Speedskim ...help/advice please .

Members online

church

Hi all , thinking of trying one out , just for mainly flattening ceilings ( i dont use stilts ) so thinking of using a ss on a pole to save the ole knees keep getting up and down lol . I have looked into it a little bit , but not sure what the difference is on the metal , plastic , flex and plastic flex blades are ? So if anyone can advice or if there is a better make or product out there , that would be great thanks C .

Hi all , thinking of trying one out , just for mainly flattening ceilings ( i dont use stilts ) so thinking of using a ss on a pole to save the ole knees keep getting up and down lol . I have looked into it a little bit , but not sure what the difference is on the metal , plastic , flex and plastic flex blades are ? So if anyone can advice or if there is a better make or product out there , that would be great thanks C .

Plastic blade 'ST' will be best for flattening.

@Vincey

I could never get on with the fuckinng thing at all - threw it in the bin

I think they're great and use them all the time, relative to the amount of plastering that goes on in my world i suppose, but each to their own.

Blue blade are class get over it as soon as you've put on,getting timings right is key,so give it that 1st flatten before you wash out even,try give it two crosses,ull still have to use a trowel but it makes it 10xs better when troweling up its effortless..get 6ft aswell for the walls

Get a spat instead, does everything a speed skim does but can take it right up last trowel stage of a set if times right!

Can you float? There a piece of piss,if you can float you can certainly use a speed skim,having it at right angle and timing is key otherwise there shite
Cant even board stud walls.

It just seemed to leave lines.
When I start that job I.ll make a video see if I can be trained. I thought I was using it to early

Cant even board stud walls.

It just seemed to leave lines.
When I start that job I.ll make a video see if I can be trained. I thought I was using it to early
What you want to do is bend your corners back of the speed skim,I snipped mine and rounded off with wet and dry sandpaper,no such thing as going over too early on speed skim it's when its best

If you want to see all 3 versions being used, then one example would be this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHiDeDtOeU

He catches a lot of flak, here on TPF, but, overall, I think the guy means well.
Anyway, it's not about him, it's about the speedskims, so watch it or don't, as you see fit.

The ST doesn't leave as smooth a finish as the SF. The ST is (mostly) just for getting your wet plaster level.
The SF steel blade leaves a cleaner finish, but it is a bit more flexible than the ST blade.
The plastic flex (which I haven't used) seems to be aimed just at putting a quick eggshell finish on a large area, at the end of a set.

For me, the single biggest advantage of using a speedskim (or any spat) is getting an overall level coat of plaster, on large areas, which can then be worked and finished with a trowel. Therefore, my take on it is that if you're only going to get one speedskim, then I agree with Chrispy - blue plastic ST blade, for levelling wet plaster, and then trowel the remaining stages. 900 or 1200.

Last edited:
If you want to see all 3 versions being used, then one example would be this video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmHiDeDtOeU

He catches a lot of flak, here on TPF, but, overall, I think the guy means well.
Anyway, it's not about him, it's about the speedskims, so watch it or don't, as you see fit.
Sounds like it’s you on the video by the way your defending him! I’m not watching but am fully convinced it’s you just saying!

Sounds like it’s you on the video by the way your defending him! I’m not watching but am fully convinced it’s you just saying!

It's easy to throw stones at him. I was just being even-handed. Nothing more.

I only posted the video (already knowing he gets flak on TPF) because it's about the only video I know of that shows all 3 speedskims being used. If you know of another showing all 3 in use, then by all means link it :coffe:

Anyone who posts videos up on a platform like YouTube needs to be prepared for s**t imo it’s the nature of the beast in the modern world

Yeah, there's always gonna be some haters.

But it's all relative, considering some of the malarky that gets posted on youtube and facebook, about god knows what.... :frio:

@church

Forgot to mention:

1200 is great for walls, but, if you're mostly using it for ceilings, you might find 900 (or even 600) more controllable on the end of a pole.

Problem with 600 is it doesn't span much area.

Your decision... (y)

Wrong again!

As ye know I.m no professional but I.d say that's rounded off
15876480427996037870149447722108.jpg