sponge v brush

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruddez

whats the difference between using a sponge to using a brush you can bring up the fat with a brush and get the same finish as using a sponge

I used to love the sponge. But last time I used it I couldn't get the lines out. Not used since.

You have to use a synthetic sponge to get a proper finish. The natural sponges are too soft and the organic material (hydrocarbons) cause the skim to hang and not set. The harsher material of a synthetic sponge aerates the surface causing the skim to flash set to a few microns deep. Just enough to get the desired finish.

The reverse is true for brushes because the synthetic bristles are actually softer than the natural bristles brushes. The worst are those with hairs from a badger's ball bag.

(All info courtesy of the 2 day @Nisus palstering course. For 2016 the courses will be held in a container as the garage is under new management.)

whats the difference between using a sponge to using a brush you can bring up the fat with a brush and get the same finish as using a sponge
In all seriousness it's better to use as little water as possible to get a good finish.i use good quality brushes around the edges to tidy up but the sponge thing imo should not be needed just flatten quicker while the gear is still wet,hope this helps

if u say flatten when wet u mean straight after putting the second coat on would u need to flatten again as it stiffen then two wet trowels

if u say flatten when wet u mean straight after putting the second coat on would u need to flatten again as it stiffen then two wet trowels
Yes..flatten again as stiffening and try one cross trowel sometimes a second needed depending on surface you skimming over..remember flat and matt is better than it being like a mirror

I have never used a sponge for skimming or even seen anyone use one either on any sites ive been on. Its always been a brush. In saying that, ive used a sponge one or twice but thats only on a small corner or reveal where its been on to heavy, thats about it.

do u use much water on cross trowelling i always wet trowel vertically and just brush the water on first
Don't brush the water on if you need water on flick a bit in edges as you clean up the edges and use that..but as said less water is best

i shall try that or any other recommendations or techniques always looking for different ways of improving but it seems which ever way you finish the plaster it all looks the same painted providing its done to a reasonable standard

In all seriousness it's better to use as little water as possible to get a good finish.i use good quality brushes around the edges to tidy up but the sponge thing imo should not be needed just flatten quicker while the gear is still wet,hope this helps
You ever used one of them felt "brushes" that are available now think wack wholesale sell them

Not seen them
One of these mate apparently holds the water and gives even distribution of water no one I know got one or used one to know if worth a shot

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.4 KB · Views: 242
Used much stateside , called a mop, quite different to a sponge, you'll have big arms after it, don't rate to be honest

Sent from my HUAWEI G6-L11 using Tapatalk

Used much stateside , called a mop, quite different to a sponge, you'll have big arms after it, don't rate to be honest

Thanks mate not much about on them i feel like I'm cheating on trade by getting modern stuff but gotta move with times I brought a magic trowel about two months ago like a squeegee thing ok for flattening off and at 22" good for big ceilings

Nice one,I check it out worth a go get through loads of brushes
I can't find many reviews on it and I know only a brush but as I been on my own for a year now I've turned into a tight b*****d and watch what I throw away and find myself picking up screws from floor when cleaning up ;)

The mop thing has been around since early nineties, They used to cross big ceilings with them, felt it saved a trowell.

Can't remember , as I said twenty years ago. Think originally used finish taping maybe.

blister brush is what I know it have & use - very good mine is quite old now so lasted well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.