Sponge finish tomorrow

Members online

solway

Laid on a sand/cement external elevation today. A foot above bellcast never pulled in enough to float up 100% so we floated it as well as we could and all we could do is return in the morning float it up again and sponge it off. Small problem though is a foot down from the soffit the wall will be fairly well set so I'm wondering how to bring bit back so the whole wall can be done in 1 act. I could sprinkle with water and spin the float on it to bring the 'fat' up again but I'd be worried about shrinkage cracking down the road in a few months. How do you boys get over this problem? Cheers

Ya lime was added,we always use lime. Can't tyrolene it as the client wants smooth finish. Just got the section around the bellcast pulled together about 4pm. Rendering this time of the year is a b.....d!!

if the render has set to much and will not come back. mix a bucket of sand cement and lime at the same mix that you rendered with. mix it very wet, rubber glove on your hand ,dip sponge into the mix and rub a texture onto the hard render that needs a finish.

Hose it and bring it all back with the float but it won't be the best floated finish ever .
I would have plenty of lime in the scratch and have the bell cast well filled out with the scratch coat this time of the year

Bellcast nibbed out last Thursday,scratched last Tuesday. What created the problem at bellcast level was no gutters up and rainwater from the roof.... we didn't even sprinkle the wall with water this morning(only the top at the soffit). Would you sponge it after floating back up moy83. We would often use this method for napping the next morning

Ya we would have to nap stuff th
Bellcast nibbed out last Thursday,scratched last Tuesday. What created the problem at bellcast level was no gutters up and rainwater from the roof.... we didn't even sprinkle the wall with water this morning(only the top at the soffit). Would you sponge it after floating back up moy83. We would often use this method for napping the next morning
Ya we would nap stuff that way if we got caught out like that . Sponging mightnt be as easy to get right ,napping with a bit of scoury mix in a bucket as someone else said would be alot more forgiving

rendering with sand & cement (mainly for topping) if it is not going off in the cold weather spread newspaper flat onto the render, gently rub your float over the surface to absorb some of the water/moisture, then gently peel the paper off - if the paper is ringing wet repeat the process, this will allow for a quicker rub up.

169920e1aeb011c9b1b8e0d49a9fb664.jpg

Bought one of these a few months back
Awesome bit of kit especially for drying out texture

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arrived this morning,wall was well set. Small section got the washed off from the rain where downpipe blew off. Mashed up a few hawks from yesterday's mix laid it on and floated it up. Wet down and scoured up the whole wall again and sponged up with the orange napping float. Turned out okish!!. It's not 100% but it will pass.

rendering with sand & cement (mainly for topping) if it is not going off in the cold weather spread newspaper flat onto the render, gently rub your float over the surface to absorb some of the water/moisture, then gently peel the paper off - if the paper is ringing wet repeat the process, this will allow for a quicker rub up.
I had a problem with the bell cast pulling in last week we put newspaper over it and flicked lime over the damp paper and it sorted it out quickly

We're not gone on the newspaper trick. I find it turns the render all 'crusty' and shi##y. Grand for the back of a shed but I wouldn't use it on a house. Did any1 ever use the blowtorch. I know 1 spread who blackened a gable with it 1 winters day,he burnt the fuc# out of it. Got him out of a hole. I don't know how it looks now tho.....