TV UNIT FEATURE WALL - Advice Needed

Members online

Taylor1

Hi guys (y)

I have recently built a recessed tv unit with recessed shelving and just managed to finish sheeting it over the weekend. (Photos Below) So now time to plaster it, but before I start I am just looking for any tips tricks and advice from the professionals who have done these jobs before

After a lot of research on this forum I have managed to plaster most of my house up until now and fairly happy with the results, but the feature wall I’m hoping to get absolutely perfect as it’s the focal point and something everyone will see. I have most of the basics marshalltown 14, s*p*r*lex, 600mm speedskim, sponge etc.. I’ve also bought some plaster retarder for the job just so there’s less panick and I can get the job done right.

The shelving units are 80mm in height so just enough to fit a scraper in, it’s very narrow. so I was thinking of just putting stop beads round the outline of the shelves and plastering the face of the wall up to them as I’m not too sure if I could even plaster the inside because of how tight it is, so just painting straight into the gyproc. Or should I apply angle beads round it all and attempt to plaster the inside?

Also what order would you tend to plaster this? And do I Still go for the 2 coat skim then trowel etc etc?

Some screws still to be filled, joints will be skrimmed, and of course fireplace and sockets took out before commencing

sorry about the long post fellas just lookingfor as much advice as possible before I start, so cheers for reading in advance and you guys have helped me a lot on this forum by just reading over this stuff, some real knowledgable guys:cool:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 815
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 610
What have you got behind the board to take the weight and fixings of the TV? If that boxing on the left is to hide the gas fire flue pipe you don't want to be screwing into that!

What have you got behind the board to take the weight and fixings of the TV? If that boxing on the left is to hide the gas fire flue pipe you don't want to be screwing into that!
What boxing on left.
Think thats electiric fire

Not hate-in but no thought at all gone into that
Get them hdmi cables in before you continue from tv & sky box needs power that will look shire bringing it back up through top
& tv socket needs to be behind tv
& no noggins in for bracket

Your welcome

Last edited:
You no chance of plastering in side them shelve .stop beads n paint inside.
And if you just a diyer i.d do that recess in three hits if you want nice corners
What you couldn’t plaster Inside those shelves??? Piece of piss

Best finish on that for a diy’r Is to Ames tape. Get metal corner tape of externals and paper gave for intenals. You can then fill and sand back as many times as you like until it’s perfect.

get a plasterer in ,but of course you want it done cheap,...........are you an engineer/fireman/teacher.....get a plasterer in

Hi guys (y)

I have recently built a recessed tv unit with recessed shelving and just managed to finish sheeting it over the weekend. (Photos Below) So now time to plaster it, but before I start I am just looking for any tips tricks and advice from the professionals who have done these jobs before

After a lot of research on this forum I have managed to plaster most of my house up until now and fairly happy with the results, but the feature wall I’m hoping to get absolutely perfect as it’s the focal point and something everyone will see. I have most of the basics marshalltown 14, s*p*r*lex, 600mm speedskim, sponge etc.. I’ve also bought some plaster retarder for the job just so there’s less panick and I can get the job done right.

The shelving units are 80mm in height so just enough to fit a scraper in, it’s very narrow. so I was thinking of just putting stop beads round the outline of the shelves and plastering the face of the wall up to them as I’m not too sure if I could even plaster the inside because of how tight it is, so just painting straight into the gyproc. Or should I apply angle beads round it all and attempt to plaster the inside?

Also what order would you tend to plaster this? And do I Still go for the 2 coat skim then trowel etc etc?

Some screws still to be filled, joints will be skrimmed, and of course fireplace and sockets took out before commencing

sorry about the long post fellas just lookingfor as much advice as possible before I start, so cheers for reading in advance and you guys have helped me a lot on this forum by just reading over this stuff, some real knowledgable guys:cool:
One hit bush done won’t go off to quick all around bead work just messy nice Friday job that.

Reactions: Jjj
Hi guys (y)

Break it down with small mixes you'll be ok then
20190906_114931.jpg
20190905_074559.jpg

Hi guys (y)

If it's the main focal point of the room and you want it done perfect hire a plasterer to do it properly it's a small hit for a experienced plasterer but for a diyer, like John j said to get the perfect corners u should tackle it with 3 hits