Sponge float on finish

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeT

Morning all. I just watched a video on YouTube of some guy using a sponge float over his skim,has any one done this? Pro's? Cons?

George just stick to the ways you learnt At college! Don't watch you tube, my football team bought a player called xisco from watching you tube and he was ******* w**k!

Yea I have done it before. . There quite good for over skimming artex.. cant say av done it in a while mainly cos I cba..

Just curious and open minded. Obviously college teaches me a lot but I trowel the net watch videos read forums to expand on my knowledge. Some good pointers out there and some bad ones .

Open minded??????? You like dropping the sponge in the shower too? ;)

Dont disagree pal there's some great spreads out there with a lot of knowledge, but if your still at college learn the basics first, personally I don't like it, been working with spreads that have used it, (wrong) as well and you get the swirl marks once painted! Far better with speed skim, 2 coats, 2wet trowels and nice hard trowel with s*p*r*lex! (NELA)

As adam ses only gd for cleaning with, if i were to even see a plasterer walking in with a sponge float in his tool bag id probly sack him on the spot!

As adam ses only gd for cleaning with, if i were to even see a plasterer walking in with a sponge float in his tool bag id probly sack him on the spot!

They are a handy thing to have.. as ryan said good for curves.. not worth sacking for!!!!!

Curves etc fair enough ... plazzi's are great for them and the old 'tex

I do wonder why people sponge whole ceilings though .... Must of missed the part on the Multi bag where it says trowel on then sponge ...

Suppose i am being a bit drastic, curves, fair enough but trowel up with, then id have to either sack em or tell them to get theor trowel out and do it proper like

Either way, unless in rare circumstances, u shuldnt need 1 really, your trusty ole trowel will b safice

Good job your not using universal one coat then hey... you;d have no one left...

The guy I'm working with ATM uses the sponge float and I refuse to use it but he insists it's the way but it seems to take longer as I'm it's like doing an extra trowel really confident in my work but really do I stick to the status Que or does anyone else believe this litter?

using The Plasterers Forum app

I've taken a young lass on who is good with a sponge!!??
attachment.php

Am sure my lass would love you tho do that Ryan!?? Err perhaps not the trowel bit mind?? :RpS_laugh:

I like to sponge on nice and complicated curves - rub it in nicely and then use flexi to smooth off

arrisplastering.co.uk
:RpS_scared: what you do in your home life ,is one thing ,we are a plastering forum ,no more smut :RpS_sneaky:

But so does a brush with water on it so I can't see the point!

using The Plasterers Forum app

Sponging with a float is for one coat plaster only!! Yes those who disagree you do what you want!!! As for skimming just do it properly as shown in college or by your mentor !!! Sponging !?? Save it to clean your van!!! :rolleyes)

Think we were talking about rates ,i said there is no money in the game ,he said he earned 40k last year ,as a joke i said thats what i have been trying to tell you ,no money in the game ....i thought it was funny :RpS_blushing:

Status
Not open for further replies.