Speedskim ...help/advice please .

Members online

No members online now.
If you want to see all 3 versions being used, then one example would be this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHiDeDtOeU

He catches a lot of flak, here on TPF, but, overall, I think the guy means well.
Anyway, it's not about him, it's about the speedskims, so watch it or don't, as you see fit.

The ST doesn't leave as smooth a finish as the SF. The ST is (mostly) just for getting your wet plaster level.
The SF steel blade leaves a cleaner finish, but it is a bit more flexible than the ST blade.
The plastic flex (which I haven't used) seems to be aimed just at putting a quick eggshell finish on a large area, at the end of a set.

For me, the single biggest advantage of using a speedskim (or any spat) is getting an overall level coat of plaster, on large areas, which can then be worked and finished with a trowel. Therefore, my take on it is that if you're only going to get one speedskim, then I agree with Chrispy - blue plastic ST blade, for levelling wet plaster, and then trowel the remaining stages. 900 or 1200.
he's just an attention seeking ego stroking t**t........probs lurpak in real life.

Hi all , thinking of trying one out , just for mainly flattening ceilings ( i dont use stilts ) so thinking of using a ss on a pole to save the ole knees keep getting up and down lol . I have looked into it a little bit , but not sure what the difference is on the metal , plastic , flex and plastic flex blades are ? So if anyone can advice or if there is a better make or product out there , that would be great thanks
Hi all , thinking of trying one out , just for mainly flattening ceilings ( i dont use stilts ) so thinking of using a ss on a pole to save the ole knees keep getting up and down lol . I have looked into it a little bit , but not sure what the difference is on the metal , plastic , flex and plastic flex blades are ? So if anyone can advice or if there is a better make or product out there , that would be great thanks C .
I couldn't get on with mine got a full brand new set in the shed doing f**k all.might give it another go when I'm back in.

I watched a bit , likes a bit of headroom , think I'd get neck ache

I think they're great and use them all the time, relative to the amount of plastering that goes on in my world i suppose, but each to their own.
[/QUOT
i haven't tried it yet but someone, brought one to college but wouldent let us have a go because he said it was fragile

If you want to see all 3 versions being used, then one example would be this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHiDeDtOeU

He catches a lot of flak, here on TPF, but, overall, I think the guy means well.
Anyway, it's not about him, it's about the speedskims, so watch it or don't, as you see fit.

The ST doesn't leave as smooth a finish as the SF. The ST is (mostly) just for getting your wet plaster level.
The SF steel blade leaves a cleaner finish, but it is a bit more flexible than the ST blade.
The plastic flex (which I haven't used) seems to be aimed just at putting a quick eggshell finish on a large area, at the end of a set.

For me, the single biggest advantage of using a speedskim (or any spat) is getting an overall level coat of plaster, on large areas, which can then be worked and finished with a trowel. Therefore, my take on it is that if you're only going to get one speedskim, then I agree with Chrispy - blue plastic ST blade, for levelling wet plaster, and then trowel the remaining stages. 900 or 1200.
thats a good one thank you

Its not made of glass fragile though. You can nick the blade, but I wouldn't call it fragile. He obviously didn't want you playing with his new toy.

I've had the 600 st for a year now start off with that one probably the only one you will need it's get your plaster flat and quick let the the trowel pick up the rest of the set afterwards and your golden I only use them for ceilings to be honest and there a good bit of kit