Sponge float on finish

Members online

No members online now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nothing wrong with using the sponge float, if you know how, a good plasterer should be able to adapt to any method to do the job, I've seen some rough arse spreads using traditional "correct" methods leave walls that I personally would be ashamed to leave that way, my advice is try it if it works the fair enough if it doesn't then stick with what you know

Each to their own Kev as they say ,i have seen some great work from sponge float ,but it is not for me

nothing wrong with using the sponge float, if you know how, a good plasterer should be able to adapt to any method to do the job, I've seen some rough arse spreads using traditional "correct" methods leave walls that I personally would be ashamed to leave that way, my advice is try it if it works the fair enough if it doesn't then stick with what you know
Are you saying I'm not good then pal!!!!

Seen as how you put it like that!?? ....doesn't take much to twist my arm :RpS_laugh: :RpS_thumbup:

I'm not even going to try and fight the sponge corner, but anyone who uses them right, knows what the sponge can do .... They are for one coat work really, pointless on 2 coat. I've done and seen some spot on one coat sponge work, some peoples 2 coat work is wa*k.

Why beacuse someone uses a sponge is thought of as rough? ...

Some of the 2 coat work i've seen is shocking, i could have troweled up one coat with no sponge and it'd look better.

yeh, sponge is for universal etc.. I think people see plasterers using a sponge on multi to be rough... probably because.. why would you ..lol...

I know Keith your too busy doing John Wayne impressions bullying everybody around lol :RpS_laugh:

"The hell i ...." ok must stop now , the wife has moved me and the pc to the garden ,she never was a big John Wayne fan :RpS_crying:

yeh, sponge is for universal etc.. I think people see plasterers using a sponge on multi to be rough... probably because.. why would you ..lol...

but don't you agree mate, just because they are using a sponge dosent make them rough? Same as just because someone put a second coat doesn't mean there work will be good ...

I one and two coat, sponge and don't sponge .... And I'm not rough ... Properly only another very good spread would know that I've one coated and not two coated, and the finish would still be faultless ...

I just dont reckon on them from what iv seen, may have only just seen bad spreads with them, in over 15 years expierience ive never used, needed nor wanted one and will probly maintain my ignorant opinion about them and die curious lol

I just dont reckon on them from what iv seen, may have only just seen bad spreads with them, in over 15 years expierience ive never used, needed nor wanted one and will probly maintain my ignorant opinion about them and die curious lol

I only ever seen it in the last few weeks and it's used because the person is one coating but I don't believe in this method i believe 2 coat and a brush and water and I believe my love turns out better so I'm with you on this ( no sponge )

using The Plasterers Forum app

Typo (love) we're this come from lol "mine turns out better"

1 coat for amateurs 2 coats for pros ;)

How can you say that? My work isn't amateurish mate, take a look at my website. It's like me saying your a amateur because you can't fit cornice or render, screed etc ... But I haven't mate.

How can you say that? My work isn't amateurish mate, take a look at my website. It's like me saying your a amateur because you can't fit cornice or render, screed etc ... But I haven't mate.

Somebody's tired I think it's all a matter of opinion mate nothing personal like

Haha i knew id get a bite with that comment, im just messing john :)
i just believe in two coats nd nothing else, ignorant? Yes, but thats what i was taught and havent seen other peoples work to persuade me different. I like to stick with what i know. Sure, i could take a look at your website but that wouldnt persuade me either. Pictures are nothing to go by, you can only judge plastering by actually being there. Being shown pics before of some ppls work and it looked great but when i actually went and seen it in person, it was rough, and vice versa.
Not doubting or judging your work john, just expressing my practice and opinion, im sure your very gd at what you do, no hard feelings buddy

one coating multi cant be a widespread thing, in 33 years ive never seen anyone do it... watched a youtube clip of that guy sponging last nite, and it looked raf just from the footage, just dont see the point, but thats my opinion.. for the spongers.. whats the advantage do you reckon ? personally I would never do it... but thats just me...

Personally sponging multi !?? Its quite gritty compared to knauf mp finish which is very very fine . I could see a purpose for those who sponge on mp but on multi ?? I just don't get it at all? My advice buy a s*p*r*lex and throw your sponge away! I'm not saying those of you who sponge do a bad job! If you haven't already get a s*p*r*lex read some of the many posts about it and crack on :RpS_thumbup:

The important thing is job satisfaction

You are still young, the only satisfaction is money and continuity, we rush from one job to another not really like an art gallery presentation. More muck savages, some plasterers live for the praise, god love them I say

I think I will be investing in one of these plastic trowels.

Only good for the last trowel / polish mate (I have one myself) try a stainless s*p*r*lex with that you can trowel on and finish with it. They are brilliant but don't take my word for it have a look through some threads about them :RpS_thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.