sponge floats on multifinnish

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
funny innit all the people who are so devoted to kicking off about a bit of skimming, you'd think it's all they can do

Have a look at one coat spec spray finish that will really do you heads in then :RpS_tongue:

Been hand applying this week, it really is nice stuff

i couldnt get on with the spray gear by hand. only did a day mind, prob wasnt getting the timings right but i found it a pain. sprayed on board i loved it

how much are u getting out of an r+s btw?

Had one die a few weeks in but that's coz we ran it dry. The new one seems fine still.Spray finish does take a while to get used to but then again so does anything new. It's worth it even by hand makes multi seem like sticky mud now.

Last edited:
Had one die a few weeks in but that's coz we ran it dry. The new one seems fine still.Spray finish does take a while to get used to but then again so does anything new. It's worth it even by hand makes multi seem like sticky mud now.

so how many bags do u reckon you got to a rotor?

Didn't have a sponge with me today,tried it once and it liked it though.used my bucket brush instead and brushed the whole ceiling,then went over it.lovely result.one wet and one dry after and,pukka!

Not sure, it just feels gritty, IMO

if it feel gritty it could be down to the sponge not being cleaned properly , coz i`ve worked with loads of different plasterers most use a brush but the ones who have mastered the sponge would never go back to a brush, when i work with a new plasterer i always watch to see if they do anything different to me and pinch there best bits and give them a few tips myself , surely we should all do that? but like its been said on here sponge or a brush deppends on the plasterer , but i do think some people are`nt using a sponge coz there stuck in there ways , if someone shows me a quicker, neater and easier way to do it than the sponge , then i`d love to know , i just want to the job the quickest and neatest way i can , its all business boys

if it feel gritty it could be down to the sponge not being cleaned properly , coz i`ve worked with loads of different plasterers most use a brush but the ones who have mastered the sponge would never go back to a brush, when i work with a new plasterer i always watch to see if they do anything different to me and pinch there best bits and give them a few tips myself , surely we should all do that? but like its been said on here sponge or a brush deppends on the plasterer , but i do think some people are`nt using a sponge coz there stuck in there ways , if someone shows me a quicker, neater and easier way to do it than the sponge , then i`d love to know , i just want to the job the quickest and neatest way i can , its all business boys

it can be a bugger if you've not cleaned them little balls of plaster out when they go hard and scratch the finish........

**** me 26 years plastering and rendering and now i am told i have been doing it wrong :RpS_confused:. Always finished render off with a sponge and never had any probs . So how do others finish there's ?.

Yeah same, I always finish with a sponge after a plazzi float of course.......

But, I have seen loads of render, especially here in Yorkshire. Where it had been rubbed up when still very wet with a sponge, maybe thats what he means? Looks like the surface of the Irish Sea on a windy day.

Yeah same, I always finish with a sponge after a plazzi float of course.......But, I have seen loads of render, especially here in Yorkshire. Where it had been rubbed up when still very wet with a sponge, maybe thats what he means? Looks like the surface of the Irish Sea on a windy day.
Lol seen that too Dannymac, feckin horrendous lookin! It's not ready for a final rub but feck it, piss poor:RpS_mad:

I always rub the render up with the plastic float first then go over very lightly with a trowel then when its ready bring it back with the sponge . gives it a realy nice flat with a fine grain finish .

I find that Sand and Cement render that has been finished with sponge is fine..until the sun is shining along the wall, then as Dannymac stated, it 'Looks like the surface of the Irish Sea on a windy day'.

I find a sponge makes render look good when you're working up close but take a step back in the right light and it can look bumpy. I rub up in a figure of 8 as to not leave lots of circles in the finish. The minds eye is drawn to patterns, so render rubbed up with loads of circles in stands out easily.

I find that Sand and Cement render that has been finished with sponge is fine..until the sun is shining along the wall, then as Dannymac stated, it 'Looks like the surface of the Irish Sea on a windy day'.

I find a sponge makes render look good when you're working up close but take a step back in the right light and it can look bumpy. I rub up in a figure of 8 as to not leave lots of circles in the finish. The minds eye is drawn to patterns, so render rubbed up with loads of circles in stands out easily.
That's why you go over first with the plastic float to remove all the high spots and lets you see the hollows which you can fill, then re'flatten with a light trowel and then sponge when ready, there should be no Irish sea on a windy day when the sun is on it.

i always finish with a sponge lay it on rule it up fill in slacks rule them off then i usually run the float over it, then float it in properly and sponge after to finish obviously at the right timings not straight after one anouther haha, always finishes lovley but i know what you mean about people bodging it looks like they have just laid it on with a spoon then sponged it up straight away haha its the rustic look i believe.

on a side note used me sponge float on a artex ceilin over skim the other day only because once i was almost finished with it i jumped down from the hop up lookd up at it and it had loads of pimples over it so i just sponged the lot had a fag then ran the plastic over it hey presto lovley finish no pimples left

spounge is good for quick one coat work, where as said the price is tight or even over board, board is already flat so the more coats you apply the more risk of getting a wavey finish. also used to bring back dead plaster if youv layed on to much, but this should never happen if your a decent spread lol not lost anything since i was an apprentice.
also good for pushing out bubbles if layed on too thick.

spounge is good for quick one coat work, where as said the price is tight or even over board, board is already flat so the more coats you apply the more risk of getting a wavey finish. also used to bring back dead plaster if youv layed on to much, but this should never happen if your a decent spread lol not lost anything since i was an apprentice.
also good for pushing out bubbles if layed on too thick.
Just how thick are you putting on if you are getting a wavey finish ? , skimming should be put on at a 3-4 mill thickness and in 2 coats (or one coat if your rough.)

Status
Not open for further replies.