and some about 500mm or so for when working on stilts. I always use 9.5mm ply for the spot board, 900mm2 for skimming and 1m2 for sand & cement work. I've used 9.5mm board for years and can't understand why anyone would want the lug anything heavier about especially when up and down scaffolds (obviously this doesn't apply to you now Richard).

Youve got the right idea kebab no messing around with spots or stands and more room on the van for extra bags but i cant mention the Tro****k so i will just sit and read the posts.

I have a solid box section stand cost about £30 delivered from ebay doing good had it about 6 years... I might sand blast it soon as its going a bit rusty :)

I also have marine ply board but I chop the corners off a bit and underneath I bout some wood so that the board is always in the center of the stand :)

showing your age a bit there paul with ursula andress,
any how most woman look like her in doncaster dont they?

nowt like getting back on topic christian.

Status
Not open for further replies.