Spat recommendations

Members online

Status
Not open for further replies.

el_indio

Hombres
Following on from my previous lengthy question about a large ceiling.....
Any recommendations on spatulas??
EZ Spat
Refina
Speedskim
Was looking at Speedskims a week or 2 ago for a long wall but some of you recommended others in the previous thread.
Some seem to be plastic some aluminium.
Any suggestions/recommendations about 'em?

I have only used the @Speedskim and not tried the others... so cant pass judgement on them but the speedskim is good for flattening in but i think the others are good for finishing as well... although the speedskim can be used to finish with as well...once again I cant comment on that as I have never tried to :-\

I wouldnt try anything smaller than 1200mm I have a 600 but rarely use it... (ok use it less than the 1200 :) )

I think @Marshy likes the @Plasterers1StopShop eze spat...

Any reason to choose aluminium over plastic? Or vice versa.
Bought an plaziflex for some curved ceilings a bit ago. Worked a treat but found the plastic polished the plaster a little too much (ie might be a pain to paint)

I have eze spat, love it.
Can flatten and finish with it, although I would personally use it just for finishing until you get the hang of it.
Had it probably about 8 weeks now and still improving with it.
The Refina one is probably the same but hasn't the facility of a replacement blade for under a tenner.

Can flatten and finish with it, although I would personally use it just for finishing until you get the hang of it.
The Refina one is probably the same but hasn't the facility of a replacement blade for under a tenner.
I haven't finished with the eze spat. Don't no why. Might try it on my next job

I final trowel all walls with the eze as well Clemo, I'd guess your not getting half the use out of it.....

Cheers K

What size do you use K?

I have only used the @Speedskim and not tried the others... so cant pass judgement on them but the speedskim is good for flattening in but i think the others are good for finishing as well... although the speedskim can be used to finish with as well...once again I cant comment on that as I have never tried to :-\

I wouldnt try anything smaller than 1200mm I have a 600 but rarely use it... (ok use it less than the 1200 :) )

I think @Marshy likes the @Plasterers1StopShop eze spat...

Thanks Danny ~ just for those that aren't familiar with the new ST (blue), you can flatten and finish with them. The pvc allows you to get your second coat on straight away. Typically they condense a gauge by approx 40min. As I said you can finish the work as well with the ST - see image below, 55m2 ceiling in a school in South London. This was completed Friday by Aaron from Ultimate Plastering...

IMG_3130.JPG

For those who prefer stainless steel as the contact point (but with all the benefits in terms of flexibility of the PVC), our SF (pink) delivers a great finish. The SF was a brave design and has (like all good things) taken some tweaking to perfect. Current model was upgraded recently and is now manufactured using 3M high flex/high bond all weather tape, with 0.24mm Sheffield spring steel as the tip.
New generation SF (due for launch in 7 weeks) will have the same co-ex gasket feature as the current ST (blue), meaning smooth blade change and great performance. Other enhancements include wider 3M tape and anti-lift seating area for the spring steel.
Aaron tried the new generation SF today said it 'rocks' .. ;-)

Hope that's all helpful... :)

Last edited:
Thanks Danny ~ just for those that aren't familiar with the new ST (blue), you can flatten and finish with them. The pvc allows you to get your second coat on straight away. Typically they condense a gauge by approx 40min. As I said you can finish the work as well with the ST - see image below, 55m2 ceiling in a school in South London. This was completed Friday by Aaron from Ultimate Plastering...

View attachment 6369

For those who prefer stainless steel as the contact point (but with all the benefits in terms of flexibility of the pvc) our SF (pink) delivers a great finish. The SF was a brave design and has (like all good things) taken some tweaking to perfect. Current model was improved and is produced with 3M high flex/high bond all weather tape, with Sheffield spring steel as the tip.
New generation SF (due for launch in 7 weeks) will have the same gasket feature as the current ST (blue), meaning smooth blade change and great performance. Other enhancements include wider 3M tape and anti-lift seating area for the spring steel.

Hes done well there on a pair of steps! [emoji4]
Cant go wrong with the st speedskim, quality tool.

@el_indio you wont regret it but ive been using them over 12 months now so you will need to find your feet as it were. @BigK got used to his now but get in touch if you need any help?? Where are you based?? If not toofar away from me i'l come and show you first hand if you like? Id not charge you mate but a bacon buttie and brew would be most welcome lol

@el_indio you wont regret it but ive been using them over 12 months now so you will need to find your feet as it were. @BigK got used to his now but get in touch if you need any help?? Where are you based?? If not toofar away from me i'l come and show you first hand if you like? Id not charge you mate but a bacon buttie and brew would be most welcome lol
Cheers Marshy
Agree, so Reckon I'll just try it on some of the smaller walls I've got to do here to start with.
Ceilings I'll stick to the trowel for now but hoping this new bit o' kit takes the back ache out of them in the future.
Based in Liverpool so prob a bit far for you to come, offer much appreciated though, and may well contact you if it throws me.
BigK suggested the 800 so I went with that.

View attachment 6369

For those who prefer stainless steel as the contact point (but with all the benefits in terms of flexibility of the PVC), our SF (pink) delivers a great finish. The SF was a brave design and has (like all good things) taken some tweaking to perfect. Current model was upgraded recently and is now manufactured using 3M high flex/high bond all weather tape, with 0.24mm Sheffield spring steel as the tip.
New generation SF (due for launch in 7 weeks) will have the same co-ex gasket feature as the current ST (blue), meaning smooth blade change and great performance. Other enhancements include wider 3M tape and anti-lift seating area for the spring steel.

Is it just the camera and light etc but that ceiling doesnt look flat to me at all!?? My mate @scottie5 uses the speedskim and his work doesnt look like that ???

Cheers Marshy
Agree, so Reckon I'll just try it on some of the smaller walls I've got to do here to start with.
Ceilings I'll stick to the trowel for now but hoping this new bit o' kit takes the back ache out of them in the future.
Based in Liverpool so prob a bit far for you to come, offer much appreciated though, and may well contact you if it throws me.
BigK suggested the 800 so I went with that.
Im based in Lancashire so your not other end of the country. I have the 1m and 600 and use the 600 most of the time. Try it and i will come and visit you on one of your jobs and hopefully help you out to use it ??? The offer is there pal

Im based in Lancashire so your not other end of the country. I have the 1m and 600 and use the 600 most of the time. Try it and i will come and visit you on one of your jobs and hopefully help you out to use it ??? The offer is there pal
Cheers mate, a good egg you

Think im going to get a eze spat , @Plasterers1StopShop so rememeber me i mentioned the forum for other gear dunno if i got the super special discount thou ?!? Gunna get a few bits thou lol

Am away on my hols at the moment mate. Am back in on the 10th. If you call the office to place the order let me know just before you do it and I will see what discount I can arrange for you :rock:

Is it just the camera and light etc but that ceiling doesnt look flat to me at all!?? My mate @scottie5 uses the speedskim and his work doesnt look like that ???

Hopefully It'll dry straight ;).
I do really like both the spat and speedskim I use both through my set, the 1800 st speedy knocks finish down unbelievably flat very quickly.
I have put a finish on with both but generally give it the last wipe with the superted.
They are both superbly engineered and I love them both, but if I could only rescue one from a burning building id have to take the speedy (but only just).

Don't know about it being flat or not Marshy, but it's taking the speed out of speedskim!
2lads on stilts 55m2 for 2 o clock???
That's less than 30 each??
Not knocking the speedskim but it's hardly the ideal scenario to promote the gear!!

Don't know about it being flat or not Marshy, but it's taking the speed out of speedskim!
2lads on stilts 55m2 for 2 o clock???
That's less than 30 each??
Not knocking the speedskim but it's hardly the ideal scenario to promote the gear!!

They do ok mate, the objective just to show a specific no pressure job, troweling limited to the edges only using the ST with Pole Attachment. Aaron uses the equipment all the time - saves him a lot of time everyday, and reduces his aches & pains in the process ;-)

They do ok mate, the objective just to show a specific no pressure job, troweling limited to the edges only using the ST with Pole Attachment. Aaron uses the equipment all the time - saves him a lot of time everyday, and reduces his aches & pains in the process ;-)

Could you give me a breakdown of which does what? My heads a bit battered after a long day lol!!

Eg. Name- material- what it's used for.

Just tilt it straighter Clemo and wipe over, you've gotta try it!!
Actually tried using mine a little bit straighter than I have been this week with improved results, it's just trying different ways until you find what suits best.
I did this 55m2 one a couple of weeks ago, wasn't perfection like but good enough,
ImageUploadedByThe Plasterers Forum1438207912.482431.jpg

How did you get it that good with the eze. I haven't tried to finish with my 600 yet.
Practice mate continuos cross trowling as it were. Admittedly i over did it on thaf one but was more to prove a point as was getting pissed off people saying you cant finish with them when i know that you can and it works. I only trowled the angles in thats all. Plus my camera makes anybodys work look good .... even mine lol :inocente:

Status
Not open for further replies.