Speedskim Technique?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love my speedskim, skimmed a bumpy broken leather art ex ceiling today. Flattening with the pole on makes life so much easier. Came up a treat.

I have used both the refina blade is wider and has more flex. I like the refina over the nela because it is a far better trowel.

Last edited:
I think the speedskim was prety good on internal walls n ceilings but i didnt find it as good on external s/c coats , not crap but not as good as the metal feather edge screeders.

Why the **** does everyone try and use a floppy bit of plastic for heavy sand and cement render? Like what is the logic behind it

some post i saw on here said it can be used on ext render ! i was dubious so gave it a go out of curiosity and now know for sure it aint as good as a standard screeder for that job, still good for internal work though.

Taken from speedskim website, number 3 craics me up in regards to render, i just cant take them seriously lol

" Immediately after application of top coat apply your Speedskim® to rule off. With its unique flexibility Speedskim® out performs all other methods considerably reducing any dragging or tearing – leaving an extremely flat finish. "

A bit contradictory ! surely theyre not saying it rules off flatter than a rigid feather edge ?

Speedskim001.jpg

if you hold it perfectly flat apposed to at an angle providing gears wet through will straighten any material!

if you create an angle it smooths over but doesn't flatten/highlight dips etc...

ive used on ewi backing coats that are wet through and it was great so have to disagree but your timing obviously has to be right in the first place

Ewi is thin coat for a start and not heavy like sand and cement. Holding it flat would close the surface of s+c it would definately not flatten it

Ewi is thin coat for a start and not heavy like sand and cement. Holding it flat would close the surface of s+c it would definately not flatten it

you may be right as I haven't used on s&c but I still recon it would work if ruled as soon as applied couple meters at a time proving held flat and gears wet...but im welcome to be told different from guys that have tried?

Ha sorry. Even if it did rule off 1m at a time. And only if he gears wet. What would be the benefit of doing that when you can put on an elevation/wall and rule the while lot off with a straight edge

yeah I accept that point mate...was just saying I thought it would still work through the material if timed when wet...

anyhows I do like them and wouldn't be without mine but would never turn up for any float & set or render work without a straight edge...

there versatile but certainly not a replacement for a darby/fetheredge but have there place and uses for me:RpS_thumbup:

Hit the nail on the head there mate, if you don't like them, don't comment. people look to this forum for constructive feedback. I wouldn't be without my speedskim these days, and my final product has not changed one bit! it free's up time to do other things, and also.... as speeskim state, it reduces fatigue, and i'm sure for plasterers starting off, they will get less aches and pains when they are older!

Is constructive feedback not having an opinion? Which would mean some people would like it and some wouldn't. Or is constructive feedback something you like that you don't want slated ?

Is constructive feedback not having an opinion? Which would mean some people would like it and some wouldn't. Or is constructive feedback something you like that you don't want slated ?

Have you actually used the blue bladed speed skim before @Nicklearse like gave it a proper go on say multi on cold damp p/board or on a thick coat of bonding over a low suction background?.
If you have and hate it then thats absolutely fair enough as everyone's entitled to an opinion, and as we know not every one gets on with every tool.
But that opinion should really be based on more then just someone guessing what a tool may or may not be capable of achieving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi scottie. Im liking the attitude.
Believe it or not yes I have used a speedskim. Your not the only lucky one. Mr speedskim sent me for free to try out. Not the blue one the white one. I can't say I frequently skim over cold damp plasterboard? And I wouldn't use it for bonding because I'm not an idiot.
It's not guessing it's experience. And common sense. But I'm glad you enjoy ruling off bonding and skimming damp plasterboard with it.

Have you actually used the blue bladed speed skim before @Nicklearse like gave it a proper go on say multi on cold damp p/board or on a thick coat of bonding over a low suction background?.
If you have and hate it then thats absolutely fair enough as everyone's entitled to an opinion, and as we know not every one gets on with every tool.
But that opinion should really be based on more then just someone guessing what a tool may or may not be capable of achieving.

Liking the attitude scottie.
You're hardly worth the reply because you've obviously already decided I'm just making it up because it's hurting your pride in your silly toy.

But yes believe it or not iv been lucky enough to try a speedskim too. It was sent to me personally from Mr speedskim himself for free to try out.
No I don't skim over cold damp plasterboard? I'm a little lost with that. And no I don't rule bonding with it because it is idiotic.

I don't personally like the speedskim. I have a refina super flex spat that I do personally like and use on occasion. The conversation was actually about using it on render which is moronic and that's what I have an opinion on. As I said also I understand on ewi but not s+c.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi scottie. Im liking the attitude.
Believe it or not yes I have used a speedskim. Your not the only lucky one. Mr speedskim sent me for free to try out. Not the blue one the white one. I can't say I frequently skim over cold damp plasterboard? And I wouldn't use it for bonding because I'm not an idiot.
It's not guessing it's experience. And common sense. But I'm glad you enjoy ruling off bonding and skimming damp plasterboard with it.

Oh dear,
Id suggest buying a new blue blade or sticking the grey one up your arse you arrogant cuunnt.

If my blue blades had a nose and a tail id fly to work on it.....and fly home.

Best invention since the helicopter.

yeah im sure a blue piece of plastic rules of render a treat. you ******* chancer. id love to see your work

When the did I mention ruling render off with a speedskim you massive pair of clowns shoes .
Wtf would you even try that for, I have metal edges for that.
That said it does close hardwall up well before a rub.
The point was have you tried the blue blade which is about a million times better than that old shitty grey thing.
I've been chancing it for over a quarter of a century and have yet to of been found out you pr!ck.

Last edited:
When the did I mention ruling render off with a speedskim you massive pair of ****** ***** .
The point was have you tried the blue blade which is about a million times better than that old shitty grey thing.
I've been chancing it for over a quarter of a century and have yet to of been found out you pr!ck.

that sort of language shouldn't be tolerated on here and I hope the mods will update the swear filter, I've edited that one for you :RpS_cursing:

When the did I mention ruling render off with a speedskim you massive pair of clowns shoes .

Clown shoes
Sorry scottie too hottie I think I was mid rage. Everyone else was banging on about render. Which was the original conversation. I'm not really sure why u brought up blue blades and damp boards and bonding?
Obviously I agree with you on the render. That was my whole point if you read back.
Do explain to me the blue blade. And I will even go so far as to apologise for jumping the gun on u. As log as you stop being nasty too

Clown shoes
Sorry scottie too hottie I think I was mid rage. Everyone else was banging on about render. Which was the original conversation. I'm not really sure why u brought up blue blades and damp boards and bonding?
Obviously I agree with you on the render. That was my whole point if you read back.
Do explain to me the blue blade. And I will even go so far as to apologise for jumping the gun on u. As log as you stop being nasty too

:RpS_blushing: erm sorry been that sort of a day, yes reading back it would seem that it was a render based query, like I say its never even crossed my mind to try and rule anything other than wet material on low suction backgrounds with the speed skim, I read you like the refina spat the new blue blade is the plastic equivalent of that spat it knocks finish down really well and bringing no moisture up finishes quicker then steel I find.
The old grey blades were fairly useless for everything apart from a quick flatten of p1ss wet skim new blades are miles better.
Alot of people seem to have written the speed skim off purely based on those old grey blades.
Apologies for the clowns shoes comment it was perhaps a bit strong. :RpS_thumbup:

I'm open to anything. Just not people saying they rule off render with plastic. It's just ridiculous. I assumed u were still on that and asking me if I'd even tried it. I was thinking ffs!
I only use my super flex spat for skim on board work if it's big enough to warrant it. I agree with the grey blades. I hadn't really heard of a blue blade.
Also my account seems to have been restricted for some reason. It won't post and says it has to be reviewed by a mod lol. Hence my double posting earlier....

No not at all mate, I just think the forum benefits from people explaining why they don't like something, rather that just saying its shite, at least if you say why its shite it gives people a better idea of the product. I know people aren't goin to like certain tools but there are too many sarcastic comments on this forum which don't help anyone

No not at all mate, I just think the forum benefits from people explaining why they don't like something, rather that just saying its shite, at least if you say why its shite it gives people a better idea of the product. I know people aren't goin to like certain tools but there are too many sarcastic comments on this forum which don't help anyone

To be fair I didn't help things much, reading back nicks point was why would anyone rule render with it which is completely fair enough, as opposed to him saying there shite end of.
The speed skims are the nuts if you play to there strengths.

Status
Not open for further replies.