Speedskim

Status
Not open for further replies.

gps

Well thanks to the very generous people @Speedskim and my exploits in the pool comp, I received mine today and I must say I'm impressed with the look of of it and looking forward to giving it it's debut on Monday, if it works for me I'll certainly get the 1200 with pole for lids

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine too,haven't used speed skim before and looking forward to giving it a go also.:RpS_thumbup:

Well thanks to the very generous people @Speedskim and my exploits in the pool comp, I received mine today and I must say I'm impressed with the look of of it and looking forward to giving it it's debut on Monday, if it works for me I'll certainly get the 1200 with pole for lids

Hi mate - cheers for the post. Glad it arrived safe and sound, the Speedskim fleeces/beanies for you guys (@kgreigh @mac_plastering @DannyMac ) are being sent out on Tuesday - sorry for the slight delay on these :)

You can flatten and finish with the ST (blue) , and the new gasket feature reduces user maintenance, making blade changing nice and easy ;-)

Useful how to guide link: Speedskim

General FAQ's section: Speedskim

Last edited:
I bought a 600mm and 1.2m months ago and decided to give them an outing for the first time today cos there is a skip on site just incase lol. But they worked better than i thought they would, flattened ceiling coats well and did ok on second coat of sc floated int wall coats too. remembered to emri the edges as mentioned on here before to help avoid end lines and finished up beautifully with the refina s*p*r*lex. So may use them a lot more now they passed the test defo speeded things up a bit.

Whats the process for finishing with these ? Cos everyone ive seen has been shocking. Not long back had to over-skim a brand new ceiling as the bloke before had tried finishing with his, even tried doing all the edges with it made a right mess of the brand new oak newels.

DHL001.jpg DHL002.jpg DHL003.jpg DHL004.jpg DHL005.jpg

100% mate smashed the ceiling on with 3 walls, finished with his speed skim then done one at lunch.

Obviously not a very good one then if thats the case , surely you could get it better or if you got worried use ur trowel cos u will still have it near you , you would just of used it to put the ceiling on with etc, any fiddly bits and you would have to be mad just to flatten and finish with a speedskim

New blade are miles better - used scottie's tip to bend the corners upwards a bit and they are lovely to flatten.

Its a good shout mate...

For anyone who is not familiar..

The new ST (blue blades) flatten the plaster quickly and easily. You can finish with the new ST (blue blade) which largely depends on personal preference. I think its misunderstood that the Speedskim doesn't take the place of the trowel - it dovetails in with traditional methods and makes life easier. Its up to the Plasterer to decide his/her routine. The SF (pink blade) has been developed as an alternative for those who prefer stainless steel as the contact point in the final finishing stage.

Aside from allowing the Plasterer to get more done in a day (which is what a lot of spreads want) Speedskim also reduces fatigue. The effects of fatigue differ in Plasterers, some suffer mild aches and pains others have far more excruciating ailments caused by the repetitive effects of using the trowel over a period of many years. For some, the affects of fatigue means they have to leave the industry. For those who cant or dont want to move into management it can present a major employment dilemma. So its a serious issue.

Using the Speedskim system reduces fatigue. For older Plasterers this is great news as it makes the job bearable again (in some case extending careers), for younger Plasterers its a safeguard against developing these ailments and pains in later life. The Plastering game is a bit like roulette - you might get through with bearable aches and pains, on the other hand a high percentage dont. A lot of the time the ailments take you off your feet when you least expect it.

Speedskim gives Plasterers what they want out of it (in most cases better earning potential), while at the same time reducing compounding effects of fatigue. Speedskim provides an alternative that dovetails in perfectly with traditional methods...

The new ST (blue blade) is incredibly popular as its speeds the whole skim coat operation and is versatile across a multitude of applications including renders.

Hope this is helpful to those who are unfamiliar to the Speedskim system and its advantages...:RpS_thumbup:

Always found great customer service at speedskim and even got some freebies.. Good tool for the job as well

Always found great customer service at speedskim and even got some freebies.. Good tool for the job as well

Cheers Windy ~ Customer service is incredibly important to us. We try to keep in touch with customers as much as possible, not least TPF members who have really helped us in terms of product development and improvements..

We are working on number of products at present which will become available as the the year unfolds, including blade guards, bespoke cases, and other interchangeable blades and accessories. The aim is to make the Speedskim system efficient and as economical to maintain as possible. Whether its site work or domestic, providing a modern professional look for the Plasterer is in everything we are designing.

Can't wait to try one of these how much are they?

Sets are incredibly popular mate - the most popular set by far is the 600mm/1200mm/Pole Attachment PRO set. This set gives the Plasterer the best of everything. The 1200mm copes with medium and even large areas really well while the 600mm takes care of the smaller areas including hallways, staircases, landing and bathrooms etc. Having the 600mm enables the Plasterer to keep the timings the same as other larger areas, and is also really good for finishing as you can get some nice pressure on it.

The Pole Attachment is worth its weight in gold and helps you despatch ceilings really quickly.

Here's a link to the 600mm/1200mm/Pole Attachment PRO set: http://speedskim.co.uk/product/6001200mm-with-pole-attachment-pro-set/

Here's a general link to the shop: Speedskim

Speedskim User Guide download: Speedskim

What about finishing with the brown and ss blade(sf)? Does anyone use that one?:RpS_thumbup:

The thing is I dont plaster enough to get the meters on... I am sure it is achievable in fact I know it is :) Its just I have not had the opportunity to do it just yet :)

Fair enough,I still havnt used either but now I have the St's will give them a go soon enough.:RpS_thumbup:

The thing is I dont plaster enough to get the meters on... I am sure it is achievable in fact I know it is :) Its just I have not had the opportunity to do it just yet :)

Doesn't matter.. I never do big hits but what ever u do out in u can flatten off real quick.. It's an effective tool for that

These sound great. I haven't seen them in B and Q or Wickes. How much are they? Is it like a plastic featheredge?

Thanks. I might buy one of them. Where did you get yours? Is doesn't say in the article. Surely you can't finish with them? I can't see that.

imo best thing that's ever happened to plastering since electric mixers. I can genuinely say that they make a bloody hard job bearable the prospect of chucking a lid on without my speadskim and pole would fill me with dread now.

Used to use stilts but always hating using them and never felt overly safe now its just a hop-up couple of passes with speedskim and a a polish with trowel.

Also do loads of shitty renovation work knock a 50/50 bonding/finish coat rule off with speedy and set fantastic!

There awesome mate anyone that knocks them just hasn't grasped the concept/timings!

Zombie

Its a good shout mate...

The new ST (blue blades) flatten the plaster quickly and easily. You can finish with the new ST (blue blade) which largely depends on personal preference. I think its misunderstood that the Speedskim doesn't take the place of the trowel - it dovetails in with traditional methods and makes life easier. Its up to the Plasterer to decide his/her routine. The SF (pink blade) has been developed as an alternative for those who prefer stainless steel as the contact point in the final finishing stage.

Aside from allowing the Plasterer to get more done in a day (which is what a lot of spreads want) Speedskim also reduces fatigue. The effects of fatigue differ in Plasterers, some suffer mild aches and pains others have far more excruciating ailments caused by the repetitive effects of using the trowel over a period of many years. For some, the affects of fatigue means they have to leave the industry. For those who cant or dont want to move into management it can present a major employment dilemma. So its a serious issue.

Using the Speedskim system reduces fatigue. For older Plasterers this is great news as it makes the job bearable again (in some case extending careers), for younger Plasterers its a safeguard against developing these ailments and pains in later life. The Plastering game is a bit like roulette - you might get through with bearable aches and pains, on the other hand a high percentage dont. A lot of the time the ailments take you off your feet when you least expect it.

Speedskim gives Plasterers what they want out of it (in most cases better earning potential), while at the same time reducing compounding effects of fatigue. Speedskim provides an alternative that dovetails in perfectly with traditional methods...

The new ST (blue blade) is incredibly popular as its speeds the whole skim coat operation and is versatile across a multitude of applications including renders.

Hope this is helpful to those who are unfamiliar to the Speedskim system and its advantages...:RpS_thumbup:
Its like the fairy liquid adverts it gets better every year!

Its a good shout mate...

I 100% agree with all that....cured my tendons....best tool I ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.